Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

First of all, I'm a Pentium guy so that's why I'm asking for some help. (hear me out before you hate me)
I've only been a Pentium guy because that's all I've ever known. BUT, after reading all the articles, reviews, etc. it's clear that those days are over. I wish this new system was for me but it's for a friend. So here's the deal, I know AMD is the way to go. He wants the fastest gaming comp he can get. Unfortunately we are on a budget, he would like to keep the tower under 1,500. Now I've done some pricing and I know this can be done. I know what I would do if it were a Pentium system but he needs AMD baby! So that's where all of you come in. Here's what I need.

1. Case - This guy is not into all the flash, just wants a simple but attractive looking box. I've picked out the AMS GMONO Black Mid-Tower Case, Model "CF-2029", but if someone knows of a better solution please don't hesitate.

2. Processor - I've read about the processors and "if possible" I would like to use the Athlon 64 3800+. (this may not be possible with our price limit but let's try) If not possible other processor suggestions would be helpful.

3. Motherboard - He is "not" an overclocker, so let's try to suggest a value board with great features and basic overclocking options that might be used in the future.

4. Video Card - Already leaning HEAVILY towards the 6800 GT @ 399.

5. Sound Card - In order to save let's try to get a mobo with good onboard sound.

6. Memory - Whatever type of value ram for the motherboard chosen that has some potential for future overclocking. (preferably 1GIG, 512x2)

7. Hard Drive/CDRW/DVD/Floppy - Already have this pretty much covered. Looking at a WD 74GB Raptor or the WD 160GB SATA, if we need to save some cash. Lite-On 52X32X52 CD-RW, Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM, and the Samsung Black 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive. All of these items will deduct roughly 250 from the 1,500 or 150 if you use the cheaper HD. (i know some of you will suggest running raid0 but he doesn't even know what it is and i really don't want to have to rebuild his comp if it ever goes down so let's try to keep it simple)

8. Power Supply - Always been a fan of Antec but any suggestions are welcome. (should it be over 500W?)

9. Cooling - Of course extra case fans but what I'm really concerned about is cooling the processor. If he's not going to be overclocking, will the stock HSF do? He may OC in the future but probably only to extend the life of the comp when it starts to get dated. If there are any cheap but very good HSF replacements for AMD now I will certainly listen to your suggestions.

Well I think that about covers it. I know I'm asking alot but I also know there's a bunch of you out there who just love the challenge. I love to do this stuff myself but I just don't know enough about AMD systems to make a wise choice. I'm going to read up on it but that takes to long and he wants to start buying asap. Obviously my main concern here is the mobo/processor combination. Thanks in advance guys!

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I'd go for an

CPU:
A64 3500+ Retail
MOBO: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum NVIDIA nForce3
MEMORY: Corsair XMS Low Latency (512x2) Dual Channel Kit

I really dont think that you're going to be able to get both the 3800+ and 6800GT within that budget. I think it comes down to one or the other...

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Evil!

Anyone else? Forget about the other stuff just suggest a processor mobo combo if you could? What mobo would you guys choose for the Athlon 64 3800+?

I need to start buying!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I'd go for an

CPU: A64 3500+ Retail
MOBO: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum NVIDIA nForce3
MEMORY: Corsair XMS Low Latency (512x2) Dual Channel Kit

I really dont think that you're going to be able to get both the 3800+ and 6800GT within that budget. I think it comes down to one or the other...

Good luck.

I'll second your lay out Evil XP2400, good all around set up, but he could also go with OCZ or Muskin for memory

The MSI Neo Platinum mobo's are great, so I would go for it with out a doubt

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys, I was all but sold on the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum until I started looking a little closer. Just do a search on google for "MSI Neo Platinum problems" and you'll know what I mean. Not only is the board experiencing blue screens and reboot problems for some, there is also a 1-5 second lag problem when playing some games online. They haven't tracked down the issue's yet so it makes me a little leery to purchase the board. Any other board suggestions?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

go for a dfi they are excellent ocers

Which one?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL
if your going witha skt A go for a lanparty nf2 ultra b or idf you are going with skt 754 go with a lanparty ut 250gb
He is going with skt 939. There's no DFI motherboard avaliable for 939's yet, there will be though... Hopefully by december, Nforce 4 SLI

I dont know, what other motherboard to suggest UB, I always try to stick with nforce chipsets, but the other brands that make nf3 boards(gygabite, epox) for s939 are not in my prefered list.

·
OG Overclocker
875 Posts
POWER : PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 510. Ive heard a lot of good things about this psu.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RADEON
POWER : PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 510. Ive heard a lot of good things about this psu.
ha you brought this back from the dead.. This guy probably has a system now.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
ASUS A8V
1GB of OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 Rev.2
agree but ditch the Asus and get him a Epox witch is cheaper and still a good board

1 - 15 of 15 Posts