Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo, I am looking to upgrade my speaker set up from Z-5500's and have kind of decided on the following kit. I listed to mailnly rock (At volume) and a tiny bit of DnB depending on my mood.

Monitor Audio BR2 Speakers in black:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=5824&aid=15036

Monitor Audio BRW10 Subwoofer in black:

Subject to change**

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=5829

I will be running from my ASUS Xonar STX with Stereo RCA cable. I won't be getting it all in one hit due to the prices, however I will probably get the speakers and AMP at the same time, then the sub a few weeks later when I next get paid.

My question is, what AMP for under £250 will drive them speakers and sub properly and not be under powered? Volume is important to me

Cheers

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

The one I am currently looking at is a Nad C325 BEE Titanium.

Will this provide enough power to make them speakers and sub work well?

·
Banned
2,135 Posts
I'd say buy a used Marantz amp for around £200 and budget about £300 for some used B&W.

Also when it comes to amps that cost £250 they certainly have "enough power" to drive speakers you can purchase for a similar price.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eureka
View Post

I'd say buy a used Marantz amp for around £200 and budget about £300 for some used B&W.

Also when it comes to amps that cost £250 they certainly have "enough power" to drive speakers you can purchase for a similar price.

Thanks for the opinion but I really don't want to buy used gear.

Also, theres nothing wrong with those speakers are there?

They come highly reccomended apparently.

Also, what Marantz amp should I be looking for?

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker
View Post

Anyone?

The one I am currently looking at is a Nad C325 BEE Titanium.

Will this provide enough power to make them speakers and sub work well?

NAD is a great company, really nice warm sound to them rather then cold sound of newer stuff. English company as well I believe
What's the wattage on it?

~B~

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
50 watts RMS per channel with 100 peak.

I wouldn't mind staying as english as possible to be honest because Monitor Audio are also English.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
cambridge audio might be a good option. Maybe slightly easier to come by?

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
View Post

cambridge audio might be a good option. Maybe slightly easier to come by?

I'll take a look about now.

But soloz, whilst your here, what you think of the speakers. Ignore the sub at the moment because im not certain on it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
A pair of the B&W 686 or 685 work get pretty good sound for the money, and are based upon the technologies used in their upper line of speakers. The highs and mids are very warm and do amazing things for an electric guitar. The lows are fairly tight for the speaker size are taper off quite a bit around 60-70 Hz (the larger 685's do get significantly better bass extension). An amp with 50-75 watts RMS should be more than enough for these speakers in a small room or as replacements for a computer speaker setup.

I've tried a pair on the Marantz SR4003 and they sounded pretty good. A couple Denon receivers that I tried took some of the warmth out of the sound. Rotel pairs very nicely but is a bit on the pricey side.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well heres a good looking amp. £280 so getting at my top end but if its worth it. I will get it.

Cambridge Audio AZUR 540A V2

Gives 60 watts RMS into 8 Ohms per channel and has a pre out so I can hook up a sub.

Worth it to get that you think?

Or is 60 watts RMS really not needed?

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/...MB-540A-V2-BLK

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I haven't heard the Cambridge integrateds except in passing. I've heard good things about them though.

It all depends on how loud you want to listen and how far away you will be seated.

the speakers you are planning on getting are rated at 90dB and 6ohms.

First and foremost you want an amp rated at 6ohms, preferably one rated for 4ohm use. If you can't find this then at least a heavy duty 8ohm amp and it shouldn't have a problem with a 6ohm load.

the cambridge 540 v2 is rated at 80wpc into 4ohms
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summar...n+2)+amplifier
so for a 6ohm load you'll probably get around 70wpc
if you could swing the 640v2 it has a beefier power supply and a toroidal transformer.

That said, at one meter away the speakers will play to 90dB with only 1 watt playing through them. This is loud IMHO, much louder than I would want for near-field listening.

honestly you could probably get by with a nice chipamp and these speakers. Or a nice 8wpc or something similar tube amp.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you reckon the 640A V2 would be a good beefy amp with a good bit of headroom for future upgrades?

The room these are going to be in is a bedroom so as a comparison, my Z-5500's on 50% standard without the boost is very loud standing anywhere.

Depending on how much money I am prepared to drop at the time, I may just get the 540 v2 but if that 640v2 will be better then thats the preference.

Cheers soloz, +rep if I could.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Quote:

View Post

50 watts RMS per channel with 100 peak.

I wouldn't mind staying as english as possible to be honest because Monitor Audio are also English.

@ 8 ohms? Should be fine be great. Judging by the shelf speakers this isn't going in a big room so sound quality over loudness will be more important and in my opinion the NAD would be great, excellent amps. I just inherited one from my dad.

~B~

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

View Post

But soloz, whilst your here, what you think of the speakers. Ignore the sub at the moment because im not certain on it.

I've heard good things about the speakers, but never actually heard them. they were recommended to me when I was looking at speakers a couple years ago, but never got the chance to demo a pair.

Honestly, if I were to get a new pair of monitors today I would probably get a pair of these:
http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=148
or if you aren't going to use them near a wall the 1x would be a good option as they are rear ported.
here's a review:
http://www.affordableaudio.org/GRResearchNEO1X.pdf

They are a kit and I'd have to build them, but I'm feeling up to the challenge and I think it'd be fun. But were I to build a pair I'd go all out. I'd probably be looking at just south of $600 before enclosures, if I went with the PartsExpress ones they'd be another $100 or so... but I'd really like to try my hand at some custom real wood veneer enclosures next time I visit my parents and have a weekend in my dad's shop... so they'd be a bit more!

I've been very impressed with my ELT525T's from av123. for the price they simply can't be beat (well I haven't found anything)
Once again yesterday I was impressed again when I upgraded sources in my living room from an Oppo 980H to an Oppo BDP-83. The towers were hitting low and producing vibrations I could actually feel in the floor... and my sub wasn't even helping them!

Since they are a tower you don't need a stand so that is a plus and helps offset the added cost for a tower.

Shipping is likely prohibitive, but you could check here:
http://www.av123.nl/luidsprekers/pag...525/index.html

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers guys, think I have settled on the following for now.

Once I get paid, I will start buying:

Cambridge Audio 640A V2 Amplifier
Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 Left & Right Speakers
Monitor Audio Bronze BRW10 Subwoofer

With some quality cabling obviously. I hope to see a nice little jump up in quality from my Z-5500's.

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
Cheers guys, think I have settled on the following for now.

Once I get paid, I will start buying:

Cambridge Audio 640A V2 Amplifier
Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 Left & Right Speakers
Monitor Audio Bronze BRW10 Subwoofer

With some quality cabling obviously. I hope to see a nice little jump up in quality from my Z-5500's.
You'll be blown away :]

Are the speakers going to be placed directly onto a desk/shelf?? If so, you want to look into isolation.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

You'll be blown away :]

Are the speakers going to be placed directly onto a desk/shelf?? If so, you want to look into isolation.

I will be getting some stands for them as they will be positioned properly as to get the real stero effect.

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I will be getting some stands for them as they will be positioned properly as to get the real stero effect.

Good choice Sir, I recommend the Atacama Nexus stands

·
Banned
2,135 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I hope to see a nice little jump up in quality from my Z-5500's.

Defend them to the death eh?

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eureka
View Post

Defend them to the death eh?

Haha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts