Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you read the title. I need an antivirus program (doesn't need to be new at all) that can run from a 720KB floppy. We will use it to scan the warranty machines that come back to the shop.

Anything like this exist?

·
Registered
989 Posts
ehhh not for a floppy, why cant you use a cd?

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
You might try Norton or McCaffee...

But the way we've done it (private builds) is to remove the hard drive install it in a functional system and booted into safe mode and then scanned it there.

~Ceadder

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The machines do not have optical drives. This is seriously old tech.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
Yeah I kinda figured. You're only option here is to try to put something together using probably a Gigabyte or MSi board on a test bench as no case is necessary to get the drive tested. Their Refusal to kill off IDE standard is your gain.

It would be far more forgiving than what you're wanting.

~Ceadder

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

The machines do not have optical drives. This is seriously old tech.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadderman
View Post

Yeah I kinda figured. You're only option here is to try to put something together using probably a Gigabyte or MSi board on a test bench as no case is necessary to get the drive tested. Their Refusal to kill off IDE standard is your gain.

It would be far more forgiving than what you're wanting.

~Ceadder

Agreed. I think you need to macgyver something together.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love how complicated this keeps getting, lol.

These are custom made controllers for balancing machines. They do not have hard drives and all operate with custom circuit boards. DOS is stored in onboard memory that is built into the PCB and cannot be removed.

One of the warranty units seems to have some sort of virus. If we can't scan it, we have to format it and it also has some of the customer's files on it. We can't just transfer them, though, because there's a virus on the loose!

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
I don't know of any 720kb antivirus software, or even a database that small for all that matters. How did it get the virus? Could you transfer the data in the DOS system to floppies, then scan them on a different computer?

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
I think that you should transfer the files to a quarantine Drive and scan that then rather than looking for a stand alone floppy that may not even cover the virus that you're looking for.

Say it only confirms what you know. You're right back here looking for something to get rid of the bugger. I understand it sucks but I think this is your only option when you have to save the customers files. You can waste oodles of man hours on this issue or you can just cut to the chase and justify the expense.

Just my

~Ceadder

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

I love how complicated this keeps getting, lol.

These are custom made controllers for balancing machines. They do not have hard drives and all operate with custom circuit boards. DOS is stored in onboard memory that is built into the PCB and cannot be removed.

One of the warranty units seems to have some sort of virus. If we can't scan it, we have to format it and it also has some of the customer's files on it. We can't just transfer them, though, because there's a virus on the loose!

• Rep+
Reactions: xxbassplayerxx
1 - 13 of 13 Posts