Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am working on getting my next build together and the only thing that I am not 100% sure on is my boot drive. I am going with an NVME m2 drive in the 250gb range. and so far I think I have it narrowed down to the Corsair MP500 and Samsung 960 EVO. They are very similar in price and although I have used Samsung SSDs in the past (in 2.5" form) and only used one Corsair M2, Im still not sure what to go with.

Any other suggestions besides the two I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

·
Not New to OCN
1,745 Posts
I've used three different 960 EVO m.2's in three different PC's, and they all work well.

Realistically though, just get the one with the best $/GB ratio and you'll be fine.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
I would suggest the Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA drive instead. They are less expensive than the M.2 NVMe drives, so that would allow you to get a 500GB drive without increasing the price by an unreasonable amount (960 EVO 250GB $120 vs 860 EVO 500GB $170 on Amazon). The raw benchmark performance can be less with the 860 but in real world usage, you won't notice much difference.

I always go for more capacity in SSDs, which is why I got a 960 Pro 2TB drive. The 512GB drive I had before felt cramped and I knew that a 1TB drive would just take a bit longer to feel cramped. Haven't felt that way at all with the 2TB drive.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
I'd opt for a mydigitalssd sbx personally. It is a very reliable and well-performing nvme drive.

Sure, the 960evo stomps it in most benchmarks, but let's be real, you aren't ever going to notice in actual use unless you're running a dataserver. On the other hand, you absolutely will notice the extra hundred bucks in your wallet or the significantly larger SSD capacity should you opt to reinvest that saved cash into a larger model.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice. The last PC I built had a Corsair M2 drive and the OS just seemed so much snappier than on my older rig with a Crucial MX200. Sure it wasn't bogged down by a bunch of software running in the background yet, but it did feel faster to me. I don't really need anything bigger than 250 as I only put my OS and apps on it. Everything else gets dumped on other SSDs and HDs in my system.

Leaning towards the Samsung.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Please, do not go for the "cheaper option". I have used about a dozen NVMe drives in the last 2 years. They vary much in quality.

For instance, the A400 NVMe drive I have here, has worse write speeds then most HDDs! They skewed the read speed through the roof at the cost of poor write performance.

Compare this to a higher quality Intel drive and the results are quite clear.

The most important is 4k random (many small files, multiple copies at once)... 1500MB/s sequential is faster than 120MB/s (1Gbit) networks, or copy files to/from HDD. Sequential is faster than 500MB/s copying to/from SATA SSDs.

You have to consider where am I reading/writing data from? Loading game files? Writing raw video?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts