Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So recently I acquired the ASUS Republic of Gamers Areion 10 Gigabit Ethernet card to do better than stock Ethernet. And it did help actually. However there must be more that I can do with the settings to improve upon this. My problem is keeping solid connections to players. It is improved, but there must be more that I can do.

This is my setup :

I have these settings for my Ethernet :

Command Prompt NETSH show Global:

Receive-Side Scaling State : Enabled
Chimney Offloading State : Disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : Normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : Default
ECN Capability : Enabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : Disabled
Initial RTO : 3000
Receive Segment Coalescing State : Enabled
Non Sack Rtt Resiliency : Disabled
Max SYN Retransmissions : 2
Fast Open : Enabled
Fast Open Fallback : Enabled
Pacing Profile : Off

ROG AREION 10G Settings:

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power : Disabled
ARP Offload : Enabled
Device Sleep On Disconnect : Disabled
Direct Cache Access : Legacy Descriptor
Downshift retries : 7
Flow Control : Rx & Tx Enabled
Interrupt Moderation : Enabled
Interrupt Moderation Rate : Adaptive
IPv4 Checksum Offload : Disabled
Jumbo Packet : Disabled
Large Send Offload V1 (IPv4) : Enabled
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4) : Enabled
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) : Enabled
Link Speed : 1G (I need to buy a 10G switch board before being able to fully utilize)
Locally Administered Address : Not Present
Log Link State Event : Enabled
Maximum number of RSS Queues : 8 Queues
NS Offload : Enabled
Priority & VLAN : Priority & VLAN Enabled
Receive Buffers : 1024
Receive Side Scaling : Enabled
Recv Segment Coalescing (IPv4) : Enabled
Recv Segment Coalescing (IPv6) : Enabled
TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) : Disabled
TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) : Disabled
Transmit Buffers : 4096
VLAN ID : 0
VLAN Monitor mode : Diabled
Wait for Link : Auto Detect
Wake from power off state : Enabled
Wake on Link Settings : Disabled
Wake on Magic Packet : Enabled
Wake on Pattern Match : Enabled
Wake on Ping : Disabled

Basically the server is being used as a host for games. I bet if you did an image search, you would find ARK: Survival Evolved. The problem is, the disconnecting problem. The ethernet card that I obtained made a big difference over traditional ethernet. But I need to do better for my players, and somebody else knows more than I do in setting up these network settings to do more out of this rig.

·
Premium Member
6,683 Posts
What router do you have, and modem if applicable. As well as internet speeds?

It is entirely possible the router is crapping out with multiple player connections into your server. Consumer routers cant handle much.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What router do you have, and modem is applicable. As well as internet speeds?

It is entirely possible the router is crapping out with multiple player connections into your server. Consumer routers cant handle much.
The modem is an ASUS DSL-AC88U. The switch board between the modem and the server, I don't know the name of. It is running as shown, at 1 Gigabit. I hope to replace the switch board. The modem is recently new. The WAN connection is NBN 100 Mbps. Real world performance is 9.2 MB/s down, 4.5 MB/s up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) : Enabled
TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) : Enabled

Large Send Offload V1 (IPv4) : Disabled
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4) : Disabled
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) : Disabled

Interrupt Moderation Rate : Medium

I made these changes, and it made a good difference in quality. This is what I was talking about when I was making this thread. The settings I can change now to make it work better.
And yeah I will be buying a new switch board. I will be aiming for Enterprise switching, with 70 Gigabit across the switch, and a good number of 10 Gigabit and 1 Gigabit ports, that can handle massive packet spamming.

·
Premium Member
6,683 Posts
Most people dont ever change anything off of the default, and very few host game servers. So you really arent likely to find someone who knows a lot about what you should change for these settings.

My personal thoughts are that you shouldnt even bother with any of this stuff, as server stability with client connections is going to be far more affected by your router, the ISP, and all the connection points in between before you even have to think about the .5% gain that can be had from messing with your own NIC driver.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most people dont ever change anything off of the default, and very few host game servers. So you really arent likely to find someone who knows a lot about what you should change for these settings.

My personal thoughts are that you shouldnt even bother with any of this stuff, as server stability with client connections is going to be far more affected by your router, the ISP, and all the connection points in between before you even have to think about the .5% gain that can be had from messing with your own NIC driver.
^^This for the most part. You'd have to troubleshoot each person individually to see why they're dropping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts