Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this computer is for an elderly friend whom runs a buisness from his house. his current machine is a 1.8ghz p4 with 512 ram, lame intel onboard gpu, a psu not to brag about, and a 30gb hdd.

Last night his computer crashed, he called me, and the mobo REFUSES to read any hdd's or disc drives. so i've come to the concllusion the disc controllers are dead. it happens.

SO to my question im going to be building him a new machine. I've convinced him the performance and warranty/cost ratio is far better then dell - which is what he has.

I attached the shopping cart that i have come up with, but i have NEVER built an amd and dunno if the processor is worth the bucks, and if the mobo's onboard gpu is good enough for google earth, which is the most graphics intensive thing he does.

is the psu good? i've always used corsair's, but their a little high for the $300 budget he gave me.

could i eliminate the case and shove it all into the dell case? i figured i MIGHT be able to because of no addon gpu, and the cpu will run super cool cause its amd right?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Go to Intel instead.
It's easier

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerbitroy
View Post

Go to Intel instead.
It's easier

what?

That build looks fine for a business I think. But I think you could use that case of yours and get a cheaper processor.

AFAIK amds don't run cool but since it's only for a business it wont be under extreme load much at all.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
intel cost more. runs hotter. intel is overkill for doing ms office, email, and google earth. hence why an amd x2 is the right choice. thx for your input anyways though.

oh btw folks i have a spare copy of vista x64 so ima upgrade him from xp, especially cause he was still on sp1 lawl.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo
View Post

intel cost more. runs hotter. intel is overkill for doing ms office, email, and google earth. hence why an amd x2 is the right choice. thx for your input anyways though.

oh btw folks i have a spare copy of vista x64 so ima upgrade him from xp, especially cause he was still on sp1 lawl.

i was just messing, looks like a good build to me

SORRY ABOUT DOUBLE POSTING!!

• Rep+
Reactions: Greensystemsgo

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilspongebob72
View Post

what?

That build looks fine for a business I think. But I think you could use that case of yours and get a cheaper processor.

AFAIK amds don't run cool but since it's only for a business it wont be under extreme load much at all.

what cpu would you reccomend? i just need something like i said for buisness work, and preferably with a cpu fan.

i built another customer a px3 and out of box with stock hsf it ran at ~27c - i was flippen amazed.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Build looks okay. You can probably put everything in the Dell case, provided it is the ATX standard case.
I don't know if the onboard will work well...the newer 790GX onboard series would suffice..

• Rep+
Reactions: Greensystemsgo

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dumped the case and for a penny more upgraded to black kuma am2+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103678

could you rec a mobo with appropiate gpu or a very cheap low profile card?

like stated above ive never done amd, and actually ati either.

only amd builds i've done it was a cpu/mobo p2x4 combo deal from frys.

but i have done right above 10 full intel builds.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Here's a 3450 for $20 after mail-in, $30 before. For what he will be doing, anything you get him will be overkill, but the CPU you chose will perform well. Athlons are pretty solid, and now cheap. Stock heatsink/fan works fine.

You might want to check out the Dell case if you have an ATX mobo lying around, because it might not fit.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this mobo has an onboard nvidia 6100 gpu. is that decent enough for google earth? his res is 1024x768. i think i can recall my 5200 running it ok back in the day...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128383 is the new option for mobo's, its also mico atx. however if that answer is no for ditching the gpu, illl just stick with this mobo, that 3450.

also it says that the board needs 1066 ram, but cant i still use the slightly cheaper ddr800?

also will that rosewill 350 psu be ok for all this? i was not initially intending on a dedicated gpu, but w.e. stuff happens.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerbitroy
View Post

Go to Intel instead.
It's easier

LOL AMD is easier and way less expensive duo core man.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimibgood View Post
LOL AMD is easier and way less expensive duo core man.
I wouldn't know

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo
View Post

this mobo has an onboard nvidia 6100 gpu. is that decent enough for google earth? his res is 1024x768. i think i can recall my 5200 running it ok back in the day...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128383 is the new option for mobo's, its also mico atx. however if that answer is no for ditching the gpu, illl just stick with this mobo, that 3450.

also it says that the board needs 1066 ram, but cant i still use the slightly cheaper ddr800?

also will that rosewill 350 psu be ok for all this? i was not initially intending on a dedicated gpu, but w.e. stuff happens.

At that resolution, the 6100 igp will be fine.
DDR2-1066 is max it will run. ddr2-800 will be just fine.
I'm not a fan of cheaply made psu's. Inexpensive I like, but not a the expense of quality.

Here's what I would get for $300

PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS370X 370W $39.99 free shipping

Athlon II X2 250 + ASUS M4A78-EM Combo $153.99

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 $26.49 free shipping

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA $26.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAJS 250GB $44.99 free shipping

Sub total = $292.45
shipping = $8.97
total = $ 301.42

Fast system, on budget, and more than enough performance for a business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts