Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello OCN

so I'm stuck using this ancient laptop for this internship thing and I can't afford another anyways....it's like a single core 1.6ghz dell with 256mb of RAM and like a 30gig hard drive. Basically its ancient but today I added a gig or RAM to it so now its 1 1/4 and it basically does the job and I can't risk it getting bad because of viruses. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on it and was about to install avast when i realized I don't want it using too much of the physical memory since I have to run like 3-4 programs at the same time and special software. So which antivirus (anti spyware, malware, worms, trojans etc. ) does the job fairly well and will use little physical memory?....i want the computer to be safe...and it has to be free
sorry but yeah....

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
There's lots....

MSE, Avira, AVG, list goes on. All three of them are good and practically give the same detection/protection/updates.

Also, I recommend CCleaner for weekly/monthly cleanings just to clean the old crap in the Temp folder and stuff... And also Malwarebytes for monthly scans.

I only use Malwarbytes and CCleaner because I'm not an idiot when it comes to keeping my PC clean.

The best anti virus is common sense ^_^

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaburrito
View Post

but do all those take up minimum physical memory?...that's a big issue for me
thanks+rep

yes..all take up minimum, i used avast once and omg i noticed the difference compared to avg

also avg has a link scanner that on google puts a green tick next to trusted sites and a red one on non trusted sites...

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
I use ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, it only uses around 16MB of ram, but if you want like nothing you need a free one like AVG. If you want 24/7 protection for several things not just viruses(malware, spyware etc) you need something monitoring which uses resources, the more it monitors, the safer you are, but the more resources it is likely to use. Something like ZA ES monitors all including your browser(Forcefield)& has the firewall which is needed not just virus protection. For all of that 16~Mb is not much for to ask for.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks ...scanning my computer with malwarebytes right now(its so slow though that it keeps pausing and my cpu usage is 94-100%)
I'm going to install CC cleaner & Auslogics Disk Degrag + malwarebytes (as usual)
and Microsoft Security ESsentials + AVG
so basically the only thing taking up RAm is MSE and AVG

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaburrito
View Post

thanks ...scanning my computer with malwarebytes right now(its so slow though that it keeps pausing and my cpu usage is 94-100%)
I'm going to install CC cleaner & Auslogics Disk Degrag + malwarebytes (as usual)
and Microsoft Security ESsentials + AVG
so basically the only thing taking up RAm is MSE and AVG

worth slowing down system a little than ruining the system its self eh..
good choice btw...

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I use ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, it only uses around 16MB of ram, but if you want like nothing you need a free one like AVG. If you want 24/7 protection for several things not just viruses(malware, spyware etc) you need something monitoring which uses resources, the more it monitors, the safer you are, but the more resources it is likely to use. Something like ZA ES monitors all including your browser(Forcefield)& has the firewall which is needed not just virus protection. For all of that 16~Mb is not much for to ask for.
People who can't browse the internet without having a program monitor their every move making sure you're not being stupid, don't deserve to browse the internet.

Just my personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaburrito View Post
but do all those take up minimum physical memory?...that's a big issue for me
Like a few others said, it's going to take up something but it will vary upon program.

MSE uses up less than 6MB on my computer.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
People who can't browse the internet without having a program monitor their every move making sure you're not being stupid, don't deserve to browse the internet.

Just my personal opinion.
that has nothing to do with it, it keeps certain spyware and automatic downloads from happening when browsing web pages. If you think you can catch instant load/downloads from happening in a split second, than by all means. I have had infections(causing reinstall) several times just by loading the wrong(infected) page.

Forcefield blocks such actions from happening, or allows you the option to decide before the page loads. It also blocks the processes that allow keyloggers and screen grabber malware use. I have yet to end up infected from browsing bad webpages since I upgraded to ES.

It is not to monitor stupidity it is too keep you safe from infected websites you stroll onto, it can happen to anyone.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost View Post
that has nothing to do with it, it keeps certain spyware and automatic downloads from happening when browsing web pages. If you think you can catch instant load/downloads from happening in a split second, than by all means. I have had infections(causing reinstall) several times just by loading the wrong(infected) page.

Forcefield blocks such actions from happening, or allows you the option to decide before the page loads. It also blocks the processes that allow keyloggers and screen grabber malware use. I have yet to end up infected from browsing bad webpages since I upgraded to ES.

It is not to monitor stupidity it is too keep you safe from infected websites you stroll onto, it can happen to anyone.
Noscript?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts