Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Dell S2716DG 1440P, 144hz, Gsync monitor. Cannot select 144hz in windows. Reading around it sounds like it requires a higher pixel clock speed than my GTX 670 provides. Any ideas on what monitors would support this? I cannot find pixel clock listed for the GPUs anywhere. Below is the list I believe to work...

-GTX 680
-GTX 770???
-GTX 780
-GTX 780Ti
-GTX 970
-GTX 980
-GTX 980Ti
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Did you plug in the monitor via DisplayPort?
Connecting it over hdmi will result in not being able to select 144Hz regardless of what GPU you have.

Aside from that, do you plan on gaming? Because I doubt you'll be able to run that many games at that resolution with a 670, much less be able to hit 144fps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyaena View Post

Did you plug in the monitor via DisplayPort?
Connecting it over hdmi will result in not being able to select 144Hz regardless of what GPU you have.

Aside from that, do you plan on gaming? Because I doubt you'll be able to run that many games at that resolution with a 670, much less be able to hit 144fps.
Yes I am using the supplied DP cable. I have read that perhaps the supplied DP cable is poor quality and I should try a different one, however, due to the second part of your question Id rather just upgrade GPUs anyways.

So far I've played CSGO, Overwatch, and Diablo 3 and performance is fine for me. CSGO I run mostly medium/low settings for reasons other than fps. D3 I've always ran high, Overwatch I am running on Ultra (not epic).

/edit Secondary thought, would it matter which DP I use on the GPU and/or the fact that I am running 2 other 1080p monitors as well (1 DVI, 1 DP to DVI cable)
 

·
Overclocker
Joined
·
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepheroth003 View Post

Just got my Dell S2716DG 1440P, 144hz, Gsync monitor. Cannot select 144hz in windows. Reading around it sounds like it requires a higher pixel clock speed than my GTX 670 provides. Any ideas on what monitors would support this? I cannot find pixel clock listed for the GPUs anywhere. Below is the list I believe to work...

-GTX 680
-GTX 770???
-GTX 780
-GTX 780Ti
-GTX 970
-GTX 980
-GTX 980Ti
680=770, nope, no chance at 1440p
780/Ti worthless nowadays to buy
970 OKish
980 OK
980Ti will pull 1440p

Wait for Pascal and Polaris IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
It's very possible that the DP cable is the issue. On my PG278Q the first DP cable wouldn't even show a picture on the monitor.

I then borrowed a DP cable from a 4K ASUS monitor and it would only allow for 85Hz, but was able to go up to 100Hz by creating a custom resolution.

Only when I got a certified DP 1.2 cable I was able to select 144Hz and had no issues since.

This was on my 980 Ti and I tried all 3 DP connectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

680=770, nope, no chance at 1440p
780/Ti worthless nowadays to buy
970 OKish
980 OK
980Ti will pull 1440p

Wait for Pascal and Polaris IMHO.
Yeah I will at least wait until the announcement Friday. Today is one of the worst days possible to buy a GPU. As stated before, performance isn't really an issue for me even with my 670. I play multiplayer games exclusively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSidalv21 View Post

It's very possible that the DP cable is the issue. On my PG278Q the first DP cable wouldn't even show a picture on the monitor.

I then borrowed a DP cable from a 4K ASUS monitor and it would only allow for 85Hz, but was able to go up to 100Hz by creating a custom resolution.

Only when I got a certified DP 1.2 cable I was able to select 144Hz and had no issues since.

This was on my 980 Ti and I tried all 3 DP connectors.
Good to hear, I may order a DP cable because it might be a little while until I get a new GPU anyways, especially since I'm waiting for Pascal to see how that pans out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepheroth003 View Post

Just got my Dell S2716DG 1440P, 144hz, Gsync monitor. Cannot select 144hz in windows. Reading around it sounds like it requires a higher pixel clock speed than my GTX 670 provides. Any ideas on what monitors would support this? I cannot find pixel clock listed for the GPUs anywhere. Below is the list I believe to work...
If its a Gsync monitor, then go into the Nvidia control panel. That's where you will configure the Gsync options. Source: I own a Gsync monitor.

I also am running a GTX 780 OC card at 1440p 144hz with virtually no hindrance on most games at max settings. Only recently have I had to start lowering some of the more hefty settings like shadows and AA a tiny bit to ensure I continue to get peak performance with great quality visuals. I am also using the original DP cable that came with my monitor and it works fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimlock View Post

If its a Gsync monitor, then go into the Nvidia control panel. That's where you will configure the Gsync options. Source: I own a Gsync monitor.

I also am running a GTX 780 OC card at 1440p 144hz with virtually no hindrance on most games at max settings. Only recently have I had to start lowering some of the more hefty settings like shadows and AA a tiny bit to ensure I continue to get peak performance with great quality visuals. I am also using the original DP cable that came with my monitor and it works fine.
Ya I've been testing with gsync off and on, I really like it. Prefer it on in every game except CSGO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
i bet the answer is....

a 1070 or a 1080 - they run with Displayport 1.4, and supports more than you need in terms of resolution and hz

i dont even know why you'd pick anything else, unless we see some price drops, or if you want something second hand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post

i bet the answer is....

a 1070 or a 1080 - they run with Displayport 1.4, and supports more than you need in terms of resolution and hz

i dont even know why you'd pick anything else, unless we see some price drops, or if you want something second hand
The monitor only has DP 1.2 it seems.

I assume I'll want a 1070 but there are like no details other than price right now. Id rather not spend $400 on a GPU again (my 4gb 670 was $440), but it's looking like that might be where I need to be.

I was getting 90-100fps in the Overwatch beta with Gsync on, used the preset Ultra setting (not Epic).
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top