Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've got ROUGHLY $150ish USD to use for my file server. I need to buy a PCI SATA Controller / RAID Card / whatever to use with the new hard drives. I have one picked out for $24.99 with free shipping on newegg.

So for roughly $125....what's the best I can do hard drive wise? Not performance, as performance makes NO difference at all. I just need raw size. The drive will be accessed via 100Mb LAN, so it does NOT have to be fast at all. Oh, and its also being hosted on a dual 1.13GHz Pentium 3 Machine....so again, speed on the hard drive does NOT matter.

I just need the absolute BIGGEST I can do...RAID or no RAID.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Here's a 1T from seagate for $119 + it looks like free shipping to your state

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148274

I have 3 Seagates here with two 500Gs and when the price comes down a bit then I'll be getting one of them 1TB drives. Right now the price is $135 at one store...mmm that is not too much for me to spend per month...errr. Well first I need a better video card so I'll pass for a few months.

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you need to buy a RAID controller instead of doing it using software?

And are you prepared to lose your data in case something happens? If you're going as big as possible and go with G-Byte's advice to get the 1TB drive, you've got no redundancy at all. Getting 2 500GB drives and putting them into RAID 1 will give you a lot more safety. If the main drive dies, you'll have the second one to go off on.

But hey, if you don't think data loss will be an issue for you, get the 1TB drive.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I knew Iforgot something. Your mobo has two ide and four sata ports; why are you getting a raid card? I'm sure that you can use raid with two of your sata ports but you'll have to do some reading about your board's capabilities and I got too much reading to do myself.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Byte
View Post

I knew Iforgot something. Your mobo has two ide and four sata ports; why are you getting a raid card? I'm sure that you can use raid with two of your sata ports but you'll have to do some reading about your board's capabilities and I got too much reading to do myself.

The motherboard in question has NO SATA ports. It only has IDE...its a dual Pentium 3 board.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts