Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I build my new PC few days ago. It's based on the AMD Ryzen 5900x, Asus Dark Hero + 32GB G.skill 3600Cl16. The goal was to configure it to be as silent as possible.I want to try AIO (I have used Noctua DH-15 with Intel processor so far), so i decided to go with Fractal Design AIO - model Celcius S36+.
Unfortunatelly from the beggining I have a problem with the processor temperatures. The AIO it's actually super quiet, but even when I set the PWM fans to "turbo", the idle processor is about 45-50c.

I attached photo of my rig, because maybe i mount something wrong (this is my first AIO). I desperately need your help and advice.

At full load (e.g. C23 or C20), the temperature easily exceeds 85-86c. In games it will hit to 75-85c. The AIO work in "PWM" mode, because in auto mode the temperatures is even higer on idle. I installed this AIO three times to make sure that the problem is not in the contact between AIO and processor. Currently, the thermal paste is Thermal Kryonaut. At the very beginning, I use the original AIO (applied) paste, then I changed it to the Arctic Silver MX5. With each paste, the temperatures are very similar.

Thank you!

Red arrows indicate the airflow direction

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
Hi,
I build my new PC few days ago. It's based on the AMD Ryzen 5900x, Asus Dark Hero + 32GB G.skill 3600Cl16. The goal was to configure it to be as silent as possible.I want to try AIO (I have used Noctua DH-15 with Intel processor so far), so i decided to go with Fractal Design AIO - model Celcius S36+.
Unfortunatelly from the beggining I have a problem with the processor temperatures. The AIO it's actually super quiet, but even when I set the PWM fans to "turbo", the idle processor is about 45-50c.

I attached photo of my rig, because maybe i mount something wrong (this is my first AIO). I desperately need your help and advice.

At full load (e.g. C23 or C20), the temperature easily exceeds 85-86c. In games it will hit to 75-85c. The AIO work in "PWM" mode, because in auto mode the temperatures is even higer on idle. I installed this AIO three times to make sure that the problem is not in the contact between AIO and processor. Currently, the thermal paste is Thermal Kryonaut. At the very beginning, I use the original AIO (applied) paste, then I changed it to the Arctic Silver MX5. With each paste, the temperatures are very similar.

Thank you!

Red arrows indicate the airflow direction

View attachment 2514142
Unfortunately the 5900x is a furnace, even with an AIO, those full load temps don't seem crazy to me. Idling at 50c is a bit high and assuming you applied the TIM correctly could be a mounting pressure issue. When you re-applied the TIM, did you re-seat the CPU?

What is your ambient temperature? You have 4 exhaust fans and 3 intakes (One of which is blocked by the HDD), which will make a slightly negative pressure environment in your case, this doesn't help your cause. Are there any filters on your intakes? Try it with the front panel removed and see what the temps are then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your fast response! :)

Unfortunately the 5900x is a furnace, even with an AIO, those full load temps don't seem crazy to me. Idling at 50c is a bit high and assuming you applied the TIM correctly could be a mounting pressure issue. When you re-applied the TIM, did you re-seat the CPU?
I think the TIM was applied correctly (I have quite bit an experience) and no - the the processor was not re-seated. It was not the first time that I installed the processor, so I think this one is well seated, but thank you for this suggestion. Next time i'll do that.

What is your ambient temperature? You have 4 exhaust fans and 3 intakes (One of which is blocked by the HDD), which will make a slightly negative pressure environment in your case, this doesn't help your cause. Are there any filters on your intakes? Try it with the front panel removed and see what the temps are then.
ambient temp aprox 22-23c. You're right - have only 3 intakes, but do you think it can cause such high temperatures? There are no filters on intakes. I will remove front panel as you suggest. (y)

Is there any other way to improve temps?

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
Ok. done... but, unfortunatelly there is no effect - the temp are on the same level... ~50c in idle :(
with panel and without. no difference...
You mentioned controlling the fan speed, but what about the pump speed? I had a Corsair AIO back in the day and it had a few speed settings and the default was Silent I think and the temps were a lot worse on silent than turbo. If you are able to manually set pump speed, max it and max fan speed just to test and see if your temps are capable of being lower.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mentioned controlling the fan speed, but what about the pump speed? I had a Corsair AIO back in the day and it had a few speed settings and the default was Silent I think and the temps were a lot worse on silent than turbo. If you are able to manually set pump speed, max it and max fan speed just to test and see if your temps are capable of being lower.
I'm sure that in this AIO - Fractal Design Celcius S36+ the pump is "corellated" with fans, so I don't think I can manually control only the pump :( I can control the whole "system", and in bios i tried every profile - from silent, turbo and manual curve. You have a good idea, but i already checked that :(
I'm starting to convince myself to back to Nocuta ...but I still don't believe that air cooling can be more efficient than AIO.. read a lot of positive reviews about this Fractal Design :(

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
I'm sure that in this AIO - Fractal Design Celcius S36+ the pump is "corellated" with fans, so I don't think I can manually control only the pump :( I can control the whole "system", and in bios i tried every profile - from silent, turbo and manual curve. You have a good idea, but i already checked that :(
I'm starting to convince myself to back to Nocuta ...but I still don't believe that air cooling can be more efficient than AIO.. read a lot of positive reviews about this Fractal Design :(
I believe you and I don't have a way to browse the software. Is there a way to activate "Thermal Protection Mode"? The product page lists the pump as PWM in addition to the fans that would imply they can be controlled autonomous from each other, but I have no clue. Does the software interface give you the RPM's of the pump?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe you and I don't have a way to browse the software. Is there a way to activate "Thermal Protection Mode"? The product page lists the pump as PWM in addition to the fans that would imply they can be controlled autonomous from each other, but I have no clue. Does the software interface give you the RPM's of the pump?

View attachment 2514145
View attachment 2514147
First of all, I really appreciate your help! Thank you! :)🤝. unfortunately no software is included with this AIO. I can change settings only in BIOS with Qfan.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,223 Posts
First of all, I really appreciate your help! Thank you! :)🤝. unfortunately no software is included with this AIO. I can change settings only in BIOS with Qfan.
Open Hardware Monitor is a free program you can download and with that you can control your fans
You cant make a curve but under load you can set the fans manually to whatever speed you want and when you are done you can turn them back down to whatever speed you want

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
There is a literally switch on the AIO itself to take it out of auto mode and put it in PWM mode it seems. Try switching to PWM mode and you should be able to control signal strength via 4 pin headers on your mobo in BIOS. I would suggest running the pump 100% and maybe doing whatever curve you are comfortable with for the fans.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a literally switch on the AIO itself to take it out of auto mode and put it in PWM mode it seems. Try switching to PWM mode and you should be able to control signal strength via 4 pin headers on your mobo in BIOS. I would suggest running the pump 100% and maybe doing whatever curve you are comfortable with for the fans.
Yeah. that's what i did - turn on the PWM mode (not auto), but (un)fortunately this AIO has a built in hub (for fans) and there is only one 4-pin connection to the MOBO, so i connect header into CPU_FAN and in fact i can control, but as i mentioned - the whole "system" - all three fans & pump at the same time. I don't know how can i could control only the pump :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Open Hardware Monitor is a free program you can download and with that you can control your fans
You cant make a curve but under load you can set the fans manually to whatever speed you want and when you are done you can turn them back down to whatever speed you want
thnx i will do that.

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
Yeah. that's what i did - turn on the PWM mode (not auto), but (un)fortunately this AIO has a built in hub (for fans) and there is only one 4-pin connection to the MOBO, so i connect header into CPU_FAN and in fact i can control, but as i mentioned - the whole "system" - all three fans & pump at the same time. I don't know how can i could control only the pump :(
Dang, that sucks. Whelp, i'm fresh out of ideas.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Will your case fit the radiator on the front? If so then try moving the rad to the front with tubes down and use the fans as intake air. I'm not crazy about the rad up top with the fans as exhaust. If you you can't mount the rad in the front then try changing the fans to intake to see if that makes a difference.

One more thing. Did you apply Kryonaut using the included rubber tip to spread and cover the entire IHS? I previously used Kryonaut and would apply with just an "X" or "dot" method only to find that I had pretty poor coverage when I removed the cooler. It's great paste but the consistency is more like clay. I switched to NT-H1 with just the recommended dot method and temps have dropped about 2 degrees vs. my poorly applied Kryonaut.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Let's see.

Looking at the manual here: https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Celsius-Manual.pdf

The RGB and PWM fan control is managed by a small fan hub, that receive its signals from the main block.

If you want to get separate control of the pump and the fans, one should:
-disconnect the 4 pin lead that comes from the main unit and plug onto the fan hub.
-route the cpu_fan connector of the motherboard, with a lead extension (2 female 4 pins), to the 4 pin of the fan hub on the rad.
-connect the 4 pin of the pump to a fan_opt connector on the motherboard.
-get into the bios, put the opt_fan at 100% and create a PWM profile curve t°/rmp for the 3 fans.

The cpu_fan connector should be able to handle 3A, so 3 fans is pretty much the limit for a single fan connector, on nowadays motherboards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will your case fit the radiator on the front? If so then try moving the rad to the front with tubes down and use the fans as intake air. I'm not crazy about the rad up top with the fans as exhaust. If you you can't mount the rad in the front then try changing the fans to intake to see if that makes a difference.
I could mount it in front but for me it will be the last resort..
Funny thing is that Ryzen Master show the 43-47c and in the same time HWInfo show 52-58c 😳 on idle

One more thing. Did you apply Kryonaut using the included rubber tip to spread and cover the entire IHS? I previously used Kryonaut and would apply with just an "X" or "dot" method only to find that I had pretty poor coverage when I removed the cooler. It's great paste but the consistency is more like clay. I switched to NT-H1 with just the recommended dot method and temps have dropped about 2 degrees vs. my poorly applied Kryonaut.
Yeah, i applied it corretly - have the same experiences with kryo and I've already learned how to apply this paste correctly, but thanks for advice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let's see.

Looking at the manual here: https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Celsius-Manual.pdf

The RGB and PWM fan control is managed by a small fan hub, that receive its signals from the main block.

If you want to get separate control of the pump and the fans, one should:
-disconnect the 4 pin lead that comes from the main unit and plug onto the fan hub.
-route the cpu_fan connector of the motherboard, with a lead extension (2 female 4 pins), to the 4 pin of the fan hub on the rad.
-connect the 4 pin of the pump to a fan_opt connector on the motherboard.
-get into the bios, put the opt_fan at 100% and create a PWM profile curve t°/rmp for the 3 fans.

The cpu_fan connector should be able to handle 3A, so 3 fans is pretty much the limit for a single fan connector, on nowadays motherboards.
Wow! I definitely have to try. Thank you very much for the hint! (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more thing - just informative. On the asus forum the community advised me to upgrade my BIOS to 3601 beta (my mobo is Dark Hero), and I must admit that on this bios version the processor behaves much more "stable". The temps ara still high, but much less "spikes". I definitely have to try what 1devomer advised me (re-route fans and pump).

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,782 Posts
While you sort out the fan header situation above, I'd consider revising your air flow strategy. Your rear case fan is clashing with one (1) of your radiator fans.

Additionally, the radiator fans are pulling internal case air, which is impacted by your blower GPU.
Blower GPUs mix heat in the case and the load from your GPU will pass through your radiator.

Revise fans to intakes or change case fan orientation. The manual describes this fairly well. I'd opt for the config on the right. This will insure only cool air is passing through the radiator to eliminate its an airflow constraint.

If heat remains an issue, its likely due to the mount (poor contact) or fans / pump not ramping up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts