Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reinstalled windows 7 on a new SSD I just bought. I had to get a torrent for windows 7 ultimate x64 (the same version I had before) because I lost my physical install CD.

However, the torrent already installed everything without asking for a serial number.

I am a legit owner of windows 7 and I want to activate my own key. However, there is no where to put it on system screen.

Can anyone help me with how I can register my real serial key?

Thank you

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
I could have sworn Microsoft offered ISO images, but not product keys, online under certain circumstances.

Anyway I would suggest just finding a different install media so you're not dealing with dodgy installers.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post

Is your serial for W7 Ultimate? If not, you may want to scrap your current install and find a different DVD. I could have sworn Microsoft offered ISO images, but not product keys, online under certain circumstances.
Yes it is the exact same version I previously had installed. It is for Win7 x64 Ultimate.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Most torrented Windows 7 today will have a something known as RemoveWAT in built which gets rids of activation features and Genuine activation checks. This is most likely why you see nothing about activation of windows on your system.

If you want and if i'm allowed to, i can link you the uninstaller.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
You can use this to reset/rearm the trial use.
Quote:
cmd prompt
slmgr /rearm
reboot

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Just download an image from digital river, that way you know you're getting a good copy and not an altered one, last I remember those links were allowed here;
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
Awesome! I am going to use this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER_K View Post

You can use this to reset/rearm the trial use.
It doesn't even recognize the command.
frown.gif

Thanks all. MDL looks like a winner.

+rep to most in this thread

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Because it has a space in it. It is not together as it is slmgr(space)/rearm. Once you hit enter about 2 seconds later you will see this popup. Thanks

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_xpert View Post

I just reinstalled windows 7 on a new SSD I just bought. I had to get a torrent for windows 7 ultimate x64 (the same version I had before) because I lost my physical install CD.
However, the torrent already installed everything without asking for a serial number.
I am a legit owner of windows 7 and I want to activate my own key. However, there is no where to put it on system screen.
Can anyone help me with how I can register my real serial key?
Thank you
You most probably downloaded a preactivated version of Windows 7. In other words a pirated version.

You should have downloaded from the following links: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

1 - 14 of 14 Posts