Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I am exploring the idea of an external water cooler and I seen this VIDEO and I wanna mimic the setup. I never done this before, I always stuck with AIO's but I just wanna make sure I have everything if not more. Any advice is appreciated, money isnt an issue, I just wanna do it once and right. I know the MO-RA d5 says 420 but I think it will work and are the aquacomputer d5 pumps any good or should I try different ones?

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Software

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Your MORA selected is the 360 model, it won't be compatible with the dual pump. You'll only be able to connect a single D5 to it with the res combo. If you want dual D5 then you need the MORA 420.

• Rep+
Reactions: AVATARAT

·
Just hangin' out
1,583 Posts
Does the 420 not use 140mm fans, rather than 120mm?

• Rep+
Reactions: AVATARAT

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yup, swap your fans out to 140 or 4x 200mm noctua fans and you're set. The fittings and tubing is user preference. I would have gone with watercool epdm or tygon a-60-g myself. I personally would steer clear of ek zmt as the tolerance can be finicky with fittings getting a tight fit. As well it would need a rinse and potentially clean out the inner tubing with a bottle brush depending on how dirty the sample is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Something to look out for during setup..

The thing I was most surprise by after setting up a chiller was how much the coolant level drops after running for only a few days. If I crack open a res the level comes back up, so no actual fluid loss. This may not be a problem for you though depending on how much tubing you actually use.

I THINK this is caused by the dual D5's and the amount of soft tubing (~7m) just getting stretched and displacing some area from the reservoir from all the pressure?

Filling was a little weird because of this. It seems like dual D5's running at 100% can actually push more fluid into the system (probably just the soft tubing) than it can handle when the pumps are off, causing fluid to rush back and overflow when turned off and the res open.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, so correct me if im wrong im a mechanic by trade, would it essentially be the same as checking cars fluid level hot vs cold. Cold obviously being low and hot appearing more full?

·
Registered
43 Posts
That was my other consideration, I'm thinking it's probably both though, since if I open the res while it's running it will suck fluid down even if the loop is already full and if I try filling it like that it just starts leaking out of the adapter fittings on the chiller. These fittings are much less tight than the actual EK fittings used everywhere else. Which leads me to believe it also has something to do with how powerful the pumps are too.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Your MORA selected is the 360 model, it won't be compatible with the dual pump. You'll only be able to connect a single D5 to it with the res combo. If you want dual D5 then you need the MORA 420.
You mean dual loop? Dual pump is compatible with everything.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No, he selected the dual d5 pump attachment. It only fits on the Mora 420. The Mora 360 does not fit the oem dual pump attachment.

• Rep+
Reactions: StAndrew
1 - 11 of 11 Posts