Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am new to this hobby and am building my first system but before i purchase it i need some approval so i dont have kick my self in the rear end later down the road. now i WAS trying to only spend $900 but i am already @ $1000 and sumthin, but i think the system is coming out nicely here it is let me know if i should change anything or substitute it.

mobo- LanpartUT nf4 sli-dr socket939($180)
cpu- amd ath64 3700+($222)
memory- OCZ Gold Gamer eXtreme Ed. 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 433 (PC 3500)($176.99)
case- Thermaltake SViking mid-tower($75.99)
hdd- max diam max 300gig 7200rpm sata150 ($128)
vid- connect3D 3038 Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card($175)
vga cooler- ZALMAN VF700-CU($29)
dvdrom- samsung 16x ($20)
dvdrw- pioneer 110-dbk($40)

that is what i got so far and i am already over my budget and i dont even have the psu yet. now with all the reviews i have read on the products, the case has adequate cooling w/ the 2x120mm fans and includes the controler so i dont think i need n e more fans or anything like that. i got the vga cooler because of the reviews of the vid card and am planning to open up all 16 pipelines. now for the price combination (~$200) should i maybe invest in sumthing better? if so, what? also what good psu you guys recommend remember my budget!!??

**also to cut down cost i was thinking of going with a 3500+, (venice or clawhammer) should i?

~~~>I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP GUYS THANKS!!!<~~

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
That looks a really good system. For a psu, the Sunbeam Nuuo 550W is an excellent performer and is very reasonably priced.
If you are going to drop down a CPU, then I'd suggest going for the 3000+ or 3200+ Venice. You might lose ~100-200Mhz on the overclock, compared with the 3700+, and 512kb of L2 cache, but this would have minimal effect on games.

Just a note that the majority of X800GTOs don't unlock past 12p. If you want a guaranteed unlocker then you should go with the Sapphire GTO2 (guaranteed to flash to an X850XT), but it's a bit more $

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i was baisically going by this shopping list on another website but i was thinking about raid but thought it would be a little more expensive. i started out wanting to spend $600 and i am up to $1000 and going, but i really ant this system to last me a while, not like my generic computers(hps) that get outdated after a year. now with the 2 drives do you suggest any brand in particular? and i think i am going to stick w/ the 3700+..right?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya go wit a raid system. u will never use 300 gb, and ur better safe then sorry, and another not i forget where but i think i saw that the pioneer dvdrw's have some hardware problems, but other than that looks like a great system! and building it will be fun... good luck

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by djflinautikz

well i was baisically going by this shopping list on another website but i was thinking about raid but thought it would be a little more expensive. i started out wanting to spend $600 and i am up to $1000 and going, but i really ant this system to last me a while, not like my generic computers(hps) that get outdated after a year. now with the 2 drives do you suggest any brand in particular? and i think i am going to stick w/ the 3700+..right?

Yep, the 3700+ is a great CPU, either that or an Opteron 146 939. Whichever you can find the cheapest really and results are likely to be similar. I use Seagate Barracuda drives and they have been great. That would be my recommendation

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ive always used western digital drives. The egg has mine on sale for 105ish plus shipping for a 250 gig. I havent had any problems with mine. You could drop down the cpu to a 3000, save some money and overclock to about a 2.6 with that DFI board. Its up to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts