Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! Just a little help. I need a new motherboard for my 8700k. I´m still deciding between:

Asus ROG Z370-F

or

MSI Gaming M5

I know they are pretty similar VRM wise. I don´t plan to overclock more than 4,8ghz/4,9ghz anyway. That´s plenty to me.

My main concern is about RGB.. yeah you heard it. Well I know that you can turn OFF RGB Lights on Asus boards on the BIOS without installing any additional software on the OS (or should I say bloatware). I am not so sure about MSI motherboard tho! Because I never had one with RGB. So can someone tell me if you can turn all RGB completly OFF on the MSI Bios? Or do I need the crappy gaming app?

If you ask me, I would prefer the MSI board overall, I like the Killer E2500 NIC (had it on a laptop and it really performed well on online games - lower ping than Intel NIC, around 3ms-4ms). But I can´t stand RGB and my Phanteks P300 has a tempered glass wich will ofc show all those shiny lights left and right.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You are aware of the VRM's on both boards, so I will pass on saying anything bout that.

The MSI (I had an Z170 Pro Carbon for about 2 days) and it needed to have software running at all times to get the lights to work. I didnt like that. They mave have changed it since Nov 2016... I had to have the MSI software open and always running in background to keep the effects that I set. That was annoying...I passed and turned it in for an Asus Z170 VIII Hero. Yes, the software can be set to do whatever, but you can close it and the board doesnt default to somet random color. it keeps the effects you set in Aura. Even after reboots! With no Aura running in your tray!

you can tweak an intel NIC via proset to get super low pings...dont pay for smoke and mirrors behind a brand.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks stephenn82! appreciated! Yeah I am 100% sure Asus works that way, in my case I just want to turn all lights OFF and in the bios Advanced -> OnBoard Config -> RGB I can set everything oFF and call it a day, but on MSI GPUs you can´t even turn lights OFF without gaming app installed and I hate it. Altho I really prefer the Gaming M5 over the Z370-F, and this RGB thing is my only deciding factor now. I can´t find any answer on the web about Z370 MSI boards, that´s why I asked, but I guess you really can´t turn lights OFF on the bios.. annoying to say the least. I hate RGB and the fact a branc will lose certain customers (like me) because of RGB is just silly... so yeah for now I´m thinking about getting the Asus and call it a day...

They are even the exact same price in my country

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
There ya go! I wish boards didnt have RGB as well. It is a novelty, not necessary...but all vendors put it all over every single board they sell that is worth anything. (8 phase VRM and up)

Being a long-time Asus owner, I couldnt get used to the BIOS with MSI at all...I found it fumbling in my case...and settings were named odd things. Hopefully you find the Asus BIOS pretty simple and easy to use...if you get that board.

Der8auer has many vids describing all settings in detail on the Asus bios' in both German and English...if you fancy lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts