Overclock.net banner

Need help before completing my build..

326 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  JustMarioBros
Ok so so basically I need like a check list of software I will have to get for when my rig is done. Some of my questions here are definitely about benchmark programs but I also have some questions about backing up data.

Let me start off with:

What programs should I get for benchmarking and OCing?
So far I have gotten CoreTemp, CPU-Z, HDTune, RivaTuner and 3DMark06 & Vantage (didn't know if I needed just one of them or not).

What are the best programs/apps to monitor temps and CPU usage?
Something useful on my desktop or during gaming? It'll be for Vista 64.

Now I have some questions about HDs and backup:

While using Raid0, if one drive fails, the other drive is still usable correct?
I'm aware that in raid0, if a drive fails you lose all your data. Which brings me to my next question.

Is there a way to backup OS/OS settings to a CD or could I just use my WD external HD to backup OS and programs? If so, what format does the external have to be in?

Currently my ext drive is in FAT32. Do I need it in NTFS? How do I change it?

Is there a certain program that I could use to make it easier to backup important info/files, or do I just burn everything to a CD?

Will I be able to backup games from Steam onto a CD and later reinstall them or just download the game again from the site? (sorry never used Steam before)

Any help will be appreciated.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDawg
View Post

While using Raid0, if one drive fails, the other drive is still usable correct?
If 1 drive fails in a RAID0 setup then your RAID is dead. You can format the still good drive and use it as a stand alone drive but all info on the drive from the array will be gone.

I hope this helps some

So basically just replace the dead drive, and then I can go ahead an redo the raid0 setup?

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have noticed all these warnings for most of these programs. Is there a certain amount of time I should wait between using these stress test programs? I don't want to end up cooking my CPU/MoBo.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDawg View Post
What warnings are you seeing and from what programs?
Well, before downloading the programs it always has a warning you have to agree with before downloading. I have seen them in several sites I went to download most of these programs. Mainly the stress test programs (like Prime95, Intel Burn Test, etc..).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.