Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys and gals,

First time posting but been a long time reader of the forums (although I just recently started an account)

I am hoping you guys can help me out with my mostly gaming PC build. I do some Photoshop work, I'm an amateur at best, but am learning it rather quickly. I also plan to learn some Java, C, C++, etc coding within the next few months before college starts up again.

I haven't built a PC in about two years and my last build was a $600 budget build(big mistake) and this time I plan to go all out. My Asus G53 gaming laptop has done me well but time for a new desktop.

I have done a lot of reading and so far this is what I have come up with:

Windows 7 Ultimate - Already have

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504 --- I have already purchased this from my local Micro Center for $200

HDD - I have a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive from my previous build that I will be using.

Ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233190 --- I purchased this ram about six months ago on sale for $35. This might be a bottleneck later, but Ill hold onto it for now.

Power Supply - I have an Antec 750w power supply from my old build that I would like to use. I might upgrade later for an SLI config.

Motherboard - Asus Maximus V Formula --- I have been waiting for this board since last month and it seems like it might be released sometime in early June according to this post.
Here is my question though. I do plan to OC my CPU to (hopefully) as close to 5ghz as possible, so should I wait for Maximus V board or should I go with the Sabertooth? If the Maximus V goes upwards of $300 I might lean more towards the Sabertooth. I read a lot of great things about the Maximus IV boards, any input would be nice.

GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423 or http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/ or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787 -- Atm I am leaning toward the Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II when it is released but I do need some input on this. I have been debating on whether I should get the Asus when it hits or if I should wait for an EVGA 4G card. I have read a lot about vram issues but it isn't conclusive at all. Half the people say you don't need more than 2GB of vram and the other half says you do need more. I game on a 24" 1080p monitor and would like the highest settings possible in games such as BF3, Arma II DayZ mod, Skyrim (with a lot of high texture packs, not just the official HD pack from Bethesda), Batman Arkham City, and so forth. What do you guys think I should do?

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225 --- This seems to be the top contender for me. I plan to try some water cooling on this build and have read that this case can support a 360 rad up top in either push or pull config and a 240 rad at the bottom with some modding. Can anyone else suggest maybe a better case, if there is one?

WC kit - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14183/ex-wat-182/XSPC_Rasa_750_RX360_Universal_CPU_Triple_Radiator_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_RX360_Radiator_and_Free_Kill_Coil.html?tl=g30c321s1310 or http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12222/ex-wat-162/XSPC_Rasa_750_RS360_Universal_CPU_Triple_Radiator_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_Free_Kill_Coil.html?tl=g30c321s1310
This will be my first plunge into water cooling and have done some major reading on it, but I really can't tell what the major difference between these kits are? Is the RX worth the extra $40?

CPU $200 + Maximus V (assuming a $350 price) + GPU (assuming a $450 for the 4GB) + case $200 + WC Kit (assuming RX $189) = $1389

or

CPU $200 + Sabertooth $239 + GPU (assuming $450 for 4GB) + case $200 + WC Kit (assuming RX $189) = $1278

I would like to save as much money as possible but without going to cheapy on it. I can of course go with the lower priced GPU and WC kit, but I would like as much input as possible.
 

·
Tech Enthusiast
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
the 4GB card is closer to $480.... and 750w PSU is plenty for SLI

Nice looking setup all in all. Might as well get some new ram, faster and it's dirt cheap.

Not a huge fan of the HAF X, but not bad...certainly a lot of room.

SSD would make this rig shine....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
No need for Full Tower if you only plan to SLI. Mid Towers like the 500R are just as good space-wise and cooling-wise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,370 Posts
The only thing I would add to this setup is a Crucial M4 of either 128GB or 256GB, if you can pay the latter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
The NZXT Switch 810 has support for a 360 rad in push/pull on the top (420 with a little mod), and also a 240 on the bottom out of the box. Better cable management than the HAF X, and looks better imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 ($149.99 @ Frozen CPU)
The only difference between the RS and RX is the thickness of the radiators. The bit extra performance doesn't seem worth $40 extra to me.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 WS ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
If you want to get a insane mobo go for this one you'll be able to have great OCs and even quad SLI.
or
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($147.86 @ Newegg)
if you want to get a regular mobo with great OCs and sli in the future.

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
increase data speeds and boot times.

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
I wouldn't wait for the ASUS one. This will get equal or better cooling. You don't need 4gb of vram unless you have a high resolution display or surround.

Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Insane WC case and has amazing airflow.

Total: $979.96 or $797.83
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome suggestions guys, thanks.

I will be adding an SSD. Saw the one UltraHoboLord posted and then checked newegg for a 128gb and saw these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448
There seems to be a $21 difference between the two, anyone know why?

Regarding the P8z77 mobo you posted Hobo... Is that better than the Maximus and Sabertooth lines? I really like that Maximus for the WC capabilities and it looks damn sexy.

I have been hearing great things about the Gigabyte GTX 670 so Ill go ahead and start spamming F5 for it. Just a quick question regarding these cards. I have read that aftermarket coolers tend to get hot in SLI compared to reference cards, is there any truth in that or will it be fine with those coolers?

Also regarding the NZXT, I did some research and really like the case. The only thing with that case is that it doesn't have the side fan, will this be a problem at all for SLI GPU's or will there be sufficient cooling with two front 140mm as intake and the radiator fans as exhaust?

Ill also be waiting for the RS360 to go back in stock... Thanks a ton guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Not having a side fan shouldn't be a problem, there's loads of people that run their setups in an 810 on air. Check out the official Switch 810 thread to check out how others have theirs set up.

Also keep in mind that you have the option to mount 120/140mm fans on the mobo side of the HDD cages, and position them towards your video cards
thumb.gif


tl;dr you'll be fine
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlUmPaSsChIcKeN View Post

Awesome suggestions guys, thanks.

I will be adding an SSD. Saw the one UltraHoboLord posted and then checked newegg for a 128gb and saw these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448
There seems to be a $21 difference between the two, anyone know why?

Regarding the P8z77 mobo you posted Hobo... Is that better than the Maximus and Sabertooth lines? I really like that Maximus for the WC capabilities and it looks damn sexy.

I have been hearing great things about the Gigabyte GTX 670 so Ill go ahead and start spamming F5 for it. Just a quick question regarding these cards. I have read that aftermarket coolers tend to get hot in SLI compared to reference cards, is there any truth in that or will it be fine with those coolers?

Also regarding the NZXT, I did some research and really like the case. The only thing with that case is that it doesn't have the side fan, will this be a problem at all for SLI GPU's or will there be sufficient cooling with two front 140mm as intake and the radiator fans as exhaust?

Ill also be waiting for the RS360 to go back in stock... Thanks a ton guys.
The transfer kit
126
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the one that costs $21 less has a transfer kit? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Ive decided to go with he NZXT Switch 810 White/Black and I'm going to get whichever GTX 670 becomes available first, between the ASUS and Gigabyte.

I have also decided to upgrade my memory. Which of these kits is better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144
Also, I would like to upgrade to 16gb, should I get 2 x 8gb or 4 x 4gb?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlUmPaSsChIcKeN View Post

So the one that costs $21 less has a transfer kit? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Ive decided to go with he NZXT Switch 810 White/Black and I'm going to get whichever GTX 670 becomes available first, between the ASUS and Gigabyte.

I have also decided to upgrade my memory. Which of these kits is better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144
Also, I would like to upgrade to 16gb, should I get 2 x 8gb or 4 x 4gb?
No the one that cost more has a transfer kit... the sniper ram has faster speeds
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys, I'm back.

I have been debating on whether I want HT on my CPU and have been eyeing the i7 processors, but didn't feel like paying 40% more for about 20% more performance (from what I have read).

So, I've been doing some reading and have been looking at the 2011 socket CPU's, mainly the i7 3820.

As I stated in my earlier posts, I do use some photoshop and as I get better, I will probably use it more. I also plan to upload some more youtube video's, as I haven't done that in a while and I will be going back to school for a computer engineering major.

I have the i5 3570K already, but I am thinking of selling it and instead purchasing the i7 3820 from http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0383144. It would only be about $40-$45 more (with tax) unless I can sell my i5 for roughly the same price.

So if I sell my i5 for $230, I would pretty much cut even. I would also be getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131808 since I am already waiting for the Asus Maximus V Formula, and from speculations, that board will also be between the $300-$350 range.

All-in-all I would be getting an x79 build for about the same price as an i5 build.

i7 3820 $229 + Asus Rampage IV $359 + NZXT case $169 + Crucial M4 SSD 128gb $124 + Asus GTX 670 TOP $429 (already purchased, should be here Monday or Tuesday) = $1310

vs

i5 3570K $200 + Asus Maximus V $350 (speculation, could me or less) + NZXT case $169 + Crucial M4 SSD 128gb $124 + Asus GTX 670 TOP $429 (already purchased, should be here Monday or Tuesday) = $1272

vs

i7 3770k $289 + Asus Maximus V $350 (speculation, could me or less) + NZXT case $169 + Crucial M4 SSD 128gb $124 + Asus GTX 670 TOP $429 (already purchased, should be here Monday or Tuesday) = $1361

Like I said, I should be able to sell my i5 for about the same price as the i7 3820. I will also be looking into water cooling, but I will hold off on that for a month or so until I decide what to do regarding that.

Too many decisions... Any advice would be much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlUmPaSsChIcKeN View Post

Well guys, I'm back.

I have been debating on whether I want HT on my CPU and have been eyeing the i7 processors, but didn't feel like paying 40% more for about 20% more performance (from what I have read).

So, I've been doing some reading and have been looking at the 2011 socket CPU's, mainly the i7 3820.

As I stated in my earlier posts, I do use some photoshop and as I get better, I will probably use it more. I also plan to upload some more youtube video's, as I haven't done that in a while and I will be going back to school for a computer engineering major.

I have the i5 3570K already, but I am thinking of selling it and instead purchasing the i7 3820 from http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0383144. It would only be about $40-$45 more (with tax) unless I can sell my i5 for roughly the same price.

So if I sell my i5 for $230, I would pretty much cut even. I would also be getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131808 since I am already waiting for the Asus Maximus V Formula, and from speculations, that board will also be between the $300-$350 range.

All-in-all I would be getting an x79 build for about the same price as an i5 build.

i7 3820 $229 + Asus Rampage IV $359 + NZXT case $169 + Crucial M4 SSD 128gb $124 + Asus GTX 670 TOP $429 (already purchased, should be here Monday or Tuesday) = $1310

vs

i5 3570K $200 + Asus Maximus V $350 (speculation, could me or less) + NZXT case $169 + Crucial M4 SSD 128gb $124 + Asus GTX 670 TOP $429 (already purchased, should be here Monday or Tuesday) = $1272

vs

i7 3770k $289 + Asus Maximus V $350 (speculation, could me or less) + NZXT case $169 + Crucial M4 SSD 128gb $124 + Asus GTX 670 TOP $429 (already purchased, should be here Monday or Tuesday) = $1361

Like I said, I should be able to sell my i5 for about the same price as the i7 3820. I will also be looking into water cooling, but I will hold off on that for a month or so until I decide what to do regarding that.

Too many decisions... Any advice would be much appreciated.
I say keep it. Its not much worse rendering it would just take a little more time which if your not doing a lot of it won't really effect you
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a ton for all the advice hobolord. I really appreciate it
biggrin.gif


I don't know what it is but the 3820 seems to be calling to me... Lol

Maybe it's the fact that it's an enthusiasts cpu with a possible hexacore upgrade in the future. Anyone else have any advice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlUmPaSsChIcKeN View Post

Thanks a ton for all the advice hobolord. I really appreciate it
biggrin.gif

I don't know what it is but the 3820 seems to be calling to me... Lol
Maybe it's the fact that it's an enthusiasts cpu with a possible hexacore upgrade in the future. Anyone else have any advice?
I would only go for the 3820 if you are planning on getting IB-E; The 3570K should do everything you need.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys, I'm back yet again with another update.

I just exchanged my i5 3570K at Micro Center today and picked up the i7 3820... Had to pay a $22 difference. Not too bad.

I am now looking at picking up the Asus Rampage IV Extreme or Formula by the end of this weekend.

Now the only things left are my SSD and a CPU cooler. I would like to go water cooling, but could use some help here.

Im looking at some of the XSPC kits and am really interested in them, but I have been hearing the pumps that come with those kits arent the greatest.

I'll probably go post in the WC section and see if I can get some advice on whether I should just buy the kit or make a custom kit with a better pump for a little more.

Thanks all for your help
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
XSPC kits are great starter kits. I would not worry much about the pumps; had mine since the first of the year running 24/7. Yes some people get bad pumps and some get loud pumps. For the most part they are a crap shoot. But after saying that if you do end up getting a bad one they are prompt at replacing it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsNC View Post

XSPC kits are great starter kits. I would not worry much about the pumps; had mine since the first of the year running 24/7. Yes some people get bad pumps and some get loud pumps. For the most part they are a crap shoot. But after saying that if you do end up getting a bad one they are prompt at replacing it.
Noticed you have the RX240.

How far are you OCing your 3820? Do you like that kit so far? Would it be better to go for the 360.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JozefH View Post

If you can work it in your budget Id get this kit instead http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC_Raystorm_RX360_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_RX360_Radiator_and_Free_Kill_Coil_Hot_item.html?tl=g30c83s137
thick 360 rad better pump and cpu block with compression fittings
smile.gif
Yeah, I have been eyeing that kit for a while.

Just the price...

I know I shouldn't go cheap on water cooling (I won't), but I will have to wait until tomorrow night when the RIVE mobo on eBay ends. If I can get it for cheap, I might go ahead and take the plunge.

The problem is I have a BNIB EVGA GTX 670 that I need to get rid of first (no one seems to be biting on craigslist, might drop the price to $375 and take a $25 loss).

Without that extra GPU I am at $1300. I have also been eyeing the H100, been wondering how that might hold up.

Again, thanks everyone for all the advice and feedback, very much appreciated
biggrin.gif
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top