Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im building a new rig and i am having trouble deciding on the cpu. this rig will be for gaming, internet, music, a little school etc...mostly gaming though. The decision is between the 965x4 and the x 6 series. i know that most games dont use more than 4 cores most of the time but they are evolving , OC goes to 4.0 plus on all and has been shown stable. so im wonderinf it the x6 is worth the money or if i should get the 965 now and wait for bulldozer project later on this year /next year and use the extra money for a little more gpu or something.

·
Bundling Bundler
1,881 Posts
If you want an easier way to OC then I would go with either a 955 or 965 until Bulldozer is released next year. The 955/965 have an unlocked multiplier so you can simply raise the multiplier and CPU voltage to OC. The 1050T has a locked multiplier so all OC'ing is done via the system bus setting which be trickier to OC and stabilize.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazi Hippo View Post
I would say wait for Bulldozer if you can.
If you must buy now, get the x6 1055t, they overclock like beast and 32nm is just sweet.
1055t is 45nm, just like the 1090t BE, the first 32nm AMD chip will most likely be Bulldozer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had heard there were alot of issues with the 965 overclocking and that the 955 was alot easier and safer. is this true? i though they were the same chip?

·
Registered
748 Posts
May I suggest the 555. I overclocks like a monster, may unlock to a 4 core and is 99 bucks. If you are waiting for bulldozer and you only do gaming, internet etc, it does the job and then some and you save some money for the 8 core upgrade. I hit 4ghz and 4 cores on mine so snoopy dance was in order, but still a 4ghz dual is nothing to sneeze at. JMO

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAZYTRUCKER View Post
May I suggest the 555. I overclocks like a monster, may unlock to a 4 core and is 99 bucks. If you are waiting for bulldozer and you only do gaming, internet etc, it does the job and then some and you save some money for the 8 core upgrade. I hit 4ghz and 4 cores on mine so snoopy dance was in order, but still a 4ghz dual is nothing to sneeze at. JMO
Then how about the 720BE? I heard it also OCs well, and can also be unlocked to a full 4core cpu. 550 isnt granted ull get it fully unlocked.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
No, definitely get at least a quad. You'll feel sorry when you can't unlock your 4th core and you've got a game optimized for more.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rigbyscamaro89 View Post
is it an am3?
Yes it is.
FYI
I have 2 555. I was able to unlock 1 of my 555 to a x3 at 3.9 on 1.4v. The other no luck unlock it and running at 4.0 on 1.55v.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that makes sense, i think the 1055 is sounding like a good choice right now, its only 20 more than the 965 on new egg its, said to overclock easy, plus when games and programs start catching up to the6 core status i will be prepared. I looked at the benchmark in this montes maximum pc and the only gameit didnt outperform the 965 in FPS was dirt 2. so its looking like a good choice right now.

thanks to everyone for the imput.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts