Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying from a local store so I've listed what they have that fits my budget.
I need something that will last my sig rig for at least another 3 years, granted I dont change any major parts.
Having extra power would also be nice if I decide to get an R7 370.

$52.8 Seasonic (600BT) ECO series, 600watts (probably crap because of the "eco" name?)
$55.4 Seasonic (S12II) 520watts 80+ Bronze
$56.9 Corsair VS650 650watts
$60.2 Corsair CX500 80+ Bronze
$63.4 Seasonic (S12II) 620watts 80+ Bronze
$66.0 Seasonic (M12II) Evo 520watts 80+ Bronze Modular
$68.3 Corsair CX600 80+ Bronze
$75.3 Seasonic (M12II) Evo 620watts 80+ Bronze Modular
$76.1 Seasonic G550 80+ Gold Modular

My OS drive gives a clicking noise when copying files so I did some troubleshooting and think my Aerocool strikeX psu is not providing enough power.
I unplugged the 2nd harddrive and all case fans, booted again and ran HDtune on my OS drive and there were no errors, drive health was 100%.
My psu is 3 years old so its probably just about time it started weakening from heavy usage.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
The Seasonic G is the best one on that list.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
Whoa, your hard drive may be dying. That could be "the click of death". I would replace it immediately.

Anyway, the best PSU in that list concerning price and quality is the V650 hands down. Yes, the SeaSonic G Series is the absolute best, but you don't need to spend that much.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Whoa, your hard drive may be dying. That could be "the click of death". I would replace it immediately.

Anyway, the best PSU in that list concerning price and quality is the V650 hands down. Yes, the SeaSonic G Series is the absolute best, but you don't need to spend that much.
Look again it says Corsair VS not Cooler Master VS.
The Corsair VS is junk.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
Aw damn. :(

So then yeah, the only one really worth buying is the SeaSonic G Series. The others are good too, but if you pull too close to their advertised capacity, then they could get noisy. You won't ever do that with your current build, but still.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
Its not the first time the two have gotten mixed up.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Its not the first time the two have gotten mixed up.
Yeah, lol I know. Still..... that damn Corsair.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, lol I know. Still..... that damn Corsair.
The VS is meant for places like India and southeast asia where you cant get much else and where the power is not always very reliable stable or clean.
Its about as barebones as you can get and it does really not belong in anything but the most barebone or basic PC´s.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The VS is meant for places like India and southeast asia where you cant get much else and where the power is not always very reliable stable or clean.
Its about as barebones as you can get and it does really not belong in anything but the most barebone or basic PC´s.
Oh, 240V:

"VS Series is the entry-level line of 240 Volt power supplies with high-end features. VS Series PSUs are a great choice if you're building a home or office system with lower power demands, but you still demand the compatibility and reliability that Corsair is known for."

Yep, it sounds like it's just a generic PSU with Corsair's brand name on it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalbkrad View Post

I'm buying from a local store so I've listed what they have that fits my budget.
I need something that will last my sig rig for at least another 3 years, granted I dont change any major parts.
Having extra power would also be nice if I decide to get an R7 370.

$52.8 Seasonic (600BT) ECO series, 600watts (probably crap because of the "eco" name?)
$55.4 Seasonic (S12II) 520watts 80+ Bronze
$56.9 Corsair VS650 650watts
$60.2 Corsair CX500 80+ Bronze
$63.4 Seasonic (S12II) 620watts 80+ Bronze
$66.0 Seasonic (M12II) Evo 520watts 80+ Bronze Modular
$68.3 Corsair CX600 80+ Bronze
$75.3 Seasonic (M12II) Evo 620watts 80+ Bronze Modular
$76.1 Seasonic G550 80+ Gold Modular

My OS drive gives a clicking noise when copying files so I did some troubleshooting and think my Aerocool strikeX psu is not providing enough power.
I unplugged the 2nd harddrive and all case fans, booted again and ran HDtune on my OS drive and there were no errors, drive health was 100%.
My psu is 3 years old so its probably just about time it started weakening from heavy usage.
Anyway, so yeah, I would replace the hard drive immediately because that might be "the click of death".

The breakdown of the PSUs is basically this: the Corsair PSUs are overpriced, the SeaSonic S12II and M12II PSUs could get loud if the power load is close to the advertised capacity (but that will never happen with your current build), and I don't know anything about the SeaSonic 600BT. The 550W SeaSonic G Series is a very good PSU, and so that's the only one on this list that I can recommend in good conscience.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
Quote:

Oh, 240V:

"VS Series is the entry-level line of 240 Volt power supplies with high-end features. VS Series PSUs are a great choice if you're building a home or office system with lower power demands, but you still demand the compatibility and reliability that Corsair is known for."

Yep, it sounds like it's just a generic PSU with Corsair's brand name on it.
They are just a rebrand of the CWT GPM platform but as you can see pretty barebone and tiny as well

All the caps are second or even third rate taiwanese and chinese.

The Seasonic G is the best one on the list which is the reason why it costs more.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
After looking at that, I can't help but hear it saying, "I'm gonna be a real PSU when I grow up!"

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks guys.
So my first choice would be Seasonic G550, and just in case its not on stock ill get the Seasonic (S12II) 620watts.

The OS HDD clicking stops when I unplug case fans and the 2nd HDD.
So im thinking its not getting enough power. They all run at 12 VDC right?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalbkrad View Post

ok thanks guys.
So my first choice would be Seasonic G550, and just in case its not on stock ill get the Seasonic (S12II) 620watts.

The OS HDD clicking stops when I unplug case fans and the 2nd HDD.
So im thinking its not getting enough power. They all run at 12 VDC right?
Mostly, but not entirely:

http://www.overclock.net/t/722251/on-psu-voltages

1 - 14 of 14 Posts