Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to convert my current HTPC into a NAS server that I can stream videos to multiple raspberry pi. The hard drives are formatted NTFS and I am looking for descent software that is compatible as I do not have the funds to buy enough hard drives to swap files around after formatting to a different format.

·
Registered
505 Posts
then you are definetly stock with windows it whathever version you would like to use I would say use 8.1 pro or enterprise and use plex media server

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Either that or Emby. They seem very similar; you'd probably be pleased with either one, though I do see Plex recommended more often. I'm not familiar with Pis but I assume it would work.

Personally, I'm going to be trying Kodi with Emby add-on (once I get OpenVPN setup and lock down my firewall a bit more). The reason being that the media management and web interface is supposedly a bit more robust on Emby, and much more importantly (to me) it has more seamless integration with Kodi plus it's open source.

·
Linux > All
1,665 Posts
I think NAS specific software is very overrated, especially for home use. Any linux distro (I'd suggest Ubuntu or Debian) is nearly foolproof to setup a few file shares on from the command line. Linux can work with NTFS drives just fine, although certainly not ideal. Don't overthink it.

*EDIT* Another benefit to rolling your own from a linux distro instead of a NAS software is you can use the box for other services. It is a full linux server, not a hamstrung nas with no other abilities beyond what docker can provide. My main htpc started out life as a nas, but since become my living room htpc and server for my whole lan. Does everything for me with no difficulty. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,540 Posts
I second Tadaen Sylvermane's notion, although if you want something more... "NAS"y then look into OpenMediaVault, based on debian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts