Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have already posted about this a while back, and I thought I found my solution, but my problem as reappeared.

Here is my issue: my computer just randomly died during light internet use and now refuses to boot. The power lights flash on and the fans power on but immediately power off. This process repeats over and over until I unplug the computer.

I posted here a few weeks ago because I had this same problem, someone suggested it was my Corsair RAM, so I RMA'd it got the new RAM and have had no problems for a week now, until today.

Could this STILL be my RAM, could corsair have sent me another bunk kit? Or could this be something else? I can't even get my computer to turn back on now, even if I remove all the sticks of ram and just try booting with one.

Any help or ideas are really appreciated, this is driving me insane.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you tried clearing the CMOS to reset the bios?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Power Supply?

• Rep+
Reactions: amtbr

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried resetting the CMOS, nothing. Its funny, if I leave it off for a minute it gets a little further into the boot process then dies. Any way to tell what is dying, PS or MB?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amtbr View Post
Tried resetting the CMOS, nothing. Its funny, if I leave it off for a minute it gets a little further into the boot process then dies. Any way to tell what is dying, PS or MB?
Swap out components. Try PSU.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I am gona go buy a PSU at Frys to test that out, cheaper than getting a new MB. Does anyone know if these symptoms reek of PSU dying or MB?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amtbr View Post
Guess I am gona go buy a PSU at Frys to test that out, cheaper than getting a new MB. Does anyone know if these symptoms reek of PSU dying or MB?
Either or. Symptoms are usually erratic with either. Try PSU. If it's not the issue, return it!

• Rep+

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmmm... usually this happens to me with either bad ram, or corrupt bios. And it doesnt seem to be either of those. My experience with bad PSUs is that the computer doesnt even power on at all, but that experience is fairly limited. No experience with bad Mobos though :/

I think it would be rare that ALL the sticks of ram would be bad and if it doesnt boot with just one of any of them, then i would rule that out.

next thing I would do is rule out PSU, you could probably get your hands on one of those fairly cheaply and fast compared to a Mobo. EDIT: looks like you guys already figured that out haha

• Rep+

·
Registered
165 Posts
if it's a PSU, set everything to stock,

Pull out everything except your (1) stick of RAM, a HDD and on-board video if you have it, and test by reinstalling one component at a time until it acts funky.

If it's a P/S issue, usually they'll manifest themselves during load.
So, by removing the bulk of the load, you should be able to test the limit by gradually reinstalling the parts 1 by 1.

If it's unstable with nothing plugged into the board except 1 hdd, it's either the MoBo or the P/S.

Without a spare of either, there's no way to drill down further.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Power on and off immediately indicates: PSU issue, overheating, or short-circuit.

It is definitely not RAM or HDD (unless of course they are shorting).

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Power on and off immediately indicates: PSU issue, overheating, or short-circuit.

It is definitely not RAM or HDD (unless of course they are shorting).
I suggest PSU, mostly because I've had the same kind of issues back when I did PC Work (years ago). LOTS of cruddy PSU's have issues with voltage regulation after awhile, and they cause all kinds of erratic problems.

Even with higher end PSU's they do fail, so I still think buying another one and swapping it will knock out a LOT of potential issues.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I let it sit for a good 4 hours, it booted on and I jumped for joy, then before it got to windows loading it died again, now it wont even give me any love.

I tried only letting it boot with my SSD boot drive, no CDrom or HDs, nada. Then I even unplugged my 4870 and nada, not even the screen that says video power unplugged. Gona grab a new PSU at Frys tomorrow, hopefully this fixes it. FU to coolermaster if this is my problem, Ive only had this PSU for 3 years.

Thank you all for your help, I'll post if I get lucky tomorrow. I DO NOT want to have to buy a new motherboard then RMA my current one.

-Update, ordered a shiny new corsair 650w bronze modular supply. I really wish this was a cooler upgrade, PSU's are so boring but oh so important.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
I posted this in another thread in the Motherboard section, but will add it here as well. I just got my Father's i7 build parts in today. Complete and new build consisting of : i7 920, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R, 3x 2GB OCZ Gold 1600, XFX 5770 1GB, Corsair 650TX PSU and Corsair H50 cpu cooler. Have 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3's, but I left them unplugged for troubleshooting/testing. The H50 I took off the stock fan and replaced with a Gelid PWM 120mm fan with another due tomorrow for push/pull.

Here is the problem. The first time I fired it up, it went into a non stop power on/off cycle. The system and GPU fans all spin up, most if not all the MB LED's flash on, the H50 pump/fan comes on then restarts, before even getting anything to come on the screen. The whole process lasts about 2-4 seconds, then repeats. I get a signal because the monitor shows "PC" in the middle like it is getting a signal but soon as it restarts it goes back to no signal, then repeats, over and over until I turn off the PSU's power switch on the back. I can't figure out what is causing it. Any advice on this would be great. I am fairly knowledgeable with building, but haven't dealt with Intel in years, only AMD. Will be trying my sig rig's PSU first, then trying each stick of RAM one at at time, then try my 4870 in it. After that, I will be out of options unless someone can point me in another direction. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amtbr
View Post

-Update, ordered a shiny new corsair 650w bronze modular supply. I really wish this was a cooler upgrade, PSU's are so boring but oh so important.

should be good
let us know how it goes either way

and strat go ahead and try those options to eliminate possibilities and let us know how it goes. did you reset cmos yet? (usually my first step as its easy
)

• Rep+

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
Ok, reset cmos of course, each time I tried anything different, as always. I then tried each of the 3 sticks of RAM by themselves in each of the first 3 slots and eliminated that. Then I put my 4870 in to rule out his 5770 and was still a no go. Then last ditch effort I changed the h50 pump to a normal molex connector and got it off the motherboard fan headers, just to make sure it wasn't taking more amps than a header can deal with. As well as changed the Gelid PWM fan out with the stock h50 fan to rule out PWM settings doing something crazy.

My next step is to take the motherboard out of the case and into a cardboard box to make sure I wasn't grounded somewhere, then I will try my PSU last. I wanted to do PSU as one of the first things, but really hoping I found something before then. I really don't want to unhook everything in my sig rig, since I am using dual PSU's and will have to redo everything again. But I will if the out of case attempt doesn't pan out. It is looking more and more like the PSU. Sucks, I was thinking I got one of the best out there, never would have thought DOA on it, with its great reputation. Oh well, it happens.

Just going by what Duckie says, it pretty much has to be a ground issue or PSU. I've eliminated everything else pretty much. No way is it heat, it restarts within 3 seconds before monitor even has time to show anything, after a very cold boot and I'm 99% sure the h50 is solid onto the CPU and the pump is running/fan turning. Just not on long enough to overheat, even if the pump/fan wasn't working.

Edit: Not going to attempt the out of case or PSU till tomorrow, I've had enough for one day. One thing that does worry me, I had a little trouble getting the CPU latch thing to lock down, it was my first time working with an Intel in about 10 years or more. I don't think I hurt anything on it though, I never took the cpu back out once I placed it. Just lifted the retention thing up and down a few times to make sure it was secured right. But just in case, would a bad CPU or Motherboard pins cause the power to cycle like this?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat79
View Post

Edit: Not going to attempt the out of case or PSU till tomorrow, I've had enough for one day. One thing that does worry me, I had a little trouble getting the CPU latch thing to lock down, it was my first time working with an Intel in about 10 years or more. I don't think I hurt anything on it though, I never took the cpu back out once I placed it. Just lifted the retention thing up and down a few times to make sure it was secured right. But just in case, would a bad CPU or Motherboard pins cause the power to cycle like this?

i think you would know if you had seated the cpu badly i can remember that it felt like i was putting the socket in a bind when i installed my cpu but it runs fine. i think it's just supposed to be tight

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will say 70% chance PSU. I had issues with everything coming off of 1 rail rather than sharing it among the 2. I did not realize this at first. I eventually had the problem of no aux power to the mobo so no board fans were running. Then eventually it would not give power to the board at all and not boot. I re did my cable set up so everything was evenly distributed over the 2 rails and it fixed my problem.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schizms View Post
should be good
let us know how it goes either way

and strat go ahead and try those options to eliminate possibilities and let us know how it goes. did you reset cmos yet? (usually my first step as its easy
)
Yeah I did that, forgot to update. I wish a simple thing like that would save me 120$, can't be lucky all the time. At least my new PSU will be modular, good bye cable mess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts