Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dfi lan party nforce 3 socket 754 motherboard right now and im trying to decided what proccessor would be the better choose for ocing. I have decided to get a amd 64 3400 but cant decide on the core. The money difference is only 25 dollars for the clawhammer which has 1mb of cache. But I havent heard much about clawhammer cores and how good they can oc and the performance advantage over newcastle. Need help with this decision.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullzero

I have a dfi lan party nforce 3 socket 754 motherboard right now and im trying to decided what proccessor would be the better choose for ocing. I have decided to get a amd 64 3400 but cant decide on the core. The money difference is only 25 dollars for the clawhammer which has 1mb of cache. But I havent heard much about clawhammer cores and how good they can oc and the performance advantage over newcastle. Need help with this decision.

The 1MB l2 will provide quite a bit of performance over the newcastle. You can also get a Clawhammer 3400 + 62Watt Mobile, which will stay lower in temps (1.4vcore, 62watts, Strained Silicon), allowing for better overclocking

·
Registered
378 Posts
ive got my newcastle 3000+ cg revision past 3400+ speeds, and it smokes the 3400 in sisoft sandra benchmarks

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Go for the clawhammer, it would pwn over the newcastle.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
3400+ Clawhammers beat the 3500+ newcastles in most things. It's a nice CPU so i'd get it. I like the 3400+ to 3500+ range of CPU's. Your not wasting your money but your getting some nice performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys im going for the amd 64 3400 mobile clawhammer im going to get it from excaliburPC i have been hearing some good stuff about the revision they have there and selling currently.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Yiffy just got one from there, the revision they have right now, and he sais its a POS, so id wait for next to come out....but the processor itself is great

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmboy30

ive got my newcastle 3000+ cg revision past 3400+ speeds, and it smokes the 3400 in sisoft sandra benchmarks

Really???

Well you're at 232FSBx10 and the stock Clawhammer 3400+ is at 200FSBx11. And thats not a fair comparision.

Now take that clawhammer 3400, drop the multi to 10 up the FSB to 232 (to match your specs), and watch how quickly you got owned by a clawhammer.

BTW, that was just to match your speed. I'm sure a 3400+ clawhammer will overclock much further than a 3000+ newcastle.

Not trying to bash your CPU, just stating the facts

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Yeah I got this POS from NewEgg, I wanted the one from excaliber, but they're out of stock...
ClawHammers are better, it's just that simple. I'm running the same clocks as I was on my NewCastle and I got a 10% increase or more in my benchmarks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts