Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really kept up with TVs, but from what I gather it doesn't seem like 4k is worth it at this point, and can actually make non-4k look worse than a regular HDTV. I'm looking to keep it around 65", $3k-$4k at most, so I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm not really sure where plasmas stand today. I've seen complaints that some of them can be noisy (a persistent, humming that doesn't go away; specifically, the Samsung PN64 equivalent to the one I listed below).
Sony KDL65W850A, $2500
Samsung UN65F8000, $3100

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
My parents have the 65F8000 and its absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous. Worth every penny they paid for it... Changed my opinion on Samsung products pretty much (I did not have a high opinion of them before..)

It has Plasma-like black level, Seriously, amazing contrast and it doesnt have motion blur or any of the other LCD issues. It also has a very extensive calibration menu and the smart TV things are pretty nice on it. Really I cant find any faults with it (Except that my parents HAD the motion smoothing cranked to maximum.. You can turn that off thankfully) The remotes are nice too (Theirs came with 2, a normal one and the fancy touch one) Works good for gaming too (I connected my laptop to it at one point and played stuff on it..quite nice)

As for Plasma.. they're going out, Panasonics stopping production soon, they're a dying breed for many reasons (the largest is that they really arent economic to produce...)

Best advice from me? Try to find a place you can see one or both TVs in person locally... Also many local dealers will happily price match online, Though at the price point you're looking at these TVs are effectively price fixed (Samsung aggressively does this on the F8000s, if it goes on sale one place EVERYONE has it for that same price)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts