Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I currently have a Zalman 9700 on an i5 750, right now running at 3.8ghz at 1.328 Vcore, but temps are a little too high for me.. up to around 80 celsius if I run Prime. Other than that, it never goes beyond around 70-75, but I need a better cooler.

For a long time I have been considering the H50, and I've read pretty much all of the threads and discussions concerning it vs. Megahalem, D14, Shadow, True, etc. The room the H50 allows and the quiet noise is definitely a plus for me.

However! On craigslist I have recently found someone with this offer, all for $60:

I am selling a used Prolimatech Megahalems Heatsink that is still in excellent condition. I will also be throwing in 2 120x38mm fans and clips at no cost. 1 Fan is a Highspeed Panaflo and the other fan is a rare San Ace H101 (Both cost about $20 each). It's only been used for about 3 months and I am switching to water cooling so I no longer need it.

*Me again*: I've asked, and this is a Rev. B.
I have a Rosewill Case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147059

I think the cooling is decent at best, but I am concerned about space issues; I also have a gtx 260. But the Zalman is already big and I got it to fit though so.. Oh boy! H50 or Megahalem with those two fans??

Thanks in advance! I've been following these forums for few months now but never really posted; great community here!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
MegaHalem is proven over and over again...and did he throw in the bracket if he did I would call that a deal and plus ur getting two fans which is really nice so I would say do it honestly. I have one and It cools my stuff so well that I am glad I got it over the cmv8. U will not be disappointed with this item and you will love it. Its a beast and it would be big with two fans but you will be fine...good luck with it if u get it...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Well. I got Megahelms Rev.B last week, and I love this thing. I sit at a high of 68C While running Prime, but I still think I can do better. Have to fine tune my OC a little more. I'm at 4ghz bt the way! I got my Megahelms for $60.00 new, but I had to by fans as well. So pretty good deal I guess. I was considering the H50 as well, but I just can't get my head around putting liquid cooling into my computer. LOL
By the way, I got my Megahelms in a 7.5" wide Cooler Master 310 Elite.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh I think I may very well do it! I just wanted to make sure this was a deal worth going for, while dropping my pursuit of the "quieter, more spacious" H50.. cause I am going to try to overclock some more.. ideally a bit more than 4ghz..

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you running on stock? I'm at 3.8 at 1.328 vcore..

Also, I've been meaning to ask, I have a Gigabyte UD3R, and the voltage I set is in the advanced voltage settings is different than what shows up in the main Bios under VCore... Is this normal? This is regardless of whether I have LLC enabled. Should I go by that setting, or the setting I choose? Cpu-z also gives me the same numbers as my VCore... so while I actually choose 1.36 in my voltage settings, under VCore in the status it says 1.328, along with CPU-z. If I enabled LLC, and choose 1.36 volts, the VCore in bios says 1.44 (again same with cpu-z)...

Time to pick up megahalem!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice; I am quite satisfied. Still at 3.8ghz on the i5 750, and idle temps dropped 10 degrees to 38 celsius. On Prime95 temps dropped 20 degrees compared to my zalman, around 63..

Should be good right?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kLuTz View Post
Very nice; I am quite satisfied. Still at 3.8ghz on the i5 750, and idle temps dropped 10 degrees to 38 celsius. On Prime95 temps dropped 20 degrees compared to my zalman, around 63..

Should be good right?
Just to let you know your cooler beat the h50 in most labs test, fans and case air flow dependnt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts