Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I was originally planning to build a new monster desktop, but with a new job, moving, and both my external backup and desktop failing in the same week..I need a rig and fast.

I've settled on two. The XoticPC Exodus(SS FT03 Fortress) and the Maingear Potenza Superstock(FT03 Mini Fortress)

My two main specs I have to have are the 4770K and GTX770.

So between the two, which would you guys choose? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like they are only 300 or so more and great warranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Which build on the super stock were you looking at (cpu& gpu)? Edit: missed your specs on first read.
Ditto on the exodus (prime, sovereign, paramount, or epic)? Any add-ons?
Cheapest I can configure with the xotic is $1545 to your requested spec - no keyboard mouse LCD or mods.

Just to check - you really want z87 over a similar spec z77?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought z77 is obsolete now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
A good z77 with a good sandy / ivy will do most of everything you want with a much nicer price tag. Definitely not obsolete. Price savings will allow you to go with ssd & other upgrades which will make a large difference.

Edit: Just checked: cheapest Potenza is also going to be $1613.

Do you really want the Silverstone FT03B-MINI? It's SFX power supply will limit a few of your options. But if that's the case, we can suggest a few builds for it. I take it that you're looking at mostly gaming - anything else?
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Kold

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent a day considering what y'all said and I think you are spot on. The price is too high for what I'm getting. My new idea is to build my own and go with the Silverstone SG10B or TJ08B.

Couple new questions if y'all don't mind. Would a mini ATX or micro ATX board be best for use in these cases? Is the Corsair H80i worth buying? It has some mixed reviews so I'm unsure. Would the GTX 780 be better with the blower or Evga's ACX cooler in these small cases? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is what I'm planning to pull the trigger on ASAP. Please, someone, if you see a red flag or an issue let me know! I would really appreciate some other eyes looking at it. Thank you.

Specs:
EVGA ACX GTX 780

- Even though I play at 1080P, I want to use AA in most of my games.
Also, would this ACX cooler be best in the SG10B or should I get the Titan style blower?
Asus Maximus VI Gene mATX
- I will never SLI, so should I get the Asus Maximus Impact instead? It's mini ITX and would add more space inside my case, right?
ARCTIC MX-2
SilverStone Sugo Series SG10B
- If anyone has owned this case, is the front grille plastic or a filter?
Corsair H80i
- Is the H80i the best route for the SG10B? Or is there a way I could get better cooling performance?
SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W
- Looked to be one of the best rated PSUs out there and is 160MM + completely modular.
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
Intel Core i7-4770K
- I could get the i5-4670K, but I do a lot of RARing, encoding, and converting of video files.
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
- There are a lot of $199.99 256GB options. Should I just pick one and save $40 dollars?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kold View Post

Here is what I'm planning to pull the trigger on ASAP. Please, someone, if you see a red flag or an issue let me know! I would really appreciate some other eyes looking at it. Thank you.

Specs:
EVGA ACX GTX 780

- Even though I play at 1080P, I want to use AA in most of my games.
Also, would this ACX cooler be best in the SG10B or should I get the Titan style blower?
Asus Maximus VI Gene mATX
- I will never SLI, so should I get the Asus Maximus Impact instead? It's mini ITX and would add more space inside my case, right?
ARCTIC MX-2
SilverStone Sugo Series SG10B
- If anyone has owned this case, is the front grille plastic or a filter?
Corsair H80i
- Is the H80i the best route for the SG10B? Or is there a way I could get better cooling performance?
SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W
- Looked to be one of the best rated PSUs out there and is 160MM + completely modular.
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
Intel Core i7-4770K
- I could get the i5-4670K, but I do a lot of RARing, encoding, and converting of video files.
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
- There are a lot of $199.99 256GB options. Should I just pick one and save $40 dollars?
If you will never SLI and you consider going ITX, why not change the case as well?
With the parts you've choose everything should fit fine inside a Node 304, and you can get the short cable kit from silver stone to help you there.
Just my opinion tho, I see no reason to go MATX with that ugly<-(IMO) case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Your kit out would be a nice rig. I think you'd have more fun and building it would make it "yours" in a very different way.

Here's a few things to think about.
Do you think you want the i7 over a similar spec'd i5? Again, if this is a gamer machine, a mild overclock on the i5 will yield everything you need. The i7 (other than bragging rights) really helps in those tasks where you need hyperthreading (i.e. encoding, CAD work, etc.) an I5 is no slouch in these tasks either, but the i7 rules. Now in gaming, hyperthreading doesn't do much. So you might be paying for something you wont use / use infrequently. An i5-4670K is $240 vs the i7's $340. Use the extra cash other places (better monitor / SSDs, sound, etc.)

Graphics are kinda of a Ford vs Chevy thing, however, have you seen the recent price drops on AMD's cards?
For what you're dropping on that gtx 780, you could have a 7990. True dual GPU for an itx, twice the Vram, better 3dMark score, almost twice the floating point calcs, twice the shaders, (see a trend here?).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202036 (includes 8 free games, and a great cooler)

-or -
look into a 7970
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008 (truly a little behind the gtx 780, but $300! cheaper!)

or a 7950 overclocked:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667 ($250 - almost $400 cheaper - this is my card, and it's does 1920x1080 all day long, but mine is WC and modded)

The whole matx vs itx is choice. I was mATX for a long time but now I run three machines, all ITX. So I like it. Now, if you've not made many machines, ITX can be smaller to work in. So if you go smaller, just take your time. Post here if you need help.

For itx, I would suggest you look at this: ($190)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132028

but if you want, you can do the ROG Asus, it has a few more bells and whistles, but it's $50+ ($230)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132039

Now, for an IVY (Z77), check this out. it's a good overclocker, and has a $20 MIR for a final price of $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131840
mated to a i5-3570K ($220)

If you want to try ITX check out this case (also Silverstone)
It includes a nice 600W power supply. Not modular, but will be good. About the same price as your case / power combo. A small mail in rebate for the next three days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L6ZHEG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=06F4CRY1CCPDXSEJWAQY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

or with a window:
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Mini-ITX-Mini-DTX-Certified-SG07B-W/dp/B003V8ATM2/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377699604&sr=1-19&keywords=silverstone+itx

You have a good SSD. Depending on choices you make, I'd look at another one for games and / or a storage drive (like a 2-3TB 5200 rpm). Personally, I did a 16GB ram kit (2x8), but I do alot of photoshop, so it might not make as much difference for you.

Wheh - lots of typing. Your thoughts?
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Kold

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys this is a lot of help. The Node 304.. I hadn't even seen! Is the front aluminum or plastic? I will see about going with the i5-4670K, then. Saving $100 would be nice for a minimal loss. As for GPUs, my mind is unfortunately made up on the 780 lol. Nvidia fan for life. I am sold on the ITX boards and the Node.. so I'll post a revised build shortly!. Thanks again!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Kold

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beldecca View Post

If you really want a fun ITX case, here's the one I just bought
http://www.caselabs-store.com/mercury-s3-case/
Watch out for the price tag though . . .
Dude! that case is sexy as hell! Screw the price! Does it have the same footprint as the Node? Do the vents have dust filters? I couldn't see any filters in the pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
There are not dust filters, but you can add them easily. See here:
http://www.caselabs-store.com/lamptron-120mm-fan-filter/

or if you want to get creative:
http://www.demcifilter.com/cu8/Custom-Filters.aspx

or just use this:
http://www.demcifilter.com/p0031/Double-120mm-OD-Computer-Dust-Filter.aspx

EDIT: they make a custom one: http://www.demcifilter.com/p0439/Caselabs-1202-Flex-Bay-Grill-Dust-Filter.aspx

Best ITX to water cool IMO - I searched for a long time. N1 only thing to come close (that's going to be available, there are some no longer in production)
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Kold

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Currently, it may be best for me to go with the Node due to build time constraints, but I think once I have some free time again, I'm going to buy that case and an XSPC kit for my cpu and card! That case is so cool lol! I want it now, but I just don't have time to put together filters and fans, ect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is what I plan to put in the Mercury S3. What do y'all think? I decided to drop down to the i5-4670K and make a few other changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hm.. I didn't get around to comparing measurements, but you are most definitely right. Still, I can't argue with the beauty of the S3!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kold View Post

Hm.. I didn't get around to comparing measurements, but you are most definitely right. Still, I can't argue with the beauty of the S3!
Lots of nice options on the S3 too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kold View Post

Thank you guys this is a lot of help. The Node 304.. I hadn't even seen! Is the front aluminum or plastic? I will see about going with the i5-4670K, then. Saving $100 would be nice for a minimal loss. As for GPUs, my mind is unfortunately made up on the 780 lol. Nvidia fan for life. I am sold on the ITX boards and the Node.. so I'll post a revised build shortly!. Thanks again!!
The front on the Node is anodized aluminum, but the backing on the aluminum is plastic.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top