Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at alot of stuff this past week or so and this thursday i will have my computer =).

But for now i am stuck on ordering a few parts for the comp exspecially the cpu and mobo.

This tuesday is when i monday is when im ordering the parts so i need some info quick.

The cpu i am getting is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ which is costing me 169$ from newegg.com i need to know if it is good at OC'ing or not. If you find anything else for the same price or a tad bit more expensive (Like 15$ more) please say so LoL.

The next thing i am worried about is my mobo which is MSI K8NGM2-L Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail yes i know its a micro-atx my case is also so im not worried about that. I am worried about any problems with this mobo like if it breaks easy or if it gets hot easy or if it just cant OC good.

Please if any one has any knowledge please inform me soon because i am ordering this in like 14hrs. =)

Thnx,
Mr~Anarchie

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
I wouldnt get a micro atx.
And no there isnt a cpu for liek 15$ more thats better.
If you wanted like 15$ cheaper then you coudl get the 3000 which has the same core but without the 10x multi.

Also if you can get the venice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The micro-atx is fine with me. Its more of a personal likeing i guess.
But for the cpu it is going to be a 3200+ venice. So for overclocking the 3200+ venice is better? About how far can i OC that 3200+ venice ?

Good Help So Far,
Mr~Anarchie

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Yes, the Venice is likely to be the best revision of the 3200+ for overclocking.
If your mobo can support the speeds, the CPU is likely to hit around 2.6Ghz-2.7Ghz with decent cooling. The problem that you may encounter with M-ATX is that it might be difficult to keep the CPU cool enough to really o/c it due to poor air flow and conventional high end cooling would be too large to fit in the case. You might be okay with the stock cooler though, just keep an eye on its temps.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
I too am in the process of creating a micro-ATX LAN machine. I would suggest a THERMALRIGHT XP-90c. I know it is copper and wieghs quite a bit but as the motherboard is located horizontal this causes no problems. It will provide excellent cooling of the CPU in such a resticted location with minimal airflow (as compared to a full ATX case).

The motherboard I purchased for this was an ALBATRON KM51PV. The MSI is similar chipset.
If only there was a micro ATX version of the ASUS A8R-MVP.......

For the CPU which I have not decided upon mainly due to unknown budget I was thinking along the same lines as you in an ATHLON64 3000+ Venice core. This is a low cost option and suits my needs (mid range LAN gamming).
The next up would be for a ATHLON64 3700+ Sandiego core but alas there is quite a rise in the pricing.

cheers and good luck

• Rep+
Reactions: Mr~Anarchie

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Yes, the Venice is likely to be the best revision of the 3200+ for overclocking.
If your mobo can support the speeds, the CPU is likely to hit around 2.6Ghz-2.7Ghz with decent cooling. The problem that you may encounter with M-ATX is that it might be difficult to keep the CPU cool enough to really o/c it due to poor air flow and conventional high end cooling would be too large to fit in the case. You might be okay with the stock cooler though, just keep an eye on its temps.

Even with stock cooling mine oc'ed to 2.65 and I couldnt get any higher without more voltage (which I dont have yet).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

I couldnt get any higher without more voltage

What do you mean by that? I am getting a 500w psu if that means anything that has to do with voltage. So far i am liking this CPU so it sounds good, i just want it to be able to run Everquest 2 and Battlefield 2 basically, so will it be ale to run that?

Thnx for time,
Whoever gives me useful info that i need i will glady give u rep points!

Mr~Anarchie

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr~Anarchie

What do you mean by that?

The Asus board is limited to 1.55 vcore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.