Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okej i got my WD Sata driver and im in the installation for win xp. and it says its 130g when its 200..whats upp whitt that?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,000 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that they partitioned it at the factory into a 70 and a 130. That's wierd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp
The only thing I can think of is that they partitioned it at the factory into a 70 and a 130. That's wierd.
In bios it says 200 gig...hmm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sper

Okej i got my WD Sata driver and im in the installation for win xp. and it says its 130g when its 200..whats upp whitt that?

If you're not installing with SP1 or greater XP wont be able to see the complete drive untill you update. The initial version of XP didn't have support for the 48bit LBA.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
There are restrictions on HDD sizes which patches in XP SP1 fix, the 130GB is a restriction, it does look like the factory went ahead and partitioned it with a pre SP1 system which restricted it to 130GB, go ahead and make a second partition for the additional 70GB of unallocated space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
There are restrictions on HDD sizes which patches in XP SP1 fix, the 130GB is a restriction, it does look like the factory went ahead and partitioned it with a pre SP1 system which restricted it to 130GB, go ahead and make a second partition for the additional 70GB of unallocated space.
hm okej so install Win on teh 130 then and the 70gig well...save some crap on it...got a 120 gig IDE disk.....but it keeps booting from it even if i out it on slave
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sper

hm okej so install Win on teh 130 then and the 70gig well...save some crap on it...got a 120 gig IDE disk.....but it keeps booting from it even if i out it on slave

Let me guide you...

What HDDs do you have installed?
how many partitions on each disk?
how big are the partitions?
What partition on what disk is Windows installed on?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,820 Posts
I just went through the same thing. I ended up leaving XP format the drive with the 130gb and then went back afterward through control panel/admin tools/computer management/storage/disk management, clicked on unused space and formatted the remaining space as another drive.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bindusar

I just went through the same thing. I ended up leaving XP format the drive with the 130gb and then went back afterward through control panel/admin tools/computer management/storage/disk management, clicked on unused space and formatted the remaining space as another drive.

Great explanation of what I was going to tell him, lets first figure out how much space he has and then figure out how to allocate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
Let me guide you...

What HDDs do you have installed?
how many partitions on each disk?
how big are the partitions?
What partition on what disk is Windows installed on?
200gig Sata driver Nothing installed
120gig ide drive whit windows xp and another partion whit programs on

i disconnected the ide driver for now till win xp is installed on the sata
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sper

200gig Sata driver Nothing installed
120gig ide drive whit windows xp and another partion whit programs on

i disconnected the ide driver for now till win xp is installed on the sata

Do you plan on loosing all data on the disks and reformating and reinstalling the OS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
Do you plan on loosing all data on the disks and reformating and reinstalling the OS?
Gonna have OS on sata driver and the ide driver is a disk for saving movies etc
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sper

Gonna have OS on sata driver and the ide driver is a disk for saving movies etc

Who are the manufacturers of the disks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
Who are the manufacturers of the disks?
Western digital sata disk and IBM hitachi deskstar 120 gig =P
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sper

Western digital sata disk and IBM hitachi deskstar 120 gig =P

You will want the disk wizard that came with the Western digital, load that disk on boot, and reformat both drives, then use the disk to make the partitions fill both disks, remember that the 120GB ide is to be formatted at the boot partition.

then reboot the computer and reinstall WInXP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
You will want the disk wizard that came with the Western digital, load that disk on boot, and reformat both drives, then use the disk to make the partitions fill both disks, remember that the 120GB ide is to be formatted at the boot partition.

then reboot the computer and reinstall WInXP.
how do i make so the IDE disk doestn boot the OS thats on it? so i can format it in windows
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sper

how do i make so the IDE disk doestn boot the OS thats on it? so i can format it in windows

Like I said, use the disk wizard disk at boot and reformat both harddrives, then you will have no OS on either and will be able to install WIn on the SATA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
Like I said, use the disk wizard disk at boot and reformat both harddrives, then you will have no OS on either and will be able to install WIn on the SATA.
i didnt get a disk whit the drive....hm
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sper

do i need to install drivers i windows for the hardrive?

Your bios should be setup to detect the SATA drive, to get the program go to www.westerndigital.com and look for the formatting program, the program runs from disk on the bootup.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top