Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
c'mon, no one have an opinion

will rep for useful

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Well if looking to the future, do what I did, Go with I7 and never look back.

A good X58 Mobo liek the Evga, Gigabyte ultra Durables or the Asus P6T Liek I had.

I would say start simple with 3x2 gb 1333mhz ram, upgrade that much later on when prices drop and more advanced modules are released.

Other choices that I like are the Phenom II's tri core, as most games really only benefit from 2 cores, the extra core wouldbe helpful as heck for antivirus and alt+tabbing to desktop from in game.

if you do Phenom you can get the new set and re-use your DDR2 memory, or sell the ram for a kit of DDR3
(including myself, there are many poeple selling 4 x 1 1600mhz DDR3 modules for cheap)

Or if you can, throw a Q6600 in the same mobo you have, or Chuck the mobo, grab the EP45-UD3P (ep45T for DDR3) from gigabyte (this board has proven excellent OCs for quads), and a Q9550, re-use your ram again or again, grab some DDR3 Dual Channel Modules for cheap.

I dont know hwo capable that PSU is that you have, so if you wanted to upgrade to higher level GPU, might want to check up on exactly what your PSU can and cannot handle.

If you have the cash, Core I7 will be one heck of a future guard, Games topday that utilize 2 and 4 cores are running excellently on I7 and Q9550, but when (if) games and other areas of interest to you (video encoding / compiling and all that jazz) you have benefit with I7 ability to turn on or off the Hyperthreading. For now my Hyperthreading is off, as it is much mroe beneficial for me with my games, to run on individual cores at full spead, rather than a "shared" core.

My hand full of Pennys for ya

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Canadian here, sorry, and no online either, F**ing parents

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
You already have a decent intel setup, so I would just say go for a C2Q. It'd be the cheapest option, because w/ a phenom, you'll have to buy a new motherboard too. Take all that saved money and save it

·
Registered
952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez View Post
You already have a decent intel setup, so I would just say go for a C2Q. It'd be the cheapest option, because w/ a phenom, you'll have to buy a new motherboard too. Take all that saved money and save it
+1
Go with the C2Q ,maybe extreme if have extra to spend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.