Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Here longer than mods lol
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all im in need of some help with a sound file I have, when it was recorded the sound was distorted so all that can be heard is a hissing sound, is there any software out there that can help me get rid of the noise and just let me hear the voice?
Rep+ to solution, need this done within 24hrs as its a matter of life and death! "kinda"

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Have you tried poking around with the program "Audacity"?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hmm sounds tricky, will watch this to see what people come up with

I'm more interested in what it is your trying to recover though

Did you cover the mic or something when you were perving on someone?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Well....you can record the hissing in a section,invert the wave form and loop it. Using a multitrack recording program,mix it down in the track to cancel out just the hissing noise.

I've not tried this program before,so I can't say it will work perfectly....but it is for forensic audio restoration and may be what your looking for.

http://www.enhancedaudio.com/

·
Here longer than mods lol
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I forgot to mention is that it contains video too, im afraid a cant upload any of it as its part of a court trail that is getting resolved and the audio is necessary to do so.

It would be a lot easier if I could but unfortunately cant

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
All I've been able to find are restoration services. The way I had suggested earlier is what I'd do in the studio...but,that would also make it inadmissable as evidence. (I think) As you would be replacing the audio w/ the repaired track,which they would have a case for dismissal since it could'nt be proven that the track info hadn't been altered. Tampering could be inferred by a clever lawyer or D.A.

At best,a great EQ'ing job is all you can do. Is the hiss a high frequency hiss and your trying to bring out voices? If that is the case....simply drop all the EQ bands above 6Khz to the lowest point, and boost the ones from 250Hz to 4Khz (progressively lowering from 1Khz to 4Khz). Which will boost the frequencies in the vocal range.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I would download the trial version of Vegas Pro. It's a multi-track A/V editing suite made by Sony.

If you can, get the camera and go back to the same location and record the hiss again, like j0n3z3y said. Then open your video in Vegas and also open the second video file. Mute the video track from the second video and then check "Invert Track Phase" on the audio track from the second video. Hit play and see if that eliminates the hum. If it still doesn't or it's still too loud, zoom in time-wise until the time markers are measured in FPS. Then move the audio track around and listen to make sure the second audio track is a complete 180 degree phase shift (where the hiss goes away the most).

If you can't do the above, still open the video in Vegas, but click "Track FX" on the audio track and you should see an "Audio Track FX" window with three tabs. Click on the track EQ one and drag the 1, 2, 3, and 4 dots around until it sounds like the hiss has gone away the most. Ignore all of the parameters below and just do it by ear (if it sounds bad, don't do what you're doing; if it sounds good, do it more). This option isn't the best as cutting out frequencies to eliminate hum will also cut out frequencies of whatever else was recorded.

If you do try to fix it with Vegas and you're stuck on something, feel free to toss me a PM.

Best of luck.

·
Banned
3,854 Posts
Get some AD700s, they won't make anything sound distorted. Everything played on them is clear and crisp. But don't forget the headphone amp because they really need one to truly shine. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts