Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm trying to upgrade my old Toshiba satellite's OS from Windows XP to windows 7, but I don't really know what the process is...

I know how to install it on my desktop, since I can boot from disc on it, but how do you configure it on a laptop?

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Boot off the DVD

Install it using "Custom" just write over the existing OS. It will move all your stuff to "Windows.old" just move the files you want from there to where they belong. You will have to reinstall your programs since there is no direct Upgrade method for XP.

There is a Settings and Files transfer tool from Microsoft also.

• Rep+
Reactions: Space Pope

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It's the same way. Does it have a DVD Drive? or is it "that old" If it's that old, make sure the ram meets the min reqs, and if it doesn't have a dvd drive (like netbooks) you might want to look into installing it from a thumb drive
There's nothing different when installing Windows on a desktop and laptop.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
This is what I did when changing operating systems on my Laptop.Firstly place the DVD in DVD ROM Drive.Restart the laptop.Than I had to press F10 to enter into laptop bios.From there I just changed the Boot Priority to boot from DVD.Thats it.After That just follow instructions on the DVD..You might have to look at your Laptop Manual on how to enter the BIOS.But usually its just F10 or press Del at the start and just change the Boot Priority from Hard Drive to DVD.

Try This:
turn on while tappind 'esc', then choose 'f2' for setup, 'f12' for boot setup

• Rep+
Reactions: Space Pope

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to do a clean install, but when I do try to open the disc, it gives me a whole bunch of folders and files. Which one do I go to?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts