Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past few months since early May I've owned the AMD Athlon 1055T Six Core, and overclocked it to 4ghz, doing some stability tests after the overclock I did, i always had the sixth core failing on me, however I ignored it since the fact I wouldn't use many programs or run games that would stress my CPU very much. Now past few weeks I've been getting BSODs in certain games like BFBC2 for example, while every other game ran fine and never caused me any problem. GTA IV for example didn't..

I decided to reset my default settings for bios and ran my system at stock clock for 2 weeks and it ran fine. Now today i overclocked it back to 4ghz.

Now I am hoping to find a way to stabilize my system. My temperatures on all my hardware components are reasonably very low, CPU never goes over 40c when stressed, at idle its always 10-20c max and always stays around room temperature.

All I did was, set the cpu multiplier by 286 so my cpu would be at 4004mhz, turned off turbo core, set overclocking manual, set RAM at 1525mhz, set CPU voltage at 1.45v (I use to run at 1.475 but it still didn't fix it), set DRAM volt at 1.65v.

Now am I doing anything wrong? I followed a tutorial on youtube by Linus, and his system setup is pretty much nearly exactly like mine.

CPU:AMD Athlon 1055T @ 4004mhz
Motherboard: Asus AM3 M4A89GTD-PRO
Memory: Kingston DDR CL9 1600mhz RAM
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Cooler
PSU: Thermaltake Silent Purepower 560W
GFX Card: HiS ATi Radeon 4850 512MB PCI-E
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred FullTower Two Gaming Case

Also is it dangerous to run my system at such high voltage settings? I'm worried it might get damaged in the future because I'd like to use this system for another 3-4 years and upgrade my GFX card and maybe PSU during the process, I had a AMD Athlon 6000+ start causing problems after a 1 1/2year of usage kept giving me BSODs and crashing during games sometimes.

This was very expensive for me to afford. But anyhow can someone help me out here? Kind of lost..

cheers

·
Registered
780 Posts
1.55 is amd's max specified vcore for all 45nm phenoms. as long as your temps are good, any vcore under that should be fine. quite a few people run phenoms at 1.5 volts or higher 24/7. i'd try raising your vcore to 1.5; also, what is your cpu-nb voltage? you ought to raise it a notch or two, as well

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sch010 View Post
1.55 is amd's max specified vcore for all 45nm phenoms. as long as your temps are good, any vcore under that should be fine. quite a few people run phenoms at 1.5 volts or higher 24/7. i'd try raising your vcore to 1.5; also, what is your cpu-nb voltage? you ought to raise it a notch or two, as well
I didn't tamper with the NB voltage since i followed a video tutorial which was recommended that since my board should be able to handle auto settings very well with over clocking that it wasn't necessary. It makes me feel very nervous to increase the voltage or tamper with voltage settings or any other settings I am not very famaliar with, one thing I don't want to see is a $350 NZD cpu go to the bin and my 3 year warranty not being able to cover it because i ****ed something up.

But yea i wouldn't know anything about over clocking the cpu-nb voltage.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by russianguy192 View Post
I didn't tamper with the NB voltage since i followed a video tutorial which was recommended that since my board should be able to handle auto settings very well with over clocking that it wasn't necessary. It makes me feel very nervous to increase the voltage or tamper with voltage settings or any other settings I am not very famaliar with, one thing I don't want to see is a $350 NZD cpu go to the bin and my 3 year warranty not being able to cover it because i ****ed something up.

But yea i wouldn't know anything about over clocking the cpu-nb voltage.
The risk of overclocking...
To me it sounds like you don't know what you are doing and you probably left most of the settings in your BIOS on "Auto"
If you left your NB frequency and HT Link frequency on "Auto" this is probably the reason why your system is unstable. With those settings left on "Auto" your NB frequency will be 2860Mhz and your HT Link will be the same, 10X multi.
Your board can probably do a 3Ghz NB frequency but you may need to set the voltage to 1.3-1.4v and not leave it on "Auto"
You want to keep your HT Link frequency between 2000Mhz-2400Mhz, anything higher will cause system instability...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanicy View Post
The risk of overclocking...
To me it sounds like you don't know what you are doing and you probably left most of the settings in your BIOS on "Auto"
If you left your NB frequency and HT Link frequency on "Auto" this is probably the reason why your system is unstable. With those settings left on "Auto" your NB frequency will be 2860Mhz and your HT Link will be the same, 10X multi.
Your board can probably do a 3Ghz NB frequency but you may need to set the voltage to 1.3-1.4v and not leave it on "Auto"
You want to keep your HT Link frequency between 2000Mhz-2400Mhz, anything higher will cause system instability...
Yes I know the risks, but I'd rather do things in moderation to keep safe. I only earn $13.50 NZD an hour :S so the cpu,motherboard,ram and case cost me roughly $1100 NZD brand new.

My NB and HT Link Frequency is set at 2295mhz at the moment, when checking on CPU-Z. Whats the best voltage settings for that. Just would like to confirm what others think as well, before I decide to pop up the BIOs again and configure the voltage.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dont afraid from increasing NB voltage.I set NB voltage in bios to +150 and the temp is fine(below 50 C)
Plus increase your NB and HT multipiler.I use 10 for both of them(268x10)and i have no problem in going further(270x10 for example).But my ram already reached to to its maximum so i cant increase motherboard clock anymore.

·
Registered
320 Posts
BTW for stabilizing you should get a better cooler and increase your core voltage to 1.5

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinakr6 View Post
Dont afraid from increasing NB voltage.I set NB voltage in bios to +150 and the temp is fine(below 50 C)
Plus increase your NB and HT multipiler.I use 10 for both of them(268x10)and i have no problem in going further(270x10 for example).But my ram already reached to to its maximum so i cant increase motherboard clock anymore.
do you mean +1.5v, not sure what you mean :S

So do I just set the multiplier for both 10x and thats it? It shouldn't increase my RAM though right?

Quote:

BTW for stabilizing you should get a better cooler and increase your core voltage to 1.5
Umm hyperplus 212+ is a good cooler and my temperatures are fairly low like I said 10-20c when Idle, same as room temperature, and never goes over 40-43c, paid quite a sum for it too. All other coolers are over my budget.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

do you mean +1.5v, not sure what you mean :S

So do I just set the multiplier for both 10x and thats it? It shouldn't increase my RAM though right?

Umm hyperplus 212+ is a good cooler and my temperatures are fairly low like I said 10-20c when Idle, same as room temperature, and never goes over 40-43c, paid quite a sum for it too. All other coolers are over my budget.
I mean +150 mv.1.5v increasement is just too much.
And yeah rise the muli of the both NB and HT.Both of them improves performance.My nb multi was on 10 when ht was on 6.Windows 7 gives 7.1 to my cpu but after i rise ht multi to 10 it gives me 7.3.
And HT and NB multi doesnt effect your ram.Only cpu multi effect it.

So if the temp is ok then feel safe to increase your cpu voltage.I believe you can safely go for higher voltage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

I mean +150 mv.1.5v increasement is just too much.
And yeah rise the muli of the both NB and HT.Both of them improves performance.My nb multi was on 10 when ht was on 6.Windows 7 gives 7.1 to my cpu but after i rise ht multi to 10 it gives me 7.3.
And HT and NB multi doesnt effect your ram.Only cpu multi effect it.

So if the temp is ok then feel safe to increase your cpu voltage.I believe you can safely go for higher voltage.
I am still not very sure at the moment, I will need to take a picture of the BIOS then and show you, :S

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

I am still not very sure at the moment, I will need to take a picture of the BIOS then and show you, :S
Ok bro.But i have no doubt that your instability is because of lack of the voltage.Cuase i see many phenom II CPUs that runs at 4.1 GHz totally stable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Ok bro.But i have no doubt that your instability is because of lack of the voltage.Cuase i see many phenom II CPUs that runs at 4.1 GHz totally stable.
Hmm was just browsing the net and boom BSOD now, General protection fault bsod.

I managed to get into the BIOS again, NB voltage is at around 1.25v .

I can't seem to figure out how to change the multiplier for the NB and HT only able to change the mhz but not the multiplier for it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

Hmm was just browsing the net and boom BSOD now, General protection fault bsod.

I managed to get into the BIOS again, NB voltage is at around 1.25v .

I can't seem to figure out how to change the multiplier for the NB and HT only able to change the mhz but not the multiplier for it.

The MHz that you said act as the multiplier.For example 2000 MHz means 10x multiplier .

·
Registered
944 Posts
In your case you are using a 286 FSB X 14 multi = 4004Mhz CPU
The NB frequency and HT L frequency are all mutiplied by the 286. So if you are still using the 286 FSB/Ref Clock then it will be 286X10=??
It's up to you to plug in the correct number, for your HT L frequency try out 2002Mhz or 7Xmulti...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

The MHz that you said act as the multiplier.For example 2000 MHz means 10x multiplier .
So is 2200Mhz good? sigh still confused, so if I put it at 2200mhz, voltage would be for HT and NB 1.3v?

could you give me some examples

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

So is 2200Mhz good? sigh still confused, so if I put it at 2200mhz, voltage would be for HT and NB 1.3v?

could you give me some examples
Well for obtaining maximum performance you should oc all available clocks.As i told you before HT and NB effect performance too.So you have to os them as well.At the Processor NB Voltage section in your bios there are 4 available options:
Auto
+50 mv
+100 mv
+150 mv

Try them all and after setting the voltage run prime 95 for 1 hour.But first lower the cpu multi so you can be sure that instability isnt from your cpu.If you see instability before 1 hour then go back to the bios and increase the voltage.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanicy View Post
In your case you are using a 286 FSB X 14 multi = 4004Mhz CPU
The NB frequency and HT L frequency are all mutiplied by the 286. So if you are still using the 286 FSB/Ref Clock then it will be 286X10=??
It's up to you to plug in the correct number, for your HT L frequency try out 2002Mhz or 7Xmulti...
What you mean by saying the correct number?
The stable value is correct.Look at these pixes.As you see both NB and HT setted to 2680(268x10)and its 100 percent stable and i have no problem to set it to 2700(270x10)my memory already reached to its maximum and i cant push motherboard further.

LL
LL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so wait, if my HT and NB link has to be 286x10= 2860mhz, what would the voltage be for both?

I'm for asking this, just a complete noob and need some advice with this

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Quote:

so wait, if my HT and NB link has to be 286x10= 2860mhz, what would the voltage be for both?

I'm for asking this, just a complete noob and need some advice with this
HT Link has to be around 2000, NB(CPU/NB actually) Freq. can be 2860
HT Link Volt - AUTO
CPU/NB Volt - 1.30-1.40V

1 - 20 of 100 Posts