Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I bought a New case (CM Storm Trooper) moved all of my hardware into it and excitedly hit the power button... nothing. thinking it was just a loose cord or something minor I completely rebuilt my system.. same problem. after troubleshooting for about a week so far all i know is the bios fails everytime I try to boot. the fans start to spin for a milisecond my motherboard lights flash once indicating failed bios, and the power button on my motherboard stays lit. I have reset the cmos trying anything and everything at this point im stumped. and sad because diablo 3 comes out in less that 48 hours
frown.gif
btw my motherboard is a MSI Z68A-GD80 (g3) everything else should be in my sig rig

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Sounds like your motherboard just kicked the bucket, possibly during the transition of your cases. I'd maybe go as far to say your motherboard suffered ESD damage from not being properly grounded, it's very rare, but it does happen. I'd recommend contacting MSI and see if they accept an RMA.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Ive been hoping I wouldnt have to RMA it. just got it a month ago, but again nothing seems to work. thanks for your input.

if it was in fact ESD any recommendations to keep that from ever happening again? Ive replaced and installed many motherboards before and never had anything short.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Like I said, it's very rare for that to happen. But the best thing is to just do your best to keep yourself grounded whilst dealing with hardware. A good investment is an anti-static wristband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafety58 View Post

It could be that you have a motherboard standoff placed in the wrong spot, and its sorting the board out.
Also to test if your motherboard did kick the bucket, take it out of your case and install it on top of the motherboard box, or any other non conductive surface.
Good advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts