Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im new on this forum and im from iceland so if i write bad english im sorry

I want to oc my cpu

my system:

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum (NForce 3 ultra chipset)
AMD64 3500+ s939
GeForce NX6600GT
Corsair XMS 512 3500ddr
360w powersupply

AMD64 3500+ is 2.2 Ghz and i would like to get mine up to 2.4-2.5 Ghz if thats possible ... :shades2:

im a newbie in overclocking, so any help would be very helpfull

thx

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Basically to overclock you want to up your fsb. The way you go about doing this is through your bios. The more you up it the faster shes gonna go. You really wanna watch your temps when your doing this though. Dont let your load temp get over 60 celcius.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo420

Basically to overclock you want to up your fsb. The way you go about doing this is through your bios. The more you up it the faster shes gonna go. You really wanna watch your temps when your doing this though. Dont let your load temp get over 60 celcius.

idle or in action ?

Someone told me to lower the HTT down to 4 and get the fsb up ...

is it simple as that or is it more to it ?

and when i was doing this i should set the mhz on the memory down to 100mhz and when i knew how high i could boost my cpu then i should put it back to 200mhz ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuGGz

idle or in action ?

Someone told me to lower the HTT down to 4 and get the fsb up ...

is it simple as that or is it more to it ?

and when i was doing this i should set the mhz on the memory down to 100mhz and when i knew how high i could boost my cpu then i should put it back to 200mhz ?

I have the same memory you have and its causing me a lot of problems with overclocking. I also have the same motherboard you have...except my processor is amd 3400+ With our processor, we cannot put memory voltage above 2.85V. And corsair xms is pretty bad at handling fsb over 210 with 11 mutli even with 2.85v. Thats why im selling my corsair right now and getting a OCZ memory and getting a thermaltake volcano 12 for better cooling. That should get my proc to a 3600+

·
Registered
148 Posts
there a couple things u should know about this MB before u start ocing since it can be quite picky.
put your memory in slots 1 & 2 the two closest to the cpu,(dont let the color coding fool u. u will put it in 1 green and 1 purple slot) this will give u dual channel and the most stable proformence. if u have an sata hd use only the ports just over the agp slot as these are the only ones with speed locks, if u have ide dont worry about it they are locked with the pci bus. i would suggest getting a moded bios so u can see all the hidden options, i use 1.41mod. in the cell menu in the bios make sure u have cool and quite off, disable agressive timings, manually overclock and dont use the dynamic ocing thing. if your memory isnt so hot try a mem divider till u get new mem. change the ht multiplier to 4 for an htt of 201-250 and 3 for 250 and up.(u basically wanna keep the total htt at or below 1000mhz) with a 3500 this thing is gonna fly. u should be able to hit a 250 htt easily.

any other questions just ask

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipmonk010

there a couple things u should know about this MB before u start ocing since it can be quite picky.
put your memory in slots 1 & 2 the two closest to the cpu,(dont let the color coding fool u. u will put it in 1 green and 1 purple slot) this will give u dual channel and the most stable proformence. if u have an sata hd use only the ports just over the agp slot as these are the only ones with speed locks, if u have ide dont worry about it they are locked with the pci bus. i would suggest getting a moded bios so u can see all the hidden options, i use 1.41mod. in the cell menu in the bios make sure u have cool and quite off, disable agressive timings, manually overclock and dont use the dynamic ocing thing. if your memory isnt so hot try a mem divider till u get new mem. change the ht multiplier to 4 for an htt of 201-250 and 3 for 250 and up.(u basically wanna keep the total htt at or below 1000mhz) with a 3500 this thing is gonna fly. u should be able to hit a 250 htt easily.

Write that into a guide!! Great post chip!!

1. AWESOME post..
2. I think you just confused the out :turd: of him!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
lol sry if i was confusing...Thanks alot X i ve been planing on writing a guide but havent had a chance yet, i got some time this afternoon so maybe i can do it then.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vik_dude911

I have the same memory you have and its causing me a lot of problems with overclocking. I also have the same motherboard you have...except my processor is amd 3400+ With our processor, we cannot put memory voltage above 2.85V. And corsair xms is pretty bad at handling fsb over 210 with 11 mutli even with 2.85v. Thats why im selling my corsair right now and getting a OCZ memory and getting a thermaltake volcano 12 for better cooling. That should get my proc to a 3600+

Corsair XMS ESPECIALLY is picky about latencies when passing its rated speeds...in order to make it run properly, you will need to relax (raise) the timings. And its not just the corsair, the nforce boards have proven to be picky about overclocking ANY low latency ram...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

nice one

At this time i only have one memory chip but i will get another later this month.

thx about the tip on the sata, im using the other ports so i think i´ll move them. Its okey right ? i wont loose any data by switching ports am I ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

i would suggest getting a moded bios so u can see all the hidden options, i use 1.41mod.

how do i do this ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:

nice one

At this time i only have one memory chip but i will get another later this month.

thx about the tip on the sata, im using the other ports so i think i´ll move them. Its okey right ? i wont loose any data by switching ports am I ?

nope once a raid array is setup its writen to the MBR and the bios just detects the array and boots from it(as long as raid is enabled for the ports that the drives are plugged into in the bios)

i just finished a guide(my first guide
) on this MB lots more tips check it out

for the bios theres a link in the guide^ u need the bios binary(1.41mod or whatever) file and the flasher(right side of the page) u can boot from a floppy, make a bootable cd(if u have nero) or boot off a usb thumb drive like it do. copy the fasher and the *.bin file to whatever media u choose boot from it , open the flasher and enter the name of the *.bin file and flash!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

nope once a raid array is setup its writen to the MBR and the bios just detects the array and boots from it(as long as raid is enabled for the ports that the drives are plugged into in the bios)

i just finished a guide(my first guide
) on this MB lots more tips check it out

for the bios theres a link in the guide^ u need the bios binary(1.41mod or whatever) file and the flasher(right side of the page) u can boot from a floppy, make a bootable cd(if u have nero) or boot off a usb thumb drive like it do. copy the fasher and the *.bin file to whatever media u choose boot from it , open the flasher and enter the name of the *.bin file and flash!

dude, your a genius, very nice guide, im gona enjoy my self this weekend oc

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

dude, your a genius, very nice guide, im gona enjoy my self this weekend oc

well

i used Chipmonk010 guide on the MB and started oc. btw very nice guide

my fsb is now in 215 so im running my amd64 3500 2.2Ghz @ 2.37Ghz

the cpu is runing 37-38°c idle and up to 50°c most in action

now i want to ask you, how high can i go ? is the tempeture coming dangerous ?

im thinking of geting new cpu cooling but not sure what to buy....

but one question about the guide ...

you say here in your guide

" enter the memory config sub menu and set your ram for its stock timings instead of auto and make sure the command rate is set to 1T for best profomence. This is also a good time to set your mem divider(mem speed). This menu can be confusing but basically a speed of 200 = 1:1 ratio, 166=5:6, 133=3:2, 100=2:1."

i putted the ram to 200mhz and set the command rate to 1T.

but its the bold text i dont realy get, where do i change this ? i didnt find the settings for this

thx

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:

well

i used Chipmonk010 guide on the MB and started oc. btw very nice guide

my fsb is now in 215 so im running my amd64 3500 2.2Ghz @ 2.37Ghz

the cpu is runing 37-38°c idle and up to 50°c most in action

now i want to ask you, how high can i go ? is the tempeture coming dangerous ?

im thinking of geting new cpu cooling but not sure what to buy....

but one question about the guide ...

you say here in your guide

" enter the memory config sub menu and set your ram for its stock timings instead of auto and make sure the command rate is set to 1T for best profomence. This is also a good time to set your mem divider(mem speed). This menu can be confusing but basically a speed of 200 = 1:1 ratio, 166=5:6, 133=3:2, 100=2:1."

i putted the ram to 200mhz and set the command rate to 1T.

but its the bold text i dont realy get, where do i change this ? i didnt find the settings for this

thx

when u set the memory to 200mhz it actually sets the ram to a 1:1 ratio. so if ur htt is 215 your mem is also 215, this hold true for the other settings . if u set the ram to 166 and your htt is 215 your ram will actually run at 178mhz becuase its a ratio not a lock.

lol tell me if thats confusing

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

when u set the memory to 200mhz it actually sets the ram to a 1:1 ratio. so if ur htt is 215 your mem is also 215, this hold true for the other settings . if u set the ram to 166 and your htt is 215 your ram will actually run at 178mhz becuase its a ratio not a lock.

lol tell me if thats confusing

ahh oki, dumb me :S

should i keep the memory like this ? i mean in 200(215) ? or should i put it to 166(178) ?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

ahh oki, dumb me :S

should i keep the memory like this ? i mean in 200(215) ? or should i put it to 166(178) ?

Yes, you want to keep a 1:1 ratio, which means your HTT running at the same speed of memory for optimal performance.

When you run them at different speeds (with dividers) you benefit very little if at all from the extra HTT speed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Yes, you want to keep a 1:1 ratio, which means your HTT running at the same speed of memory for optimal performance.

When you run them at different speeds (with dividers) you benefit very little if at all from the extra HTT speed.

ok

isn´t any chance of frying my memory or ?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

ok

isn´t any chance of frying my memory or ?

No, only chance you have of frying the memory is when you raise the voltage too high. When you raise the speed and it cant handle it anymore all the computer will do is crash and you'll just have to go back and lower it (no damage done)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts