Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you for visiting my thread!

I'm looking for someone with OC experience, preferably on this mobo, to help me with finding the maximum stable OC for this hardware combination.

I do know this is a crippled mobo, due to the P41 chipset. The absolutely easiest solution would be to buy a new one, but that's not an option atm, so please work with me on this one.

I've been reading a bit, and I've stumbled over some info/posts
:

- Possibly a mobo FBS wall at 342 (340 stable), however someone claims to have managed 356 + 105 PCI-E OC. I've not even managed to have it run stable at 340 (BSOD). Might be some of my bios settings..

- Q9400 can't run on +0.5x cpu multiplier, so the default 8x multiplier is max.

- Im also looking to OC the ram, but the 800 MHz mobo limitaion might be a problem. Anyone have experience here?

All assistance is welcome. I'd love to paste my full BIOS settings here. But, how do I save the CMOS information to a txt file?

Kind thanks in advanced!

Mobo: GA-EP41-UD3L (rev. 1.0) (Sux)
CPU: INTEL Q9400 2.66G 6MB 1333MHZ C2 QUAD PROCESSOR (BX80580Q9400)
PSU: Corsair TX 750 W
VGA: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2

Memory: Kingston DDR2 HyperX PC8500 4GB (KITx2) 1066 MHz
Downclocked to 800MHz due to mobo limitation.
Manual Timing: 5-5-5-15 (rest auto)
All Voltage: Auto
BIOS (v. F6): C1E, C2E, EIST - Disabled

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
buy a new mobo otherwise it´s almost useless starting to OC it..
with a good cooler/vid you can hit 4ghz, but i think 3.5 - 3.7 ghz should be enough for your vga adapter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Q9400 won't have any problem with 400 FSB, but Im starting to become quite sure that this particular mobo have a wall at 340. Hell, I can't even make it run stable at 340..

To clearify: It won't boot on 342 FSB. HOWEVER, it will boot on 356 + 105 PCI-E OC, but the startup of windows, crashes the machine alone. Might be ram related..hmm..

Was however able to tight my RAM timing to 4-4-4-12. (800MHz)

I do have a theory, which is based upon the mobos maximum ram frequency. I think the reason why I can't get it to run stable at FSB 340, is because the RAM increases to 816 MHz. And that's above the 800MHz limit, which result it BSOD with different memory related problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts