·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated, Please read bellow the quotes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by )v(aster View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am new to overclocking my CPU and would greatly appreciate anyone willing to post some basics on how to get my CPU OC'ed to 3.2-3.6ghz while keeping the ram @ its current settings. My ram and GPU OC'ing is where I would like it. On a side note I was able to follow some guide I saw online to get my i7920 up to 4ghz by upping the BCLK to about 200 and had decent temps but I dont want to push it that far.

I tried a BCLK of 160 and was unable to just set the ram at 1600mhz through the DRAM frequency in the bios (freeze up, restarted and POST stated OC failed). It worked if I used the DRAM frequency below that but I would like it at 1600mhz, is that possible? If so please help me learn the ways oh wise ones!

I have my rig stats listed in my account and have listed a screen shot below with the details I thought would be helpful. Please let me know if there is anymore information I need to provide.

Thank you very much ahead of time!

IMG Was here, new settings bellow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
Might help you out
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...7-920-4-a.html

O/C your cpu(stable) then worry about ram and gpu

Please help with the following!

Ok I have read the link above and god knows how many other guides over the last 5 days. I believe I have a stable OC now.

Listed below is my current stable OC settings, Ive ran prime95 twice with small fft, the first time for 3 hours, the second for 8 hours. I really need help with the following please and would love to read input from anyone that would like to take the time to do so.

1. Is it safe to run with my current settings 24/7? Any settings that you can see below that I should tweak or change, anything I should enable or disable, voltages I should change?

I would greatly appreciate if someone can confirm if I did or did not set anything wrong or if I should turn any voltages down, I dont want this blowing up on me lol. Please also explain the benifit of any changes you suggest so I can learn a little

2. Can I enable Speedstep now? If so do I need to change voltages/settings to do so?

What are the Pros/Cons to enabling Speedstep or when OCed?

3. Now that I have a stable clock, is the only way to get my ram to 1600mhz by increasing the bclk to 200?

I have attempted to get my ram to 1600mhz by setting my bclk to 200 but I think mostly due to my inexperience I was unable to find the right setings to get the higher OC stable.

4. What should I tweak (voltages, settings, etc) to try and get a stable bclk of 200?

At one point in the proccess of trying to get a stable BCLK of 200 my CPU Volt was at 1.3+ with a QPI volt of 1.35 and I was still getting BSOD after a few minutes of prim95 small fft. I decided to seek further assistance at this point as I was afraid of going with higher numbers without guidance.

My most recent unstable OC settings
BCLK=200
CPU Volt=1.3
QPI Volt=1.35
Everything else the same as bellow.
Still getting BSOD after a few minutes of prim95 small fft.

My current stable OC settings

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451
View Post

Might help you out
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...7-920-4-a.html

O/C your cpu(stable) then worry about ram and gpu

Thank you for the link, I have achieved a stable OC and updated my post with my current need of guidance.

·
Registered
232 Posts
ok here are some easy settings to get 4Ghz and 1600Mhz for the ram

set Vdimm at 1,65V (ram voltage)
set QPI at 1,2V (mine is at 1,16V so its safe to lower it when you reach stability)
IOH at 1,12V
enable Load-Line Calibration (depending on motherboard it could be "Without VDroop")

there are 2 settings for the Vcore:
1) Hyper-Threading disabled : Vcore 1,25V <-- my setting (1,23V in windows)

2)With HT: you will need higher Vcore; start at 1,3V and lower it if stable, else set it higher untill its stable

also verify your ram timings (or set XMP profile) if you dont have an XMP profile, timings are usually written on RAM modules (eg.: 8-8-8-24)

edit: i've read your last post...
so you have my settings...

you already have Turbo mode enabled because your multiplier is 21x (21*191 = 4011Mhz)

to set your ram @ 1600: change your memory multiplier to 8 -> (8*191 = 1528Mhz)
the next setting will be 10*191 = 1910Mhz <- way too high

to reach 1600 Mhz you'll have to OC to 4,2Ghz (21*200) (200*8 = 1600)

72 Mhz isn't a big difference at all but if you want to try to OC higher let me know...

WOW lots of info there! ^^

·
Registered
232 Posts
you're stable @4Ghz with 1,24V and HT on...
nice chip you got there...

i will try that setting tonight

i will edit this post and give you my settings for 4,2Ghz when i get back home

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lome_Wolf236
View Post

you're stable @4Ghz with 1,24V and HT on...
nice chip you got there...

i will try that setting tonight

i will edit this post and give you my settings for 4,2Ghz when i get back home

I look forward to your post and would greatly appreciate answers to my questions from anyone who can help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lome_Wolf236
View Post

ok here are some easy settings to get 4Ghz and 1600Mhz for the ram

set Vdimm at 1,65V (ram voltage)
set QPI at 1,2V (mine is at 1,16V so its safe to lower it when you reach stability)
IOH at 1,12V
enable Load-Line Calibration (depending on motherboard it could be "Without VDroop")

there are 2 settings for the Vcore:
1) Hyper-Threading disabled : Vcore 1,25V <-- my setting (1,23V in windows)

2)With HT: you will need higher Vcore; start at 1,3V and lower it if stable, else set it higher untill its stable

also verify your ram timings (or set XMP profile) if you dont have an XMP profile, timings are usually written on RAM modules (eg.: 8-8-8-24)

edit: i've read your last post...
so you have my settings...

you already have Turbo mode enabled because your multiplier is 21x (21*191 = 4011Mhz)

to set your ram @ 1600: change your memory multiplier to 8 -> (8*191 = 1528Mhz)
the next setting will be 10*191 = 1910Mhz <- way too high

to reach 1600 Mhz you'll have to OC to 4,2Ghz (21*200) (200*8 = 1600)

72 Mhz isn't a big difference at all but if you want to try to OC higher let me know...

WOW lots of info there! ^^

I have already tried up to 1.3v for the Vcore and a QPI of 1.35v for a BCLK of 200 with no success.

Quote:

Originally Posted by )v(aster
View Post

At one point in the proccess of trying to get a stable BCLK of 200 my CPU Volt was at 1.3+ with a QPI volt of 1.35 and I was still getting BSOD after a few minutes of prim95 small fft. I decided to seek further assistance at this point as I was afraid of going with higher numbers without guidance.

My memory timings are input manually to the same settings the XMP profile had for them (is that what you meant by confirm them?). My memory multiplier is also already at x8.

Yes I would love to get to 4.2Ghz w/1600mhz, definatly need direction on how to get there from where I am at now (current settings listed in original post) and confirmation to the questions I had above please.

Thank you for your responses thus far!

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Having same issue.

195x21 is stable. 200x21 is not, even with increased voltages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

Having same issue.

195x21 is stable. 200x21 is not, even with increased voltages.

I am glad you are getting closer, I feel your pain! I think I had also tried 195 for a quick minute and it seemed to be ok. Something else just poped in mind, Is it safe to run with my current settings 24/7? Should I enable speedstep & would that make it ok to run my current oc of 191x21 24/7?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I really wish I could help, maybe try 200x20 with all suggested settings, and then if its stable then try 200x21?

I managed to do it on my C0 stepping, but my motherboards settings are different to yours.

Maybe start your Vcore at 1.35 and if needed work your way down from there

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow, max 81 on WC on 4ghz? and using prime?

I'm proud of my air cooling then. I get nearly same result (not on 1.25v though) on air.

Hope I be able to get mine stable...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts