Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my previous headphones broke a couple of days ago and still am unsure if I will be able to RMA them. Just in case I have to pay shipping fee etc on them I'd probably just rather buy some new ones under $50. I will use them around 50/50% music, and gaming. Since I play in my room open air shouldn't be a problem, and since I game I probably would get a better performance in gaming with open air since there is an increase in the soundstage from the closed back. I don't need mic since I have a desktop mic and do plan on getting a sound card in future.

Yangas

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Guess it depends on what you prefer. Open headphones tend to have a wider soundstage, better highs, very detailed and not great isolation. Closed tend to have a smaller soundstage, more of a bass impact, great mids and better isolation. Closed headphones bring bass more alive. Some people don't like closed because they don't sound as a large soundstage or detailed as open and some people do not like open because it doesnt provide isolation and the bass is lacking.

Depends on what you like and you music taste.

edit: Some open headphone suggestions.
Sennheiser HD515 $65
Grado SR60i $79
Koss PortaPro $35

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Even though I'm a die hard bass head, I would probably go with the open back cans for you. Taking into account that you play alone in your room, like to play CS(and probably other FPS games), plus KoL (which I love to listen to as well). That second song really was bumping on my DT770 pros, I was really diggin that song, love the bass.

I'd probably go with the HD-515 or if you can stretch it out a bit more, go with the ATH-AD700/HD-555.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
open back under 50?
koss porta pros. for gaming... i'd still say the HA's or try and get the HD-555's used for cheap

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, hmm now caught between the harx700's and the koss porta pros anyone use them both and or knows how well they perform in comparison to each other? I know one is open and other is closed but if the performance isn't that different then it shouldn't be much of a problem. In addition how comfortable are each because from the looks of it those koss ones don't look very comfortable. This is kinda important since I use my headphones for a long time during day.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
the Portapro's are portable designed headphones thus you will need a headphone cord extension.

Anyway:

Is this for portable / home use or both?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts