Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I feel that my BIOS is lacking as I haven't much of an idea on how to set it up properly, and I was hoping someone more experienced with tweaking BIOS and this motherboard in general can help me out here. My Vista Home Premium install seems to take FOREVER to load, and is really laggy once it does boot. I'm hoping with some BIOS tweaks I can decrease my boot time, as well as take some of the lag out of Windows.

I already have the BIOS setup to only boot from the HD, so there is no delay in it trying other devices first, however, my boot times are still astronomical. When my computer first boots there is a long delay between the time the BIOS post ends, and the Windows loading screen appears. Then when the loading screen does come up, it takes 12-15 full sweeps across the little loading bar until the loading screen goes away. Then it'll have another lag before it automatically logs me in to the system. Once the computer is booted up, I still get a lot of lag in the system. Opening menus has a noticable delay, and when I right-click on the desktop there is usually about a 10 second lag while the 'busy' mouse icon appears, before the menu will pop up. Also, popup notifications make the system lag noticeably. I don't have any programs that start up with the system - that includes no Anti-virus software or 3rd party firewalls.

My system:
-MSI K9A2 Platinum V. 1 - Upgraded to newest BIOS for Phenom II support
- Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition. Only overclocked to 3.2Ghz, voltage set to 'Auto' in BIOS, Runs very stable 24/7 @ 100% usage
- 2x1GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 800mhz RAM - I hear this is rated to run between 1.8-2.2v, but when I set it to 2.0v in BIOS, it still doesn't come up as 2.0v in Everest or CPU-z
-Dual 9800GX2's - not running in SLI. Latest GeForce Drivers. Dummy plugs on DVI outputs to make them active for [email protected]
- WD 500GB Cavar Blue - Windows is only thing on disc, but partition only takes up 100GB, rest is unpartitioned
-Nothing else is hooked up to the rig besides a PS/2 keyboard, a USB mouse, LAN ethernet cable, and my monitor

I'm open to any and all suggestions you guys may have! Anything I can disable in the BIOS, or any settings I should keep on... Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

woody

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bios tweaks wont help you. what you need is either a re-install or to use msconfig - starup tab to reduce the number of background applications that load up when you boot. Things like aim, itunes, quicktime, ect. Non essential services that load up when you boot can make boot times extremely slow. The best solution is a re-install, but if that's not an option for you the look through the list and any apps that you recognize that don't need to start when you boot you should disable by unchecking. Do not, I repeat, do not disable any services or apps you do not recognize as these may be essential start up services.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow_419 View Post
Bios tweaks wont help you. what you need is either a re-install or to use msconfig - starup tab to reduce the number of background applications that load up when you boot. Things like aim, itunes, quicktime, ect. Non essential services that load up when you boot can make boot times extremely slow. The best solution is a re-install, but if that's not an option for you the look through the list and any apps that you recognize that don't need to start when you boot you should disable by unchecking. Do not, I repeat, do not disable any services or apps you do not recognize as these may be essential start up services.
That's what I thought at first too. However, it was this slow directly after my last clean install, I don't have anything that starts automatically (not even AV), I keep the computer decluttered and defragmented, and I've tweaked my services with the help of Black Viper, but nothing seems to help in any way. I've run memory tests, HDTune, and anything else I can find, and nothing comes out slower than it should. I'm using all of the latest BIOS and drivers for everything. And the Windows 'Performance' program thing, ranks all the aspects at 5.9, so I'm really confused by this

·
Borking Builds Since 2020
861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by woody86
View Post

That's what I thought at first too. However, it was this slow directly after my last clean install, I don't have anything that starts automatically (not even AV), I keep the computer decluttered and defragmented, and I've tweaked my services with the help of Black Viper, but nothing seems to help in any way. I've run memory tests, HDTune, and anything else I can find, and nothing comes out slower than it should. I'm using all of the latest BIOS and drivers for everything. And the Windows 'Performance' program thing, ranks all the aspects at 5.9, so I'm really confused by this

Have you made sure you have quick boot enabled? Other than that, clearing the CMOS, or reflashing, I've got no other BIOS ideas.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf3574
View Post

Have you made sure you have quick boot enabled? Other than that, clearing the CMOS, or reflashing, I've got no other BIOS ideas.

I do have Quick Boot enabled. I tried it with QB disabled, and it really wasn't that much longer, just displayed some info towards the end of post. I recently had to clear the CMOS, but it didn't help at all. I had to go back in and set the proper timings for my RAM. Speaking of which, if the timings on your RAM are off a little bit, would that make enough of a lag on the system to cause something like this? Even though Vista rates my memory as 5.9?? I did have to upgrade my BIOS when I first got it so it would play nicely with my Phenom II, but everything seemed to go fine, so I'm not sure how much of a chance there is that I messed that up?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I re-flashed the BIOS with the latest version, just to make sure nothing got messed up the first time. Still same issues. Tried it with everything set to default, and then tried it with all my BIOS 'tweaks' and the BIOS boots quicker than default, but Windows still load horribly slow
I'm not understanding what's going on here. Like I said, even with unnecessary services disabled, and no programs starting at boot, it still takes forever. Are there any boot tools I can use to record an entire bootup and see what is taking so much time?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, I just reinstalled all the drivers I could find for the mobo. Would this have an effect on the system if I didn't have them installed from the start? I'm not sure if I did or not, but even after making sure everything is up to date now, the system is still slow. I decided to time the bootup, and from pushing the power button until the desktop appears, it takes 1 minute 25 seconds
The delay between when I right-click on the desktop, and until the menu pops up is ~15 seconds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well yeah, that would make it quicker, but my current HD is rated 5.9 by Vista, and when I ran HDTune on it, it came out pretty quick, so I don't think that's the issue here. My laptop with a 1.7MHz Celeron M, 2GB of RAM, and some crappy 80GB HD feels MUCH quicker than my sig rig.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same slow response/load times with a system:
Phenom 9600
K9A2 Platinum V1
4x1 Corsair XMS2 DDR2
Vista 32bit

I assumed it was related to the TLB patch, which I successfully disabled with the CrystalID override. Certain processes and benchmarks (such as WinRAR test) are now faster, but the system is still infuriatingly slow. If you have the Phenom II 940, this sounds like a motherboard issue.

I have no answers and am just as curious and hopeful as you are.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by woody86 View Post
Ok, well I feel that my BIOS is lacking as I haven't much of an idea on how to set it up properly, and I was hoping someone more experienced with tweaking BIOS and this motherboard in general can help me out here. My Vista Home Premium install seems to take FOREVER to load, and is really laggy once it does boot. I'm hoping with some BIOS tweaks I can decrease my boot time, as well as take some of the lag out of Windows.

I already have the BIOS setup to only boot from the HD, so there is no delay in it trying other devices first, however, my boot times are still astronomical. When my computer first boots there is a long delay between the time the BIOS post ends, and the Windows loading screen appears. Then when the loading screen does come up, it takes 12-15 full sweeps across the little loading bar until the loading screen goes away. Then it'll have another lag before it automatically logs me in to the system. Once the computer is booted up, I still get a lot of lag in the system. Opening menus has a noticable delay, and when I right-click on the desktop there is usually about a 10 second lag while the 'busy' mouse icon appears, before the menu will pop up. Also, popup notifications make the system lag noticeably. I don't have any programs that start up with the system - that includes no Anti-virus software or 3rd party firewalls.

My system:
-MSI K9A2 Platinum V. 1 - Upgraded to newest BIOS for Phenom II support
- Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition. Only overclocked to 3.2Ghz, voltage set to 'Auto' in BIOS, Runs very stable 24/7 @ 100% usage
- 2x1GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 800mhz RAM - I hear this is rated to run between 1.8-2.2v, but when I set it to 2.0v in BIOS, it still doesn't come up as 2.0v in Everest or CPU-z
-Dual 9800GX2's - not running in SLI. Latest GeForce Drivers. Dummy plugs on DVI outputs to make them active for [email protected]
- WD 500GB Cavar Blue - Windows is only thing on disc, but partition only takes up 100GB, rest is unpartitioned
-Nothing else is hooked up to the rig besides a PS/2 keyboard, a USB mouse, LAN ethernet cable, and my monitor

I'm open to any and all suggestions you guys may have! Anything I can disable in the BIOS, or any settings I should keep on... Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

woody
Download microsoft bootvis

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by raven3quill View Post
I am having the same slow response/load times with a system:
Phenom 9600
K9A2 Platinum V1
4x1 Corsair XMS2 DDR2
Vista 32bit

I assumed it was related to the TLB patch, which I successfully disabled with the CrystalID override. Certain processes and benchmarks (such as WinRAR test) are now faster, but the system is still infuriatingly slow. If you have the Phenom II 940, this sounds like a motherboard issue.

I have no answers and am just as curious and hopeful as you are.

Highly doubt its a motherboard issue. May be a hard drive issue. Start with defragging hard drive. That mobo is a good one.

Did you reformat hard drive on installation if it is a new installation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have an identical system. MSI K9a2 platinum with an AMD Phenom II 940. The problem must be the board, with the chip, with the OS. I have been running Vista 64-bit and the computer takes forever to boot. My slower dual-core ASUS boots in about half the time. Some specifics:

Running Vista 64 and now Windows 7 64 (both slow to boot)
Raid on promise controller
4 GB Ram at 1067 Mhz (full speed)
NVIDIA 8800 GS video card.
Latest version 1.8 bios for this board (MS-7376 ver 1)

Something is just not right.

Very slooooow to boot

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by autobahnscott View Post
Hi,

I have an identical system. MSI K9a2 platinum with an AMD Phenom II 940. The problem must be the board, with the chip, with the OS. I have been running Vista 64-bit and the computer takes forever to boot. My slower dual-core ASUS boots in about half the time. Some specifics:

Running Vista 64 and now Windows 7 64 (both slow to boot)
Raid on promise controller
4 GB Ram at 1067 Mhz (full speed)
NVIDIA 8800 GS video card.
Latest version 1.8 bios for this board (MS-7376 ver 1)

Something is just not right.

Very slooooow to boot
Is your RAM stable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes,

System is 100% stable even though the AMD 940 is overclocked via multiplier to 3.5 Ghz.

From what I can tell the problem with this board may have to do with one of the two SATA chipsets. As an example: last weekend I did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. Using my existing hardware configuration which included a nymber of SATA hard drives including two hooked up to the onboard Promise controller in a RAID 1 (redundant) configuration Windows 7 setup would start to load but freeze right before the colored microsoft starburst. After some trouble shooting I found the only way to install Windows 7 and get setup to run was to disconnect the two RAID drives from the Promise controller. Installed Windows 7 and any necessary drivers hooked up the RAID drives again and everything was fine. Except for the slooooooow boot. This may be a coincidence but the slow boot is the computer hanging on the colored starburt part for about 30 seconds and then continuing. I'm guessing but I think it has something to do with the SATA controllers. If it wasn't so hard to dislodge my computer from it's place in my desk I would run some tests with and without each of the SATA controller enabled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.