Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dances with a Screwdriver
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday I found at Goodwill this tablet and keyboard set for only $6. It was buried among keyboard docks, BT keyboard, and even a few old Palm folding keyboard. I bought it but never found the AC adapter for it so I bought one online.

I got the adapter today and plugged it in. It does boot and seems to be working but the previous user didn't remove password or reset the device, some features are locked so I can't use it much as it is. My first plan was to make a recovery drive, then use that to wipe and reinstall OS. But creating recovery drive option is also locked behind password. I don't want to pay for old Windows 8 from Acer just to reformat and reinstall.

So any idea or suggestion if alternate OS can be used? 2GB RAM, 32GB fixed storage, 32-bits only CPU, and no idea if Acer used proprietary hardware inside that may make finding correct driver a pain in the butt. Or is there a way to exorcise password (and remove old user info) so I could reset it to factory default then make recovery drive?

Quad core Atom may not have much power but it'd be good for on the run internet when space is at premium compared to my larger laptop.

·
Overclocker in training
13,929 Posts
Hi,
Install Linux via usb installer Zorin or mint mate.

·
Dances with a Screwdriver
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try Zorin first, never tried that before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts