4323 11
Hi,
I just recently built a computer with the following specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice (2.0 GHz)
ASROCK 939Dual
Sapphire Radeon X550
(2x512) 1GB Corsair Value Ram CL3
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

Last night, I overclocked it to 2.21 GHz with FSB set at 220MHz and multipler 10. I did not change any RAM settings. It was kept at DDR400.
Everything seemed to be running OK until I started copying a DVD on my DVD burner. My computer reset in between. It happened twice. I monitored my CPU's temperature just before it reset and it was 39 C.

Now the important thing is that I have a 380W power supply. Is this too low? Is that why it reset? My max voltage I can give to the CPU with this motherboard is 1.45V.

Can someone please help me with this? I would like to have my CPU running at 2.4 GHz. What settings should I use?

Thanks!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
That's the thing, you ram WASN'T running at 400DDR it was running at 440DDR after you upped the HT by 20.

Go into your bios and clock down your ram with the divider so it actually runs at 366mhz or even 333mhz before the overclock.

After lower the ran speed and bringing the HT up, your processor will increase in speed and your ram will increase as well, but since it started out at 366mhz or 333mhz, after the overclock it will put it back to he stable 400mhz range.

· Registered
221 Posts
See if you can push your HTT further so you end up with a 2.5ghz CPU overclock and that would put your ram around 215mhz.

IF it doesn't, bring you HT multi down to 3x and if that doesn't work, loosen up the timings slightly on your ram. (Maybe 2.5-4-4-8, or 3-3-3-8)

That would give you an extra kick in the pants.

IF you want to take all of this to the next level download superpi and/or use a benchmark that comes with one of your games and note the differences before and after making OC changes.

IF you bored you can even document your settings now and put things back to stock run the benchmarks, document the numbers and then apply your OC again and run the benchmarks again to note the differences.

Using this method I was able to find the sweet spot of my setup cause just because any one number is higher doesn't always mean it's "faster".

· Registered
221 Posts
About the PSU, you should be OK with that as long as you don't go adding in a new videocard like a 7800GT+, x1800xt+ and some more HDD or CDroms.

The quality of the wattage plays a big part.

For example, my 380 TPII Antec PSU is probably just as powerful as a 400w-430w PSU from a less quality brand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.