Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an attempt to overclock my pc which is in my sig.
I managed to get it to post then able a split second after i see starting windows screen it resets.

Here are some images of the settings currently in my bios.

Thanks for anyone that can help me get through this
smile.gif
thumb.gif

http://imgur.com/a/z5H7X#0

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
Try nudging up the vCore voltage and see if that gets you into windows

·
Registered
875 Posts
jesus, x36 for qpi? that's crazy, drop it down to 18 or 20, or just leave it auto, but not x36!

for 180x21 speed, 1.375 vcore is quite high already...

what are your temps (idle and load) when the chip runs at stock settings?

also, what rams do you have?

i'd leave ioh on auto for now as well, you can set it manually later on, right now you need to get a decent vcore first, leave manually setting/fine tuning the rest for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVENDIZ View Post

Just put vcore up to 1.46250V and still couldn't get into windows. Should i go higher ?
redface.gif
NO

·
Premium Member
20,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik257 View Post

jesus, x36 for qpi? that's crazy, drop it down to 18 or 20, or just leave it auto, but not x36!
for 180x21 speed, 1.375 vcore is quite high already...
what are your temps (idle and load) when the chip runs at stock settings?
also, what rams do you have?
i'd leave ioh on auto for now as well, you can set it manually later on, right now you need to get a decent vcore first, leave manually setting/fine tuning the rest for later.
NO
^this.

1. your dram voltage is the one low. use 1.63 - 1.65v. if there is vdroop adjustment under dram set it at NO Vdroop. Everything else under RAM should be set at auto for now.

2. Disable CPU Multi-Threading and C1E.

3. I agree with erik. Vcore is high.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I'm in windows with the overclock, can't remember settings will have to go check them but its 3.78GHz

Running at 55 Celsius

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
21x Clock Ratio
180 x 21
Multi Threading off
C1E off
Vcore - 1.37500V

Any tips ? I'm currently running the computer like this
smile.gif

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:

currently i get about 35/40 on stock
Will do as you said but i think x36 is lowest setting ?
x36 is the lowest....hmm, interesting

my qpi link is currently on auto at 3.2ghz, my cpu is at stock right now (long story), so if my maths is correct, 3.2ghz / 133mhz give me a qpi multi of x24 (rounded to closest integer). to be honest i never messed about with qpi link speed that much, but don't think i saw it go much above 4ghz ever, and yours' at well over 6ghz.

i dunno, it just sounds too much...others please correct me if i'm talking nonsense
tongue.gif

Quote:

Okay I'm in windows with the overclock, can't remember settings will have to go check them but its 3.78GHz
Running at 55 Celsius
so you've gone into windows with qpi multi set to auto?

55'c idle with an h100, very high i must say, even with vcore at 1.375. do you know what kind of temperature your cpu idles at when it's completely at stock? it's quite possible that you didn't mount your cooler properly or thermal paste application went wrong.
Quote:

21x Clock Ratio
180 x 21
Multi Threading off
C1E off
Vcore - 1.37500V
Any tips ? I'm currently running the computer like this
smile.gif
i'd turn turbo mode off too, just to get that extra bit of stability when overclocking your cpu

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik257 View Post

x36 is the lowest....hmm, interesting
my qpi link is currently on auto at 3.2ghz, my cpu is at stock right now (long story), so if my maths is correct, 3.2ghz / 133mhz give me a qpi multi of x24 (rounded to closest integer). to be honest i never messed about with qpi link speed that much, but don't think i saw it go much above 4ghz ever, and yours' at well over 6ghz.
i dunno, it just sounds too much...others please correct me if i'm talking nonsense
tongue.gif

so you've gone into windows with qpi multi set to auto?
55'c idle with an h100, very high i must say, even with vcore at 1.375. do you know what kind of temperature your cpu idles at when it's completely at stock? it's quite possible that you didn't mount your cooler properly or thermal paste application went wrong.
i'd turn turbo mode off too, just to get that extra bit of stability when overclocking your cpu
I'm idling at 42 at the moment. Ran prime95 for a minute and it went to about 64.

qpi multi is set to auto and i think turbo mode is off
smile.gif

Any tips ?

·
Premium Member
20,362 Posts
Also try lowering your vcore up until it bsod. I remember my 950 goes to 4GHz with the vcore at auto and shows 1.188V in cpuz.

So, try that, too - set the CPU VCORE to AUTO see if it boots.

If it does, see what it ends up being the value using cpuz or hw monitor.

·
Premium Member
8,235 Posts
Quote:

Just booted with 1.360V (auto)
And lowered the memory multi
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
just for a ref
I run my i7 920 with 1.38v to get it stable at 4.2ghz
Now thats 1.38v read from cpu-z, bios is higher like 1.43v or something
Thats also with the base clock at 200 and multi at 21
If you can, try that combo and see if you can boot into windows
Now running at that speed you memory should run 1200
And if you have the corsair XMS3 1333 ram like me then your ram should be able to do 8-8-8-22 just fine at 1.56v

Edit: Also make sure your running your multi as 21x not 22x as i know with some bios options enabled you can unlock a extra multi. Thats how I got 21x on mine
21x multi is known to be vary stable so I would try that first. If you can get it to work with that, try for the 22x multi and get a 4.4ghz overclock
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:

I'm idling at 42 at the moment. Ran prime95 for a minute and it went to about 64.
smile.gif

Any tips ?
i'd stress test using ibt for quick stability check on cpu overclock. run a quick test (open and run) and report back temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

if you ram is only 1333 then you need to drop your memory multi.
which means you will be running your rams at pretty low frequency
frown.gif
but you don't really have a choice with the dram strapping being even numbers only...of course you can overclock your ram later on, but do that after you've found a decent vcore first. as for now, lower your dram to around 1080mhz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Also try lowering your vcore up until it bsod. I remember my 950 goes to 4GHz with the vcore at auto and shows 1.188V in cpuz.
So, try that, too - set the CPU VCORE to AUTO see if it boots.
If it does, see what it ends up being the value using cpuz or hw monitor.
i think when i set my vcore to auto when my 950 was overclocked, the auto setting set voltage quite high, but i could be wrong, it's been a while since i messed with my overclock profiles. but for sure you can drop your vcore significantly, i'd say with ht turned off, you could start with 1.25v and work your way down. you may or may not be able to get it down to as low as 1.188, but anything between 1.2-1.25 should be an ok voltage for your overclock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As informative as that sounds, i didn't understand any of it but I'm wishing to run at about 3.8 which i wouldn't have to change much to do.

In simple words is there anything else i will have to do once i get 3.8ghz ?

·
Premium Member
20,362 Posts
Quote:

As informative as that sounds, i didn't understand any of it but I'm wishing to run at about 3.8 which i wouldn't have to change much to do.
In simple words is there anything else i will have to do once i get 3.8ghz ?
Yes, shoot for 4.0.
smile.gif

Dzilla is correct bios may show a different value. check your vcore inside bios.

here is a file I keep just in case I get around another i7 first gen.

·
Premium Member
8,235 Posts
Quote:

smile.gif

Any tips ?
bump your blck to 200
bump your cpu vcore to 4.25 then go up or down from here if needed
IOH voltage to 1.325
I also keep my QPI at max which at 200 blck should be 7.2GT/s

You H100 can take this easily and while burn testing It should stay under 84c, but to note while playing games it will probably stick around 60c what is fine no worries.

Have fun
biggrin.gif

edit: also any speed spectrum settings should be disabled

1 - 20 of 32 Posts