1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Router: http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?...GB%2FDLWrapper

My dad turns off the internet at night for the following reasons:
  1. The router gets quite hot to the touch (guessing around 50c as it's similar to my hard drive temps in my laptop). Which makes the "Internet status" light sometimes change to red from green meaning the router is not allowing internet access. This is easily fixed by turning off the router for around 15 minutes to cool down.
  2. He doesn't want anyone being able to hack into our wireless network and using it while we're asleep. However, we use MAC filtering and have a WAP key.
  3. He doesn't want to waste electricity as he doesn't want to waste money.
Are there any solutions/facts I can say to my Dad to get him to leave the router on 24/7 to help me complete my torrents overnight.

I'd guess we need a new router but we may change ISP soon and I think we get a free N router, so.

Thanks for any help!
Daney

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good luck, my dad is like that about my 360. Because on the power pack there is an orange light when the 360 is off. "It will start a fire, unplug it" Basically if he only knew about a router

·
Registered
368 Posts
For the heat issue, in the same location you're really going to need to do some modding to cool it better (additional heatsinks, fans, etc.)

2. If you're going to mod it, put some better firmware on it which if dd-wrt supports your router, it should have options to disable wireless on certain hours or something.

edit: doesn't look like dd-wrt supports that model. He could manually disable the wireless every night, or give you the password to the router to do it.

3. Electricity is negligible with this units, it draws like 12V DC with 1Amp, so after inefficiencies you're looking at like a 18Watt power draw, which is a 4th of leaving a normal light bulb on over night. Or the equivalent of leaving the air on for like 15-30 minutes

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Routers such as the one you linked do not consume much power at all, so that point is defeated. As for it overheating, this shouldn't be a problem therefore that would lead me to believe that your router may be faulty. You could also have a small fan blowing on it to cool it off. As for people hacking your wireless, yes, it is possible, but not likely. Out of the several years I've had wireless I've never had an intruder before. Just be sure to use a WPA key and use mac address filtering. That's about all you can do to protect against intrusion.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If there's something you really want, just wait until hes in bed, turn it on, then set ur alarm early and turn it off... Ofcourse this isn't a permanent solution but works fine

Also, i'm using a ''stock'' router from BT, has 2 computers connected via ethernet, then 2 computers and 2 laptops connected via wireless.. Works absolutely fine..

·
Registered
819 Posts
If it gets hot to the touch, something might be wrong with it. Plus, with it being hot to the touch, it is wasting electricity. Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this, but with dd-wrt you can put wireless access on a timer. You fill in times of day that you want the wireless to be enabled.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elementskater706
View Post

Routers such as the one you linked do not consume much power at all, so that point is defeated. As for it overheating, this shouldn't be a problem therefore that would lead me to believe that your router may be faulty. You could also have a small fan blowing on it to cool it off. As for people hacking your wireless, yes, it is possible, but not likely. Out of the several years I've had wireless I've never had an intruder before. Just be sure to use a WPA key and use mac address filtering. That's about all you can do to protect against intrusion.

You can also hide the SSID which is a simple extra level of security

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daney
View Post

Added slightly more information to the first post (2nd bullet).

Anyone know if the "stock" routers that come with broadband providers such as www.o2.co.uk are any good?

They are probably not any good, but don't take my word for it since I've never used one.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hiding the SSID and MAC filtering won't keep hackers out. It will keep the cheap neighbors out but it is easy to grab a MAC off of an approved device and mask your real one. Can't post the article because it is against the TOS. But here is what they had posted on the subject:

Quote:

Not broadcasting your SSID is like taking the numbers off of your house - The house is still there and everyone can see it, it's just a bit harder to find for people that don't know what they are looking for already. Filtering by MAC address is like having a guard at the door that checks everyone's name against a list to see if they can enter. The only problem is, he doesn't ask for ID or remember what people look like, so anybody can and can listen in to see what names are allowed and then claim to be anybody else.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If it's getting that hot it could be faulty, my dad has to leave mine on =) Hs server needs to always be on!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPSwaynos
View Post

You can also hide the SSID which is a simple extra level of security

Good point! I forgot about that one.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Stock routers that come with broadband providers are a bad idea. Some may lease them to you for a couple of bucks a month, so over the course of a year at $5 a month you have paid them $60 to use a router you could of bought for $50. Some companies just charge them to you, not always cheaper than store bought ones. They are usually the cheapest model you can buy. And the big reason they are bad. They are used! When someone cancels their service or changes thier equipment, the router gets put back into stock. Then the stock gets delivered to your door. So whatever abuse they put it through, it's yours now.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, seems that "stock" routers are a no-go.

What router can you recommend which is fast, wireless and can have around 3 LAN sockets? Preferably around £85 to swing Dad round

·
Registered
387 Posts
By the way the router that comes with the o2 package is terrible. Although I guess its ok if you never change settings. If you do though its an absolute nightmare. I recommend going 3rd party regardless of your isp.

EDIT: You only really need a n router if you actually have anything that can use it. I suppose you would be futureproofed with an n router though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.