Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to start putting a Water cooling System together in a NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK cases and planning on using a 280 Radiator. Ok now for me question on some fans.
What are some good 140mm fans for a radiator?

·
New to Overclock.net
1,327 Posts
im using bitfenix spectre pro 140s on my 420 rad. They have high cfm and low rpm. Ive been looking into the aerocool shark black 140s though. I have the shark black 120s on my 240 rad and they push some serious air.

wish they made the GT AP-15 in 140mm...

but yeah take a look at both of the 140s i mentioned, theyre in stock at frozencpu.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well it depends on what thickness the radiator is, as there is more to fans than CFM, as they can blow a lot of air, but not through a radiator. I've got a koolance 280 radiator mounted horisontally with Zalman z4/F4 (with the annoying 120mm fan mounts) that works well only because i can attach the fans to my case, and the case to my radiator. Other high static pressure fans that are good at pushing are are the scythe slip stream (but again are 120mm mounts).

How quiet do you want your computer? As i've also got high speed 140 yates, that push a lot of air but make a lot of noise. Your other option is to get gentle typhoons and an adapter, or i think Noiseblocker PK3's are quite good. Check out martins liquid lab for results on an Sr1 (low fpi), but there are a lot of sites in german that do thorough static pressure and noise testing. As a rule of thumb, more blades = higher static pressure.

Fan review links:
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2010/12/10/r7-140mm-fan-testing-on-a-hwlabs-sr1-radiator/
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/140mm-fan-roundup_12.html#sect0

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Noiseblocker PK-3's are great case fans but I can't stand the noise they make with a radiator. I have replaced mine with Thermaltake X-Silent's on one system and Bitfenix Spectre Pro's on other one. This is Martin's comment on PK-3's :
Quote:
Noise Blocker Black Silent Pro PK-3

Another fan sponsored by SeeingRed, thanks!!!

The noise blocker has near perfect sound quality at 4-5V. No rubbing, no motor ticks, just smooth sound. Unfortunately...like the yate loons, this fan starts having what I would describe as blade resonance with the radiator at higher speeds. You can barely notice it at around 7V and it gets progressively stronger on upwards. Noise level is about average down low and perhaps a bit higher than average at higher speeds. It does have very good RPM range and electrical efficiency is a fair amount better than the yate SM.
The bolded part is what bothers me. I think that noise could be removed with shrouds but I don't have room enough to use them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm67 View Post

Noiseblocker PK-3's are great case fans but I can't stand the noise they make with a radiator. I have replaced mine with Thermaltake X-Silent's on one system and Bitfenix Spectre Pro's on other one.
What radiators do you use, as i'd seen the spectre's had quite low static pressure? I just wish they would release some 140 Gt's
frown.gif
That or make the zalman or scythe fans that i use proper 140 mm fans.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warejon9 View Post

What radiators do you use, as i'd seen the spectre's had quite low static pressure? I just wish they would release some 140 Gt's
frown.gif
That or make the zalman or scythe fans that i use proper 140 mm fans.
I have a Magicool slim 280 in sig system and Aquacomputer airplex revolution 420/360 + EK 140 rad in another system. Magicool is running with Thermaltake fans and other rig uses Bitfenix fans.

·
New to Overclock.net
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

The best thing to do if you have the room is to use a pair of 120mm GT's. Then use some Bgears or Bitspower 120mm to 140mm adapters. The 120mm Gentle Typhoons are better than almost any 140mm fan out there.
i agree man. i wish id have done more research before buying my fans a few months ago. Im going to get 3 of the the GT AP-15's for push through my 3x140 rad. It's mounted at the top of my switch-810 case, which also has mounting holes for 120mm fans

1 - 10 of 10 Posts