Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Well, decided to go Intel and give my board/cpu and ram to my parent's build. Now I already have an E2160 thanks -iceblade^ and 2x2Gb XMS2. Now which board?

Things I want need:
  • At least 4 SATA Ports
  • A well postioned IDE port
  • Clearance for my S1283+ Crossbow Bolt-Thru
  • 4 RAM Slots
  • 45nm and good quad o/c capability
Things I want:
  • 2/3 PCI-E X16 Slots
  • At least 2 PCI Slots
  • A good copper coooling for NB/SB
  • CrossfireX Support
I know, I know! Slightly picky eh?

Here's a few boards I had in mind:
  • Abit IP35 Pro XE ( <3 Abit)
  • DFI INF BI P35
  • DFI LP DK P45-T2RS
  • Asus Striker Extreme
  • Asus Commando
  • Asus P5Q PRO/P5Q-E
The IP35 I can get new for £70, the Blood Iron for £80 and the Striker for £85. I did have my eye on the P45-T2RS, but it sold on eBay before I even had the money..
Unless I can find another for as cheap, who knows?

I can also get a P5Q Pro of someone here on OCN for good value, but again, his had trouble passing 450FSB on a quad.

In all I am unsure really what to do!

Help?

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
I would suggest saving a bit more cash for i5/i7 or just going AM3 if I were you. S775 is on the way out really. But if you really want 775 then I would go with the DFI LP DK P45-T2RS.

I would avoid that P5Q as it's really not a great overclocker for quads.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Anything DFI i would reccoment that you're looking at. I've always had great luck with their boards, also asus has my support as well.
The choices you've listed are all good.

As Penicilyn mentioned 775 being on it's way out, he's right, but 775 still has plenty of power, and you will IMHO notice a decent difference between your current build an Intel one. now that i'm on the dark side i may never go back, unless the phenom's can hit 4ghz with my limited computer budget.
Anyway back on topic, you mentioned good chipset cooling, if you pick any of the p45 derivative chipsets , from what i've seen you'll have no problem hitting 500 FSB on stock cooling, i threw an aftermarket cooler on my DS3L's NB and i don't even know why, perhaps i like copper.
Anyway all of the choices you listed are golden, good luck finding one cheap!

also this board is secks for a quad so i hear... http://www.legitreviews.com/article/883/1/

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Just a note, any p45 won't have 16x 16x crosefire, they run cf in 8x 8x. That being said, The UD3P is a FANTASTIC board, nothing will overclock that chip better.

The UDS3L won't do cf, but it is a fantastic budget board and might be more appropriate for that lower end CPU. Then you could upgrade to i7 after the 32nm shrink and buy a new mb.

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.. A for i5/i7. No can do. I don't have a job and really don't need that kind of performance. Plus, I don't wanna go buy more ram when my ddr2 is fine.

UD3P would have been a yes, but out of my budget at £130.

Rep+

EDIT: I can also get a P5KC and PK-E Wifi for cheap, are these any good? I know they are P35.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiftes View Post
EDIT: I can also get a P5KC and PK-E Wifi for cheap, are these any good? I know they are P35.
I can't say for sure on this because i've never owned this specific board, but my expirence with the P35 chipset is that with a nice little bump in NB voltage i was able to take my 2 blood irons to 500 and 515 FSB. but again, not sure about the asus side of things.

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. No use linking me to Newegg; I am in the UK.

But, tough decisions!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I also recommend the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I just got rid of my P5Q-E for one. Wish I would have known more about the UD3P when I got my P5Q-E because I would have passed on it. Don't get me wrong the P5Q-E is a great board, but the UD3P is just plain better especially if OC'ing quads is what you're after.

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Overclocking quads isn't my main goal, but I may get a quad later this year.

Again, the UD3P is out of my budget, I don't have a job and don't want to overspend on my parents credit card.

Anyone else other than the UD3P?

Which Gigabyte P35 boards are good?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiftes
View Post

Again, the UD3P is out of my budget, I don't have a job and don't want to overspend on my parents credit card.

How much is it over there? I just got mine for $130, but I live in the US obviously.

The P5Q series are really good boards as well. I liked my P5Q-E a lot. Which you had listed, but here that board costs more than the Gigabyte unless you got a used/open box one.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiftes
View Post

This might help

http://www.techspot.com/article/61-i...board-roundup/

Edit: An open box UD3P might work too... don't know how the availability is where you are though.

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well to summarise:

I bought a Abit IX38 Quad GT for £80 off eBay.

Quite chuffed and a real bargain!

Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts