Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow enthusiasts,
looking to build my own pc. After endless days of research i decided to go with a Ryzen 5 2600x. However i cant seem to decide on what motherboard i should go with. I have been out of the game for so long im a little lost when it comes to the selection beetween b350 mother boards x370 or x470. Ive spent the last 3 days looking at a million motherboards and i dont know which to pick. I dont know if i intend to overclock but i would like to have the option if i do choose to do so. what i thought of doing is maybe listing a few options that i would like to have and perhaps you can give me some suggestions. I could really use your help so any info would be great.

- a board with an easy overclocking system
- 1 slot for ssd memory. I dont know if having an m2 adaptor is best.
-the card will mainly be used for gaming
- a good sound codec with 7.1 (or maybe i should buy a sound card i dont know if thats still a thing now a days)
-it can be any size but not e-atx because it wont fit in the thermaltake v71 case i chose for it.
-3 usb slot minimum if possible the fastest one 10mb or whatever it is.
- I dont intend to sli or crossfire so thats not important to me.
-I would like for it to be a little future proof if possible.
-Dual channel memory would be nice i would like to use at least 3000mhz memory.
- i want to put 3 fans in the front 3 on top 1 in the back ill propably need one for the cpu so im not sure if that matters when it comes to connectors.
- i plan on using one ssd and then one hdd

my budget would be maximum 200 usd or under if possible.

optional wifi and bluetooth would be great if its possible.

I await any advice anyone has in the mean time ill keep looking for diffrent options.

Thanks a lot.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
Hello fellow enthusiasts,
looking to build my own pc. After endless days of research i decided to go with a Ryzen 5 2600x. However i cant seem to decide on what motherboard i should go with. I have been out of the game for so long im a little lost when it comes to the selection beetween b350 mother boards x370 or x470. Ive spent the last 3 days looking at a million motherboards and i dont know which to pick. I dont know if i intend to overclock but i would like to have the option if i do choose to do so. what i thought of doing is maybe listing a few options that i would like to have and perhaps you can give me some suggestions. I could really use your help so any info would be great.

- a board with an easy overclocking system
- 1 slot for ssd memory. I dont know if having an m2 adaptor is best.
-the card will mainly be used for gaming
- a good sound codec with 7.1 (or maybe i should buy a sound card i dont know if thats still a thing now a days)
-it can be any size but not e-atx because it wont fit in the thermaltake v71 case i chose for it.
-3 usb slot minimum if possible the fastest one 10mb or whatever it is.
- I dont intend to sli or crossfire so thats not important to me.
-I would like for it to be a little future proof if possible.
-Dual channel memory would be nice i would like to use at least 3000mhz memory.
- i want to put 3 fans in the front 3 on top 1 in the back ill propably need one for the cpu so im not sure if that matters when it comes to connectors.
- i plan on using one ssd and then one hdd

my budget would be maximum 200 usd or under if possible.

optional wifi and bluetooth would be great if its possible.

I await any advice anyone has in the mean time ill keep looking for diffrent options.

Thanks a lot.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119099

this is the one I'm going with, getting it at the end of the month I highly recommend that, I already have the 2600x :) just need the board and ram

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Where are you located? Are you able to get a X370 board pre-flashed with Ryzen 2nd gen compatible BIOS?

I'd say for a Ryzen 5 you don't need as much power to the CPU as a Ryzen 7. You're powering 6 cores instead of 8.

If you were looking at X470 then I'd also advise going with ASUS X470-F STRIX unless going for a top end board (i.e. CH VII Hero , Gaming 7, Taichi , and to a lesser extent the MSI M7). Mainly because it has a BCLK generator and 2nd gen Ryzen isn't worth manual overclocking. You're better off with ~102 to 104 BCLK.

The Asus Prime X470 Pro would also work but it has zero troubleshooting features to speak of and no BCLK. The problem with low end X470 is they all use PWM controllers that aren't very good so the voltage control is shoddy (which means even if it can deliver the power, overclocking is not going to be a good experience). At the low/mid-end of X470, Gigabyte's the only one with BCLK but the power delivery is controlled by the ISL95712 and people with the boards say that they can't set manual voltage.

If you're able to utilize X370, there's the X370-F STRIX which is the same as X470-F STRIX but without the second M.2 slot (also no RGB graffiti). There's also the Asrock X370 Taichi (has 2 M.2), X370 Crosshair series from ASUS, and the Gigabyte X370 K7. I don't know where you're located so I can't give you a decisive answer, some places have the older X370 on a severe discount that makes buying cheap X470 boards quite pointless. All those x370 boards have BCLK and decent power delivery and featureset.

B350-I/X370-I from ASUS might also be an option for you but it's ITX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The X470 Tachi is my #1 preferred board (assuming that it ever goes on sale) but the X470-F Strix is my #2
Can't go wrong with either of them, apparently

1 - 5 of 5 Posts