Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I am just experimenting with some songs on guitar...not planning on getting into guitar big time. Just want to play a few things on guitar from some songs.
Any hoo, I am a noob at guitar...although i can play the begining to "thunder struck" which so I have heard isn't hard. I was just directed how to do it.
What I want to know is how the world am I supposed to read guitar tabs? What do the letters mean behind the numbers? I know what eadgbe is, and I know what the numbers mean, but I want to know how to read these things and play them.

For example... Wanted deadalive.

How would I play that...what I mean is how do I pluck the strings and how frequent, and which ones, and all that great stuff...any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
according to that tab there is no plucking...do you know how to read tab?

As it appears on the screen.......

----------- The smallest, highest pitch string
-----------
-----------
-----------
-----------
----------- The thickest, lowest sound tab

Upside down from the way you hold it kinda...when it says something like

-----------
-----------
--4--------
-----------
---------7-
-----------

You will play the 4th Fret on the 3rd string from the bottom of the guitar, and then since the 7 comes after it, play the 7th fret on the second string from the top...dig it?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
according to that tab there is no plucking...do you know how to read tab?

As it appears on the screen.......

----------- The smallest, highest pitch string
-----------
-----------
-----------
-----------
----------- The thickest, lowest sound tab

Upside down from the way you hold it kinda...when it says something like

-----------
-----------
--4--------
-----------
---------7-
-----------

You will play the 4th Fret on the 3rd string from the bottom of the guitar, and then since the 7 comes after it, play the 7th fret on the second string from the top...dig it?
Do I know how to read a tab? Obviously not. How do I play the 4th fret without plucking the string?

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Plucking is different than simply striking the string with your pick. Plucking is where you grab and pull the string with your finger, example, you put your finger under the string, pull up and let it drop back. Striking or simply hitting the string is different.

Did my tab explanation help you? 4th fret, place and push your finger on the freat (obviously) and hit the string bro!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm...ok..i will experiment a bit and let you know..reps for you!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
thanks, i can make a video for you on my webcam maybe...i'll see about doing that tomorrow

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That'd be cool. Thx.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey could you direct me to some good beginner acoustic guitar tabs? Like just a beginner song that is easy, and sounds good?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I don't see any letters behind #'s in that tab, but what the usually mean is like
"b"=bend the string (you know what that is right?),
"/"=slide from different notes (as in 5/8 means hit string once and slide your finger from 5 to 8),
"h"=hammer on (as in ---13--12h13p-, that means after plucking the string to hit 13 fret, you have to then quickly push your finger on the 12th fret, without plucking the string again),
"p"=pull-off ( as in ---13--12h13p-, after hitting the string on the 13th fret, your gonna pull your finger off of the 13th fret immediately, as in not holding it down)
also, when the tab creaters put a "*" symbol under the fret #'s as in
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-------1-------2-------
--000-----00------00--
(the ** symbols are supposed to be under the 0's, i couldnt get it to line up
)
it means to palm mute that string (resting the side/palmish
of your hand on the string where you are picking, basically resting your hand slightly on the strings while your playing.)

Sorry if it sounds confusing or I mis-interpreted anything, it's kinda hard to extra in words.
Hope this helps
and good luck!

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
The easiest way to understand how to play tabs is to sit down and listen to the song you are trying to play and just go over it and just hit each note once. That will give you an understanding of how it flows. Kopi has explained the strings, but as far as timing goes everyone has their own tabbing style so it really just depends on how the tab is setup. You will also see this sort.

----------------
----------------
----------------
--4-------------
--4-------------
--2-------------

You would place your finger on the E string on the 2nd fret and your other finger on the A and D string at the 4th fret and pick all three strings.

Oh, and a 0 means you pick that string without holding it at a fret. Iron Man, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Smoke on the Water...that sort of stuff is an easy start.

• Rep+
Reactions: kagaos

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
hmm my first acoustic guitar song was Knockin on heavens doors by GNR. Good tune...especially to begin with...heres a good linker to it.

Link for all the guitar chords
Knockin on heavens doors chords by ME lol....

listen to song first...then play the chords as.....

G,D,C

In that order, with teh beat. A good program to DL is Guitar Pro. Then, you can download tabs and it shows you how to play them, works very well

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aight. Got it. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
no problem, always willing to recruit another rocker!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi
View Post

no problem, always willing to recruit another rocker!!!!

Amen!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

The rhythm of the song is in 4 / 4 time (four beats per measure) and the chords change each and every measure.

Hey I gota toughie here...what does that mean? Yes, if you are wondering I am an idiot, and I tried not to listen to the music teacher from 1st grade to 7th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts