Overclock.net banner

Need help, Recommendations for smaller build. Mobo, Case, Cooler Reccomendations ect.

1054 Views 17 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ozlay
I was looking to have a smaller rig from my ATX. I saw the Torrent Compact but I am not sure how much smaller it is and if its better to just go mATX and possibly even find a smaller Case

current build is
Seasonic PRIME PX-1000, 1000W 80+ Platinum,
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti ROG Strix Overclocked
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16
ICEGIANT PROSIPHON ELITE COOLER
MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WF
AMD AMD RYZEN 7 5800X
Meshify 2 Case

I may upgrade my 5800x to a 5800 x 3d because I heard its better for gaming and it looks like that on benchmarks posted on youtube. Close enough to a 12700k and 12900k for gaming with less heat.
I want to know good mobo's for what I have, but I am also open to changing my Ice Giant to another cooler (preferably liquid). I would prefer the mobo to have at least two m.2 slots and wife 6e.
I most importantly want good quality board at smaller sizes for handling high voltages (VRM and cooling). Ideally I won't want to have to buy a new PSU, and for the case to support ATX PSU's
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
3,617 Posts
The thing to watch with the Torrent compact/nano is if using AIO with rad in front it will limit most high end GPUs as they will be too long.

If you mount rad in bottom most will circulate air and make noise and the pump will die much sooner. So unless using a short GPU most will be limited to using an air cooler in the smaller Torrent. I have the full size Torrent with 420 AIO in front and it works great.

In the 1st pic I rotated the block to test temps sideways but normally I run it turned vertically.

Attachments

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Super compact build with 280MM AIO, 3 slot GPU,

not changing your PSU to SFX will severely limit the amount of selection of super-compact cases that you can use.

Lian Li Q58
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3
NZXT X63 280MM AIO (Other 280MM AIO will not fit)
Corsair SF750W Platinum (should be enough for 5950x and RTX 3090)

mobo tier list: All 300 Motherboard Feature Set and General Use Tier List For Intel Z690, H670, B660, H610, and AMD X570, B550, A520 Buildapc edition.
PSU Tier List: [psucultists] PSU Tier List rev. 15.0a - Cultists Network
SFF Case master list: SFF PC Master List

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing to watch with the Torrent compact/nano is if using AIO with rad in front it will limit most high end GPUs as they will be too long.

If you mount rad in bottom most will circulate air and make noise and the pump will die much sooner. So unless using a short GPU most will be limited to using an air cooler in the smaller Torrent. I have the full size Torrent with 420 AIO in front and it works great.

In the 1st pic I rotated the block to test temps sideways but normally I run it turned vertically.
Yes I was looking at stuff about AIO pumps. Basically I don't want the highest point to be the pump. Air escapes at the highest point and air inside the pump will damage it. I saw reviews about the Nano but it didn't look good and had problems with the bottom fans fitting with gpus. Not sure if it would work if I bought Slim Fans for the bottom. The front Clearance says it should work according to the manual because it says max gpu length of 335 mm with Front fans. but maybe its not considering the Rad. But for a mini itx case it doesn't seam small. its temps don't look that good either but I never had a ITX build or mATX so I am not sure what kind of temps is typical for those form factors. Looks kind of bulky for ITX. The mATX Compact version had my eye, it seems more reasonable for its form factor as the boards have at least one more PCIE express slot and more space for m.2 ( if the board supports) and typically have better VRM

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super compact build with 280MM AIO, 3 slot GPU,

not changing your PSU to SFX will severely limit the amount of selection of super-compact cases that you can use.

Lian Li Q58
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3
NZXT X63 280MM AIO (Other 280MM AIO will not fit)
Corsair SF750W Platinum (should be enough for 5950x and RTX 3090)

mobo tier list: All 300 Motherboard Feature Set and General Use Tier List For Intel Z690, H670, B660, H610, and AMD X570, B550, A520 Buildapc edition.
PSU Tier List: [psucultists] PSU Tier List rev. 15.0a - Cultists Network
SFF Case master list: SFF PC Master List

This board seems pointless with a X570 chipset. It only has 1 m.2 slot and only 1 PCI Slot for the Gpu. I wouldn't be able to add a wifi 6 e card or add more m.2 slots. Doesn't seem to have good ratings online. The memory section of the board appears to be sub par

· Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Yes I was looking at stuff about AIO pumps. Basically I don't want the highest point to be the pump. Air escapes at the highest point and air inside the pump will damage it. I saw reviews about the Nano but it didn't look good and had problems with the bottom fans fitting with gpus. Not sure if it would work if I bought Slim Fans for the bottom. The front Clearance says it should work according to the manual because it says max gpu length of 335 mm with Front fans. but maybe its not considering the Rad. But for a mini itx case it doesn't seam small. its temps don't look that good either but I never had a ITX build or mATX so I am not sure what kind of temps is typical for those form factors. Looks kind of bulky for ITX. The mATX Compact version had my eye, it seems more reasonable for its form factor as the boards have at least one more PCIE express slot and more space for m.2 ( if the board supports) and typically have better VRM

335mm is not considering a radiator in front. Look at page 8 of the manual, it shows 285mm for max GPU with rad and fans.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Gigabyte X570SI AORUS PRO AX rev. 1.1 has WiFI 6E and 2x M.2 PCIe slots, but no thunderbolt 3
This one looks interesting but I don't know if the VRM and Components are the same for the ATX version of this board. Or if the VRM's and phases are better on this one.
This is definitely an interesting option. A concern I see is this the wifi 6e card is from mediatek. I know Intel is good but I don't know about mediatek wifi 6e cards

· Registered
1,140 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has two M.2 slots

Page 14 shows where the M.2 location is and page 18 is instruction on how to install it.
the photo only shows 1 m.2. on page 8. it says note the connectors is on the back of the motherboard so it looks like only one.

but on page 5 and 8 it shows like if there is 2. But I don't understand where is the other one is then on page 14 or 4.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
the photo only shows 1 m.2. on page 8. it says note the connectors is on the back of the motherboard so it looks like only one.

but on page 5 and 8 it shows like if there is 2. But I don't understand where is the other one is then on page 14 or 4.
one M.2 on the front of the board on top of PCIe x16 slot covered by a plate and the other is on the back of the motherboard.

Similar to the B550I version

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
ok I think what probably happened is that there is one under the heat sink and one in the same exact spot on the other side of the motherboard. I wish they clarified that better. On Page 14 (edit) it only shows 1 and then just says m.2 . It doesn't say one on both front and one on the back or even 2x M.2. Just says that the connectors are on the back. there's no review for this specific mother board though.

· Overclocking Enthusiast
7,041 Posts
There are pictures of the front m.2 on gigabytes website. The other m.2 must be located in the back. Like their other x570i board. They don't seem to have pictures of the back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.