Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I hope this is in the correct part of the forums, I know there is a grey area between home audio and hifi etc
redface.gif

Been a bit confused and need some quick help, I was going to get this Sony HTIB but in another thread a few people pointed me away and towards a seperates build.

One of the av recievers recommended to me instead to buy is a Sony STRDH500, which I was told in terms of audio quality (dependant on the speakers used too I guess) would be worlds better.

A key point made about the reciever was that fact it had more inputs, giving me flexibility. I can optical in my pc, which I will listen to most of the time, and my ps3, and then HD out to my TV.

Before I make the purchase tonight, could anyone provide anymore information on if this is a good way to go? Its going to be a little more expensive with a good set of speakers than the HTIB, but if its going to be MUCH better, its worth it
biggrin.gif

I will be gaming, music listening and loads of movie watching, either from the pc or the ps3.

I'd also need some 5.1 speaker packages recommended
smile.gif
Amp around the same price @ £100~ and speakers £100-£150

Please give any information you can
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone could recommend another receiver, as the one I mentioned looks quite hard to get hold of at the moment

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
This urinates over anything Sony have produced... from a great height.

PLUS... it is a reciever, and, therfore when the

is released... all you need to do is BUY that POS and hook it up.

This Onkyo is the kind of product that you buy ONCE IN 20+ years!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Just in-case that was not clear...
DO NOT buy Sony Home-Entertainment gear because it is Sheeite

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I see what your saying, can you recommend an equivalent reciever?

Will I be ok connecting my pc and ps3 using optical?

I'm an audio newbie and really need help

I see Onkyo everywhere, sounds like a trusted name

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I see what your saying, can you recommend an equivalent reciever?

Will I be ok connecting my pc and ps3 using optical?

I'm an audio newbie and really need help

I see Onkyo everywhere, sounds like a trusted name

Edit: That Onkyo you linked is nearly £300

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Get that Onkyo matey!

If you run-out of connections in the next 10 years I WILL PERSONALLY stick a brillo-pad up my ass.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't, its WAY out of my budget
Considering I can get a HTIB for £200, which I know wont sound anywhere near as good... and thats WITH the speakers

Could you recommend any lower priced ones? Preferably Onkyo

Edit: Didnt realise it came with the speakers... hmmmm only £80 out of budget then...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm starting to think the Sony HTIB is a good solution

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone can confirm the ONKYO AVX-380 will be good for me to optical my pc and ps3 to, please tell me because I'm reading everywhere that people love them.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemunky
View Post

If anyone can confirm the ONKYO AVX-380 will be good for me to optical my pc and ps3 to, please tell me because I'm reading everywhere that people love them.

People love them!
Sheeple haven't even heard of onkyo

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemunky
View Post

I'm starting to think the Sony HTIB is a good solution

No
No
and thrice NO!

That onkyo will last you 20+ years!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please give me some info then please lmao

Is it going to be great for what I'm using it for? Pc music, gaming and ps3, all through optical?

Are those speakers that come packaged any good? Because I found a shop selling for £220 without the speakers and just the main unit

Its an active sub I hope

Going on your answers, I'll order in a while

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
few years back i went with a pioneer HTIB and it was nice for a while but in the end i never felt satisfied. so after 2 years with it i sold it and bought a used yamaha receiver off of craigslist for $100 amarican in mint condition. it was maybe 5-6 years old and msrp was $600. if you can look on craigslist.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
anyone ?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow this part of the forum is quiet...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Okay bro. Get the Onkyo receiver. Just do it. Receivers have all the features you need. You can hook up your PC, your PS3, your TV, and everything else you want. Modern receivers do all the work for you. You can connect it via optical, coax, HDMI, RCA, it doesn't matter.

Whatever you do, don't buy Home Theater in a Box. Get the receiver and speakers separate if you can. I know it may seem scary at first but trust me you'll get hooked after you see how easy it is and hear how good it is. It's because Sony doesn't know how to make them honestly and they certainly don't know how to make speakers, get speakers from a company that really knows how to make speakers like Polk, JBL, Klipsch, Energy, Boston Acoustics, etc.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doomtomb
View Post

Okay bro. Get the Onkyo receiver. Just do it. Receivers have all the features you need. You can hook up your PC, your PS3, your TV, and everything else you want. Modern receivers do all the work for you. You can connect it via optical, coax, HDMI, RCA, it doesn't matter.

Whatever you do, don't buy Home Theater in a Box. Get the receiver and speakers separate if you can. I know it may seem scary at first but trust me you'll get hooked after you see how easy it is and hear how good it is. It's because Sony doesn't know how to make them honestly and they certainly don't know how to make speakers, get speakers from a company that really knows how to make speakers like Polk, JBL, Klipsch, Energy, Boston Acoustics, etc.

Hehe
Y'see, OP... the clue is that Onkyo Receiver.

Doomtomb - ty for the "boost"!

OP - take the plunge and you will not regret it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just an FYI, 99.99999% of those inexpensive HTIB systems, like that sony will have a passive sub, meaning it draws it's power from the receiver via a speaker wire. You WANT an active sub, which draws it's power from the wall directly. If you want quality sound you will get a system that comes bundled with the receiver, speakers and an active sub or piece together your own system (separate speakers/receiver/sub/etc), no build in dvd players or blu rays or any of that junk, get that separate too.

Plus, if something breaks on an all-in-one, chances are you're out of luck on everything (not worth spending the money to fix it usually). Want to upgrade your speakers down the road? Tough luck, most units, especially sony use proprietary plugs, so don't go breaking the plastic housings for the wires. Want to hook up more than two or three things. It's doable, but you're going to need to use three different connections; maybe digital coax, optical, rca....and in an odd case a 3.5mm aux.

Whereas with a dedicated unit you have a plethora of connections, generally 2 or 3 of each...AT LEAST. Not to mention the standard sub and speaker hookups that let you customize to your hearts content. Sure, you may have a few more wires to deal with, but as with your rig, wire management is key. Take your time and do it right.

Not to mention that most of those HTIB units use cheap thin gauge wires. Inferior products with mediocre marketing and quick shooting sales reps. Gotta love em.

Hopefully this explains why everybody is suggesting other routes besides the just get it and you'll be happy reasons, which are 100% true.

/rant

1 - 20 of 21 Posts