Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently at MC and I'm looking at the SA for $99.99 and the Xigmatek Aegir for $69.99. Based on reviews, if I add a 2nd fan with the Aegir, it will trail the SA by ~3 to ~4C when cooling a i7 950 @ 4.3GHz. I forgot the (2) fans the reviewer was using but the Aegir already has the same fan that is used with the Dark Knight (89CFM @ w/Air Pressure @ 4.1(max). If I buy the Aegir, I will have (2) DK fans since I am currently using the DK now.

This is for an i5 760...for now.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;11924623
if you are willing to spend that much money on a cooler, go with a rasa RS240 or RS360 water cooling kit.
I sorta want to agree with this... just make sure you have room for res/pump and rad...

If you wont want to entertain water... Get the best cooler that you can afford is my philosophy. If it support 1156, you'll be good for 1155 sandy bridge when you upgrade, but if you wanting for a different socket and want to know about compatibility, anyones guess at that point...

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp459;11924636
I sorta want to agree with this... just make sure you have room for res/pump and rad...

If you wont want to entertain water... Get the best cooler that you can afford is my philosophy. If it support 1156, you'll be good for 1155 sandy bridge when you upgrade, but if you wanting for a different socket and want to know about compatibility, anyones guess at that point...
I find it extremely funny how people are like, oh i want air cooling because it is cheaper, then they go spend 160 dollars on a silver arrow cooler(which is fine) and then spend 60 dollars on good fans for it.

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;11924623
if you are willing to spend that much money on a cooler, go with a rasa RS240 or RS360 water cooling kit.
Okay...that's $150 for that on FrozenCPU. I'm guessing I will buy a cooling block for the cpu...correct? If so what do you recommend and about how much for that? Looks like I'll be soending about $200 to $250 at the end of the day. Or am I incorrect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;11924648
I find it extremely funny how people are like, oh i want air cooling because it is cheaper, then they go spend 160 dollars on a silver arrow cooler(which is fine) and then spend 60 dollars on good fans for it.
Well I don't know about that. $100 + tax would be my limit for a heatsink (if it's worth it) and the fans that come with it are good enough. It looks like I'll be spending double for water-cooling.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan;11924685
Okay...that's $150 for that on FrozenCPU. I'm guessing I will buy a cooling block for the cpu...correct? If so what do you recommend and about how much for that? Looks like I'll be soending about $200 to $250 at the end of the day. Or am I incorrect?

Well I don't know about that. $100 + tax would be my limit for a heatsink (if it's worth it) and the fans that come with it are good enough. It looks like I'll be spending double for water-cooling.
Ummm no you don't buy a water block for the cpu.

the rasa kit comes with everything you need. so spend 130 for the RS240 kit and then buy distilled water and a form of biocide, either a silver kill coil or a addative like PT nuke, and you have a fully functional water cooling system.

When I ordered mine, my bill came to 231 dollars, but I bought colored tubing, biocide drops as well as a kill coil, a res for a mod I was doing, extra barbs for the res. so really I just bought an RS360 and a kill coil, so like 156 dollars.

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never used water-cooling before...Do you know of a link to show you the proper way of installing water-cooling or will the instructions with the kit you are recommending clearly take care of that?

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan;11924792
I've never used water-cooling before...Do you know of a link to show you the proper way of installing water-cooling or will the instructions with the kit you are recommending clearly take care of that?
Lots o' linkies and discussions o'er in yonder Watercooling board.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Who pays a $160 for a Silver Arrow and who replaces the stock TY140 with $60 fans??
lachen.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;11924648

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yati;11924827
Who pays a $160 for a Silver Arrow and who replaces the stock TY140 with $60 fans??
lachen.gif
Umm people who are stupid and want better air flow at the cost of sound level.

I wasn't saying everybody buys that exact cooler and does that exact thing, just saying people are willing to spend money out their butt for air cooling, but don't realize liquid cooling can be the same price if not cheaper.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
A Silver Arrow comes with all the fans it needs. But $100 + tax is more than you need to spend.

OP, you are not showing your case, but you might even fit an Archon.

Anyway, order online . . .

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Eh I never understood why people spend so much on high end air coolers like the SA/D14 the price is almost stupid high I don't care how many fans it comes with. Honestly, the top 5 air coolers are within 1-3C of each other and the $20+ price jump for a measly 1-2C isn't worth it for me personally.

If you're looking for other good/proven air cooler without the hefty price tag I think the VenX/Megahalem/TRUE +fans are still worth every penny in their own right and still keep your wallet intact.

2cents.gif

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yati;11924827
lachen.gif
A hypothetical person in a story told by someone attempting to justify purchasing the XSPC kit
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume;11925940
A Silver Arrow comes with all the fans it needs. But $100 + tax is more than you need to spend.

OP, you are not showing your case, but you might even fit an Archon.

Anyway, order online . . .
This, you can find SA online for $75-$80 the last time I checked.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohzer0;11926022
Eh I never understood why people spend so much on high end air coolers like the SA/D14 the price is almost stupid high I don't care how many fans it comes with. Honestly, the top 5 air coolers are within 1-3C of each other and the $20+ price jump for a measly 1-2C isn't worth it for me personally.

If you're looking for other good/proven air cooler without the hefty price tag I think the VenX/Megahalem/TRUE +fans are still worth every penny in their own right and still keep your wallet intact.

2cents.gif
Most places have the VenX/Megahalem/True for around $50-$60. If you buy two fans for push pull (the most popular choices seem to be: San Ace $22/each, Scythe Gentle Typhoon $22 each, Thermalright TY-140 $13 each), then they are around the same price as the D14/SA, if not more.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Pat;11926244
Most places have the VenX/Megahalem/True for around $50-$60. If you buy two fans for push pull (the most popular choices seem to be: San Ace $22/each, Scythe Gentle Typhoon $22 each, Thermalright TY-140 $13 each), then they are around the same price as the D14/SA, if not more.
77Pat is exactly right, why pay $60 venX/megahalem + $20+ fans, when you can just pay $80 for Silver Arrow with two TY140s included?

You can get it for $80 right now at svc.com. I got lucky when I bought mine, $72.99

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everybody for the assistance...I had decided to go with the Xigmatek Aegir. Got it for $54.99 (price match
thumb.gif
) This should do the job for now. It came with 1 fan [[/SIZE]89CFM (max) w/air pressure @ 4.1mmH2O(max)]. This is the same fan the Dark Knight uses. Since I already have the DK, I can use both fans on the Aegir for a push/pull setup. This should handle the little i5 760 with no problem while OC'ing
biggrin.gif

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by drBlahMan
View Post

Thanks everybody for the assistance...I had decided to go with the Xigmatek Aegir. Got it for $54.99 (price match
) This should do the job for now. It came with 1 fan [89CFM (max) w/air pressure @ 4.1mmH2O(max)]. This is the same fan the Dark Knight uses. Since I already have the DK, I can use both fans on the Aegir for a push/pull setup. This should handle the little i5 760 with no problem while OC'ing

I am glad to see you did something smart and made air cooling cheaper then water cooling

Hope you like your cooler.

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

I am glad to see you did something smart and made air cooling cheaper then water cooling

Hope you like your cooler.

Me too
It just does not make any sense to invest so much in a heatsink knowing that there are less expensive heatsinks that can easily get your OC in the 4GHz territory.

As for water-cooling, one day I'll stop being so one-sided and give it a try

Thanks for your suggestion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts