Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dell inspiron 5567 with 1TB mechanical hdd. I am planning to install an ssd of 128GB and set it as boot drive.
Now as this laptop do not have M.2 slot, i have an option of using a M.2 caddy to install M.2 SSD in either optical drive slot or internal hdd area.

I need suggestions to choose between M.2 SSD ( like Samsung EVO 960/970) or a 2.5'' SSD ( like Samsung EVO 860). In either case, my selected drive will be used just for booting.

Keep in mind, I dont have a M.2 slot, i will use a M.2 caddy.

Thank you in advance :)

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
They make AHCI M.2 SSDs. The M.2 SSDs you listed were NVMe. I wouldn't recommend getting an NVMe SSD as they're only useful in drive-limited scenarios. If all you're doing is installing Windows onto a SSD, get the cheapest one you can find.

·
Storage Nut
21,109 Posts
An M.2 NVMe SSD will not work in a 2.5” SATA to M.2 SATA caddie. You need an M.2 SATA SSD. M.2 is a form factor. 2.5” 9mm is a form factor. NVMe is a logical protocol link, just as is SATA/AHCI is. SATA ports can not communicate with NVMe devices without a controller chip that negotiates/translates things...which doesn’t exist as far as I can recall. NVMe SSDs must be connected to the chipset/CPU via PCIe lanes. So, unless your laptop is a newer one that has an M.2 port that accepts both NVMe and SATA devices, you can’t use an M.2 NVMe SSD. (Looking up reviews it looks like it is only SATA.) Just go with an M.2 SATA SSD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts