Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i got a Asus P5N-D, nForce-750i SLI motherboard with a e8500, and i would like to clock my e8500 to around 3.6-4k.
Anyone know how to do this? im VERY VERY new to overclocking and cant do much then get to the bios.
Im using a Asus GF 8800gt 512 TOP
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5, Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's
And i dont know really how to do this stuff so please if someone know, please help me ^^
Would be best with a step to step guide with pictures!

Got one more question, Can i use my GF card that is "TOP" with a same model but not "Top" in SLI mode?

Ty

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Ok, welcome to the overclock.net. The first thing you should do is read some of the great guides on this sight, and google some more if those aren't clear. Generally speaking, finding a guide with exact pictures from you bios is hard, because bios are always being updated and they tend to be layed out a little differently form board to board.

With that board you should be able to hit 3.8ghz without a problem. Set the vcore to 2.5, up the FSB to 400, make sure the multiplier is set to 9.5, and make sure to disable speed step, and all other cpu power saving features (as they will annoyingly underclock your CPU when doing simple stuff). Do the research and check out the guides. If you have questions feel free to post but be specific so we can help you better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okey, ill try that!
thanks alot. Btw, the other question...Can i use my GF card that is "TOP" with a same model but not "Top" in SLI mode?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You should be able to use the video cards, as long as they are the same manufacturer and same GFX card.

Try these settings for your E8500 (425x9.5) 4037.5mhz: QDR = 1700mhz
1.3v CPU
1.48v HT
1.48v NB
1.5v SB
memory voltage set to your manufacturer's spec.

Unlink your memory for now and put it to 800mhz.

·
:)
11,146 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thing is i cant find Vcore etc in bios, i find Vcore at the power settings in bios, got version 402, and it says i think 1.16 there and i can only switch between Ignore and 1.16, how do i make it to 2.5 etc? as said, im very new to this, to new.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had some progress today but still not, i found everything i needed i think, though i never found what Dram means ? it was one of the voltage thingy's. But after i set everything after you guys my screen went pitblack and nothing happend, so i restarted computer and reseted my bios setting, so...what was wrong ? i dont want to make more crazy attempts and frie it.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Yo, yo, yo!
You REALLY should check out go4life`s thread:http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...overclock.html

And fill out your system specs. Makes helping you out alot easier.

And read this http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...ing-guide.html

And this http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...l-threads.html

Your 0402 BIOS should work fine OCing. Mine does. And if youre new to this, gunning right away for desired speed helps you nothing at all IMO. Read guides before attempting to overclock.

Google like crazy and read up before tweaking. Thats my best advice i can give you.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
I am still learning but from what I can explain nobody can just give you the answer you have to learn how to do it by trial and error because every chip is different...even 2 of the exact same chips run on the exact same motherboard OC different. It is really strange but thats how it works.

Everyone tells you to just read...yep that's pretty much it, I have found the best info you can get is by trial and error. just read up on the "rules" because you can have a melt down if you do the wrong thing and you don't want that.

The only way to learn the "rules" is by reading because the info is vast and you kinda have to get an idea for how things are connected and the terminology used. Most of it is just a bunch of lingo. lol

Dram is your ram voltage don't take it over what your ram is rated for. This brings me to another point ("rule") Know what you have...every part. wright it down if you have to because you are gonna have to have it and use it constantly tell you just know it off the top of your head.

I have a 35% OC on my chip, almost a full gig of OC and I still feel like a OC noob. It takes a long time and a lot of reading to become geeky enough to OC effectively and safely. Don't let this scare you though because once you get started you will be hooked...maybe for life. There is no end to the learning that can be done.
There is always more things to tweak and try.

Here is the upside.
You came to the right place! This place is like having a million geeks in your room with you. The people here are off the hook when it comes to knowing and helping.

Good luck on your adventure, I know it will be a good one.

·
11,146 Posts
but most important, remember to fill in your specs

·
11,146 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've read lots but even with the smallest amount almost of voltage changing and everything i still get just a black screen or it get stuck when its loading windows... what shall i do ? Could anyone tell me what my values should be for just a 5% overclock? And btw, i can choose to use AI Overclock in the BIOS if i want, to choose 5-10-15-20 % overclock, ive heard those programs aint good? right ?

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Right. You stay away from the AI overclock and go manual. Turn off speedstep, C1E etc. and dont tinker with voltages just yet. Start upping your FSB in small increments. 20-50mHz or so. You adjust voltages when youre not stable with your FSB settings.
When i started i upped it to 2.77(2.66stock)-->tested stable-->2.82-->tested stable and so on.
Its a babystep thing.

As many settings that you can do manually the better it is.

*edit* Make sure you set the RAM to stock voltage and timings before you OC cpu. And download the benchmarking software etc. You need to see your temps. And get CPU-Z for instance and see what your VID voltage is. Thats your stock Vcore. And you need an aftermarket cpu cooler. DONT buy the Silent Knight 2. Its crap.

*edit again* You learn so much more taking babysteps.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crim2 View Post
Hi, i got a Asus P5N-D, nForce-750i SLI motherboard with a e8500, and i would like to clock my e8500 to around 3.6-4k.
Anyone know how to do this? im VERY VERY new to overclocking and cant do much then get to the bios.
Im using a Asus GF 8800gt 512 TOP
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5, Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's
And i dont know really how to do this stuff so please if someone know, please help me ^^
Would be best with a step to step guide with pictures!

Got one more question, Can i use my GF card that is "TOP" with a same model but not "Top" in SLI mode?

Ty
start with 1600fsb and test, then increase by 10-20, test again. You will find the FSB range has holes in it, you may run fine at 1600 and 1700 but not at all at 1650.

unlink your ram and leave it at 800 until you reach a good OC, then raise is up and test it.

At 1600fsb, depending on your stepping, you could probably do a vCore around 1.22v - 1.28v. This varies, but my recommendation is never to go above 1.37v in the BIOS, anything past that is getting risky.

Finally, there is an official P5N-D thread on the forums here somewhere, find it, and read it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok ill try it with babysteps etc, but one question, i dont really get it with this RAM setting and cant really find it either. What shall i change exactly ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I disbled C1E and speedstep, i raised my FSB to 1500, yes i got into the computer etc, but my temp went straight up to 80! Thats ABIT to high and ill lower the FSB again, what can i do? Only thing i can do is a new fan?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts