Overclock.net banner

Need help troubleshooting

266 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Badwrench 
#1 ·
So I set up the rig in my sig (in case I screwed up the entry and my old machine is there, this is the i5), but I'm having a hard time figuring out why I can't even get a post.

I've reseated the power plugs and my RAM made the correct sound (according to the instructions) to indicate that it's in all the way.

When I start up, I hear/feel all of the fans going (case, CPU, GPU) and can hear my HDDs whirring, but I never hear any beeps or get anything to show up on my monitor (yes my monitor is plugged in and on haha).

I know it's not a lot to go on, but could I get any help?

I very obviously could be wrong, but since there are a few components getting power, shouldn't that indicate that at least part of this is in working order?

EDIT: I've noticed when I try to start it up, there's kind of a delay where the fans will start spinning and then stop and then start up again. It reminded me of how my old rig behaved when I would reset CMOS. I have removed the CMOS battery on this machine and put it back in to reset it as well, but nothing changed.

See less See more
#2 ·
You could start off by listing all the parts in the machine.
And by few components getting power do you mean the motherboard lights up?

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

You could start off by listing all the parts in the machine.
And by few components getting power do you mean the motherboard lights up?
Sorry, has my sig not updated yet? I just entered everything into the form.
I'll be kind of bummed if that didn't take.

As far as the components getting power, I was really referring to the fans and HDD making noise (which they'd presumably need power for). My case lacks a window and according to the motherboard instructions, there's a feature that detects if the door to the case is open (which opens a lot of questions like how? and really?) so I haven't really checked to see if there are any lights popping up.

#4 ·
Your sig can take a while to update and since i am going to bed in a few minutes it probably wont be updated before i go.
A feature that detects if the door to the case is open? really? like how? how does that work? thats about the most idiotic thing i have heard in a while.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Your sig can take a while to update and since i am going to bed in a few minutes it probably wont be updated before i go.
A feature that detects if the door to the case is open? really? like how? how does that work? thats about the most idiotic thing i have heard in a while.
Oh, fair enough, thanks for trying to get me squared away.

CPU: i5 6600K
Motherboard: Asrock Super Alloy Z170 PRO4
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R
GPU: MSI R9 290
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 2x8Gb 2400Mhz
PSU: Corsari HX1000
Storage: Samsung 840 SSD (512MB I think? Sorry this one is a little old and I don't remember off the top of my head), WD Caviar Black 2TBx4

From the motherboard instructions: "If you clear the CMOS, the case open may be detected. Please adjust the BIOS option "Clear Status" to clear the record of previous chassis intrusion status."
Your questions could be quotes from me. Admittedly, I don't know that having the door open could cause an issue with booting, but since I'm clueless at this point I'm doing anything that I can to not make it angry.

I forgot one of the symptoms that may prove useful so I'll update my OP accordingly.

#6 ·
Opening and closing your case should have no effect on the motherboard.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Opening and closing your case should have no effect on the motherboard.
I'm not going to argue, I'm just explaining why I haven't seen if there are any lights yet.

#8 ·
If you have two sticks of RAM. Try them individually (I probably spelt this wrong).

If that doesn't work you may want to check the pins in your CPU socket if they are bent.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Plow View Post

PSU: Corsari HX1000

From the motherboard instructions: "If you clear the CMOS, the case open may be detected. Please adjust the BIOS option "Clear Status" to clear the record of previous chassis intrusion status."
Your questions could be quotes from me. Admittedly, I don't know that having the door open could cause an issue with booting, but since I'm clueless at this point I'm doing anything that I can to not make it angry.

I forgot one of the symptoms that may prove useful so I'll update my OP accordingly.
In case you have not already aware the old Corsair HX1000´ have been dying left right and center for a while now.
Your PSU might be dead or dying.

#11 ·
Ok thanks for the input everyone.

I didn't have much time today, but I did try running with only one piece of RAM and I had the same issue.

I have also found a way to look at the motherboard with the door on (I know it's probably pointless, but whatever), and I didn't see any lights, but on closer inspection I'm not really sure where the lights would come from.
Would the PSU be the culprit if all the fans and HDDS were functional and it did the weird CMOS reset style start up (Not saying it's starting up, just referring to the fact that the fans move a little, stop, then go full throttle every time)? You definitely know more about them than I do, I'm just hoping it's not dying.

As far as bent pins...when I was putting it together, I kind of felt like I dropped one end of the CPU into the socket a little too roughly (not from a distance or anything, I think I just had to let go of one corner after the other corners were already resting on the socket). When I picked it up, it looked like one maybe two pins may be bent, but it only looked that way from certain angles. I don't have any pins and the tweezers I have are too big so I let it slide and was hoping for the best. This is going to be a major bummer if there really is a bent pin that's causing my issue.

#12 ·
Is there a possibility that the CMOS battery has gone bad/flat and cause this?

#13 ·
So sorry to necro my own thread, but this is the first time I've had the chance to really post and I'm still having problems.

I got a new PSU as per Shilka's suggestion (EVGA Supernova 750 G2, someone in a different thread recommended it to me), and now I don't get anything. No fans, no whirring, just silence.
I admit that I've never used modular PSU before so I thought I may have plugged some stuff in wrong, but I'm not really sure what at this point. I read in the instructions that the side that goes to the motherboard is distinct from the side that goes to the PSU, so I've followed their guidelines (the cables that can split into two connections are going to the motherboard), except for the fact that 24/28pin which required me to break the rule based on the number of pins.

Gosh I'm tired of having an expensive paperweight.

PS To those of you concerned, I realized that there's really only 1 slightly bent pin. I tried to move it back, and haven't been able to. However, based on the degree of bend it should still be making contact and functional. I also don't think it would be causing different symptoms with different PSUs, but I'm willing to be convinced on these points.

#14 ·
Bump

#15 ·
Ok, looks like it is time to start at the beginning. First question though: Do you have a motherboard speaker plugged in? If yes, continue on.

1. Pull the whole rig apart. Put the motherboard with cpu and 1 stick of memory on a box. Hook up only the 24pin, 8 pin cpu power, and 1 sata to your ssd. Unplug everything else from the board except the mobo speaker. Use a wire to jump the 2 power pins on the mobo. Your motherboard manual should include a list of beeb codes to help identify problems.

Anything? If no, swap stick of ram for the other one and repeat.

Anything? If no, check to make sure your psu is working correctly and the power switch is on. You can check the psu by jumping the 3rd and 4th pins on the clip side of the 24 pin (make sure the power supply is unplugged from everything first except the wall). The fan should start when you jump those pins. If no start, the psu is bad (note that this is highly unlikely, but still covering all our bases).

This picture shows the 4th and 5th pins, but as long as you get the 4th pin with a ground (pin 3 or 5), it will react the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.